VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I would like to post a question. If this post is in the wrong place,

Recently, I find that recording gameplay footage off my laptop has a problem. I tried using a software recorder called Bandicam, & when I start up my game (which requires high graphics), the gameplay appears to be lagging badly (around 7-15 fps), & the video appears a bit more smoothly, but still lagging. Note that no other programs other than my recording software is on, & I maximize my processing power by using Game Booster.

As a near-perfectionist who wants to provide good gameplay footage for my viewers, I am trying to find a way to make the recording smoother. Here are my stats:

Notebook: HP Pavilion dv6-6144vt
    Processor: Intel Core i7-2630M (2GHz)
    Graphics Card: Nvida Radeon HD 6490M / Mobile Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Card: IDT High Definition Audio Codec / Intel(R) Display Audio
    RAM: 4GB DDR3

I have been considering several options, like upgrading my RAM (my laptop is capable of taking up to 8GB). I even thought about using HDMI cable to connect to my Panasonic HDC-SD80 (my laptop has a HDMI cable), but I have checked several sites and found that I might not be able to use this method.

Any kind of help and advise is appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried fraps also?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used to be a user of Fraps, but the lag is worse than Bandicam. I know both are still being compared but I like Bandicam due to usage history.

I would like to say that the video is already lagging a bit (a video shown in the game had a video-audio problem where the audio plays about 2x faster than the video (2.5-3x when Bandicam is recording).

So should I go for a RAM upgrade to increase the game smoothness?
    Quote Quote  
  4. A RAM upgrade isn't likely to help. What resolution are you playing at? Are you capturing at that full resolution? What frame rate are you trying to record at? Are you using some kind of compression codec? Which one?

As an experiment, lower your screen resolution to something low -- like 800x600. Try recording that at 30 fps. If that works fine you can try higher resolutions and higher frame rates.

Optimally, you want to record with a high speed, low compression codec like UT Video Codec, HuffYUV or MJPEG. Then compress that file later with a high compression codec like h.264 or Xvid. High compression codecs generally require lots of CPU power so you can't use them while recording. I would leave the audio uncompressed while recording too.

HDMI to your camcorder isn't likely to work. The HDMI port on your camcorder is almost certainly just an output for connecting it to a TV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A RAM upgrade isn't likely to help. What resolution are you playing at? Are you capturing at that full resolution? What frame rate are you trying to record at? Are you using some kind of compression codec? Which one?

As an experiment, lower your screen resolution to something low -- like 800x600. Try recording that at 30 fps. If that works fine you can try higher resolutions and higher frame rates.

Optimally, you want to record with a high speed, low compression codec like UT Video Codec, HuffYUV or MJPEG. Then compress that file later with a high compression codec like h.264 or Xvid. High compression codecs generally require lots of CPU power so you can't use them while recording. I would leave the audio uncompressed while recording too.

HDMI to your camcorder isn't likely to work. The HDMI port on your camcorder is almost certainly just an output for connecting it to a TV.
    Just what I want to hear, thanks!

The FPS that I record at is roughly 8-15 fps depending on the scenario of the gameplay, like if there's big explosions the fps is lower.

I will work on the resolution when I got time. But the current resolution I'm running is full screen, at 1360X738. I have tried 720p in Windows mode but it worked out worse.

Tried 800x600 and the graphics turned out smoother. Haven't tried updating yet, but I will do that later today when I have the time.

And as much as I like to put it at 720p and 1080p on Youtube, 800x600 will appear grainy. But if it helps to smoothen the gameplay, I'll be glad.

Bandicam's recording format are as follows:

Video
    Size: Full Size
    FPS: 30
    Codec: Motion JPEG
    Bit Rate: 4000 kbps (fixed)
    Quality: 80

Audio
    Channels: Stereo
    Frequency: 48kHz
    Codec: PCM
    Bitrate: 192kbps (fixed)

Please note that some options are fixed at the moment.

EDIT: I will post up a footage later to show my initial recording test I did a few days ago, if required.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Make sure your laptop isn't set in a power saver mode. You want the CPU to be running at full speed all the time. Run Task Manager in the background while playing/recording. What does it show for CPU usage?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Make sure your laptop isn't set in a power saver mode. You want the CPU to be running at full speed all the time. Run Task Manager in the background while playing/recording. What does it show for CPU usage?
    Can't check right now. But the battery settings are in Game Mode (I use Game Booster when I play my games). Will post the info up later. But are there other things I need to find out?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a new kid on the block. Mirillis Action! Might be worth a look.
    Last edited by olyteddy; 15th Mar 2012 at 22:52.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been around for a while, occasionally coming back for answers. But I'm still new in recording high end graphic games.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hope my slang 'new kid on the block' didn't confuse you. I've added a link to my previous post for a low impact screen recorder. It's called Action!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok... You did confuse me there... But I'll check it out in a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tested out the other resolutions, and I have managed to find one that somehow works (with a little lag though). The resolution size is 1024x768. The fps on Bandicam actually reads about 10+ to 20+ range while recording, & 40 fps when there's a black screen in between cutscenes.

Just a quality test here:

Quote Quote  
  13. I found software which is suitable for recording games. It is easy to handle and works well. It enables you to record your games with sound. there is no time limitation for recording. all the items could be pre-set. the playback is also in good condition.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was having a little trouble with Mirillis Action, but after a conversion my video editing software, Premiere Pro, was able to read the video without problems. Good thing it records the mic too, so I don't have to open Audacity to record my voice for live commentary.

@Nicole418: I wonder if it records mic too. Currently my stereo mix cannot work for recording.
    Quote Quote  
  15. yes, you are entitled to record withh system sound, microphone or both. the files will be saved in wmv format, you can convert them to the format directly, if necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by darkdestiny View Post
    Was having a little trouble with Mirillis Action, but after a conversion my video editing software, Premiere Pro, was able to read the video without problems. Good thing it records the mic too, so I don't have to open Audacity to record my voice for live commentary.

@Nicole418: I wonder if it records mic too. Currently my stereo mix cannot work for recording.
    yes, you are entitled to record with system sound, microphone, or both.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nicole418 View Post
    yes, you are entitled to record withh system sound, microphone or both. the files will be saved in wmv format, you can convert them to the format directly, if necessary.
    Alright! As long as it can record in uncompressed & HD, it'll be worth checking it out.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After about a month of fiddling around, I think Action is a little hard to manage. Plus while recording gameplay, my video freezes for as long as 30 minutes, even though I was playing in the game just fine.

Might switch back to Bandicam until I manage to get the problem resolved or get another recording device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for long time to response.

For any PC try DXTORY. the best program to record PC games.

No 4Gb limit used on FRAPS. I record 600GB file...PERFECT play and edit.

This tool has a feature that you can split the file record on up to 3 hds for better performance and then join only in a video clip.

This feature has solved many problems with my friends who use notebook to capture

You can use their own codec or test other more common.

Always use the UT VIDEO CODEC YUY2 mode, faster. You can record at a lower resolution than the playing, you can write to the window, you can do everything with this program.

Look this post: http://forum.outerspace.terra.com.br/showpost.php?p=8891290&postcount=33

Check your MP to treasure.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Sorry for long time to response.

For any PC try DXTORY. the best program to record PC games.

No 4Gb limit used on FRAPS. I record 600GB file...PERFECT play and edit.

This tool has a feature that you can split the file record on up to 3 hds for better performance and then join only in a video clip.

This feature has solved many problems with my friends who use notebook to capture

You can use their own codec or test other more common.

Always use the UT VIDEO CODEC YUY2 mode, faster. You can record at a lower resolution than the playing, you can write to the window, you can do everything with this program.

Look this post: http://forum.outerspace.terra.com.br/showpost.php?p=8891290&postcount=33

Check your MP to treasure.

Claudio
    Thank you for the suggestion. Just a few questions about this program:

1. Is it capable of recording both in-game audio & microphone?
    2. What video format (mp4, avi etc.) does this record in?
    I will return to using Bandicam for now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkdestiny View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion. Just a few questions about this program:

1. Is it capable of recording both in-game audio & microphone?
    2. What video format (mp4, avi etc.) does this record in?
    I will return to using Bandicam for now.
    1 - Yes. You can record 2 "sound sources" at sametime.
    2 - AVI

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  22. Searching for knowledge. trodas's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have no problemo recording with Bandicam 1280x1024 at 60fps, but the videofiles are HUGE. It is no problemo, YewTube can take 4,5+ G files (might get interesting using 13G+ files), but the problem is Vimeo.
    They limit the filesize to 498MB and that means reencoding with some compressor. There was suggested the Xvid, but I find the lack of details in dark places disturbing, even when I crank the 1st pass encode bitrate all the way up to maximal 4854 kbps. That is sad. Anyone know of better suitable codec for 1280x1024 60Hz video...?

Some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeCqIuLwk3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XQi6OFyAk

Reencoded by Xvid same video on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/103802182
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by trodas View Post
    the problem is Vimeo. They limit the filesize to 498MB and that means reencoding with some compressor. There was suggested the Xvid, but I find the lack of details in dark places disturbing, even when I crank the 1st pass encode bitrate all the way up to maximal 4854 kbps.
    The bitrate setting isn't used in the first pass. You just have to use more bitrate in the second pass. Make sure your Min Quantizers aren't set too high.

Originally Posted by trodas View Post
    Anyone know of better suitable codec for 1280x1024 60Hz video...?
    Use an h.264 (AVC) encoder like x264.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Remember too, whatever encoding settings you use, the version shown by vimeo is reencoded, so the quality takes a hit. (Same for YouTube.) Vimeo Plus members can download your original file if you allow it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	game.png
Views:	741
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	26975
    Quote Quote  
  25. Searching for knowledge. trodas's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo - oh, I did misslead you. I used only the one pass encoding, where the top bitrate limit is 4854 kbps... I leaved the Xvid settings on default. Is that wrong...?

Give it a try. Any good suggestion for codecs like you mentioned? Is not the CUDA encoding by GFX card are supposed to use this codec already?

smrpix - good call. Original upload was 488MB or so and even in it, the quality takes a good hit. Similar as this 60fps testing example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-RKhfJAgs

Original file is 11 041 135 198 bytes long, lol. And the quality is, well, uncomparable. The textures are washed out a lot...
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by trodas View Post
    Give it a try. Any good suggestion for codecs like you mentioned? Is not the CUDA encoding by GFX card are supposed to use this codec already?
    If you're using a VFW based program try x264vfw. If you can upload MKV or MP4 files try using Handbrake. It has x264 and GPU accelerated h.264 encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Hi ,

My try .

1st batch file ( using Darby_Crash's file api.php )
    Code:
    php api_60.php http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p-RKhfJAgs
    in the file history.txt , selected one link ( above 6 given )

2nd batch file
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "http://tc.v19.cache3.googlevideo.com/...id=o-ACmNXD3T3h5gH_0KnY9h0v7vpq8-Um4sWlTKYjutHFVD" -bsf h264_mp4toannexb -acodec copy -f mpegts "file_Quate3.ts"
    Mediainfo
    Code:
    General
    ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
    Complete name                            : E:\PHP\file_Quate3.ts
    Format                                   : MPEG-TS
    File size                                : 695 MiB
    Duration                                 : 48mn 28s
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 2 003 Kbps

Video
    ID                                       : 256 (0x100)
    Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
    Format                                   : MPEG Video
    Format version                           : Version 2
    Format profile                           : Main@High 1440
    Format settings, BVOP                    : No
    Format settings, Matrix                  : Default
    Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
    Codec ID                                 : 2
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Width                                    : 900 pixels
    Height                                   : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 5:4
    Frame rate                               : 30.000 fps
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Compression mode                         : Lossy

Audio
    ID                                       : 257 (0x101)
    Format                                   : AAC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version                           : Version 4
    Format profile                           : LC
    Muxing mode                              : ADTS
    Codec ID                                 : 15
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Delay relative to video                  : 24ms

Menu
    ID                                       : 4096 (0x1000)
    List                                     : 256 (0x100) (MPEG Video) / 257 (0x101) (AAC)
    Service name                             : Service01
    Service provider                         : FFmpeg
    Service type                             : digital television
    Regards .
    Quote Quote