VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    if you guys have not seen any articles on what HP has been working on, then you definitely will want to read this article:

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-type-computer-capable-calculating-640tbs-data...h-second-could

The result is a system six times more powerful than existing servers that requires eighty times less energy. According to HP, The Machine can manage 160 petabytes of data in a mere 250 nanoseconds. And, what’s more, this isn’t just for huge supercomputers- it could be used in smaller devices such as smartphones and laptops. During a keynote speech given at Discover, chief technology officer Martin Fink explained that if the technology was scaled down, smartphones could be fabricated with 100 terabytes of memory.
    according to HP devices with this tech should start surfacing around 2018.

imagine if this is even remotely true, 600 petabytes of data in a second, a BD is about 25gb, you could encode tens of thousands of BD in a second.

just wow.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Awesome if it pans out. They should fast track this, put more $ into R&D

We're getting closer to developing Skynet
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that , because I wasn't aware of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memristor and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memistor

The Skynet, the Matrix and the Overmind are coming \o/

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Holy SHIT!!

That was awesome. I have GOT to check out that opensource Machine OS when it gets released to the public.

Thanks, deadrats.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds good,just rather have another company doing this than hp.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    imagine if this is even remotely true, 600 petabytes of data in a second, a BD is about 25gb, you could encode tens of thousands of BD in a second.

just wow.
    Unfortunately, since you don't work in IT, you have completely misunderstood the point of the article. "The Machine" is designed basically to crunch data. The article doesn't say that it makes EVERYTHING faster. It just crunches data really fast. This has absolutely nothing at all to do with encoding BD. There are lots of uses of computers that this will be useless for. If this comparison works for you, it's kind of, sort of a small version of IBM's Watson technology.

This will no doubt be followed by posts from others who say that I do not understand what I am talking about, but I will be proven right here. I can wait.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll be the first to say you are wrong. HP highlights the Machine's ability to process data, but if you watch the presentation, it is clear that HP plans to use the same technology for general-purpose computing too. Using memristors instead of volatile memory and SSDs or HDDs and replacing some electrical connections with silicon photonic connections would make some things much faster.

That being said, lots of times revolutionary R&D projects announced by major corporations don't become actual products that consumers can buy within the predicted time frame, if ever.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Tell ya what - wake me up in 5 years if this actually makes it to market for the common man and really and truly results in lightning fast encodes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Tell ya what - wake me up in 5 years if this actually makes it to market for the common man and really and truly results in lightning fast encodes.
    Maybe if you bothered to read my entire post you would see that I don't think the dates HP gave are realistic.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The project will be late. We won't see anything until 2020 at the earliest. HP will under-deliver on performance, over-deliver on power consumption. The rest of the world won't be standing still. Intel and Arm will have similar performance characteristics by then.

The proposed architecture uses specialized cores and lots of high bandwidth memory with optical interconnects. They will concentrate on big database servers (lots of bandwidth, not much computation) first. Video encoding will not be on their list of priorities.
    Quote Quote  
  11. When and if it works, NSA and other Government security agencies will be the first to purchase this technology. And they will buy all that can be produced for a time. Just like they are purchasing ammo today. ( I still can't buy 22 long rifle ammo here in Oregon as the Feds are buying all that is made as fast as it is produced)
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!