VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I overclocked my AMD Athlon II X4 630 to 3.2GHz (stock 2.8GHz) using my ASRock OC Tuner which is one of my motherboard utilities. It runs smoothly which is great.

Here's where I get confused. I upgraded my RAM to G.SKILL DDR2 1066 4094MB but look at the speeds in the photos

Click image for larger version

Name:	mem.PNG
Views:	996
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1595

Name:	memory.PNG
Views:	907
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1596

The frequency was 200 before I overclocked the CPU and went up to 228 when I overclocked. I'm not 100% sure but it doesn't seem to be running fast enough, or I may be reading it wrong??

I'm hoping to get my RAM running at stock speed or even faster, I know that OC is a long process but maybe if I could get info on how to get it stock speed.

My mobo allows me to set it to 533MHz ddr2 1066 in bios but the trc timings only go to 42 if I can remember right. And nothing changes with those settings. So am i doing something wrong?

I also set the volts in bios to 2.08 but the screen shots are with it set to 1.8 (asrock reads it as 1.85)

Name:	oc.PNG
Views:	683
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	1597

Name:	voltage.PNG
Views:	544
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	1598

So do I need to adjust my multiplier, frequency...? Or am I way off track. I'm not too good with this stuff.

RAM link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
    Mobo link: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K10N78
    Thanks for any help
    Last edited by HotDamn!; 27th Apr 2010 at 19:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Memory need s be fast enough
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Memory need s be fast enough
    Hu?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Real world performance is hardly effected by minor differences in memory clock speed and RAS/CAS delays. So even if your memory is only running about 915 MHz instead of 1066 MHz it's not costing you much of anything. Probably less than 1 percent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Real world performance is hardly effected by minor differences in memory clock speed and RAS/CAS delays. So even if your memory is only running about 915 MHz instead of 1066 MHz it's not costing you much of anything. Probably less than 1 percent.
    But it only seems to be running at 228 MHz.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, there's a 4x multiplier on that clock.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    No, there's a 4x multiplier on that clock.
    Ahh thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes in order to get a stable cpu overclock the ram speeds have to be lowered. Also it depends on the brand/type of ram as well as the motherboard. Some brands/models of motherboards and ram are not very good at overclocking at all. This is what I've learned so far in overclocking. Some GSKill ram kits aren't good overclockers but their PI series and Redlines are excellent from what I've read. I've been using Mushkin ram lately and have had good results. I do own a few GSKill ram sets too. I even have my parents pc using Corsair ddr2-800 ram that's overclocked along with a overclocked Intel wolfdale E6300 cpu.

You could try upping the cpu frequency first to like 235 and see if it's stable by running OCCT and Prime95. If you're a member over at overclock.net post your questions on overclocking your 630 propus and asrock mobo. Members there can give you pointers as well. Getting your cpu overclock to be stable should be done first. I'm sure other members like redwudz will add comments as well.

Take a look at my Intel Q9550 overclock as the ram speed is DDR2-1066 but it's really running lower than that. I'm using a Gigabyte UD3P mobo with that Q9550.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CPUID_Q9550_CPU.png
Views:	1114
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1610  

Name:	1_Q9550_RAM_CPUID.png
Views:	1089
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1611  

Name:	Q9550_CPUID.png
Views:	696
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1612  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, I'm waiting for a response from a guy at overclock.net. He might be about to walk me through how to overclock the CPU/RAM the right way. He was talking about changing my HT and I started to get confused so hopefully he'll give me a run down. Still open to help here though.

Thanks

I'm going to go test the CPU with Prime95 now. I'll post back with end results as soon as this guy helps me out
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your using 1066 RAM so you should be able to run at 533 in CPUZ. I don't think Asrock has memory multipliers in BIOS. It uses speed settings-266-333-400,etc. You need to test which speed setting gives the highest memory speed with stable operation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HotDamn! View Post
    thanks, I'm waiting for a response from a guy at overclock.net. He might be about to walk me through how to overclock the CPU/RAM the right way. He was talking about changing my HT and I started to get confused so hopefully he'll give me a run down. Still open to help here though.

Thanks

I'm going to go test the CPU with Prime95 now. I'll post back with end results as soon as this guy helps me out
    Have you made any headway yet with your overclock?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What freaks me out the most is that it reads as PC2-6400 RAM when it should read PC2-8500 RAM.

I've had it explained before that although it says the DRAM frequency is 533 Mhz that it's double that at 1066.

I've also read somewhere that Gigabyte P35 boards don't support over 800Mhz (I finally got my BIOS reading 1066) even though they say they support 1200Mhz but that the P45 boards will with a BIOS update.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 28th Apr 2010 at 02:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^Yuh, go figure why it reads PC2-6400 ram when it suppose to be PC2-8500 ram...but if you see what my ram is set at it's only 1014....from what I've learned/read about overclocking sometimes in order to get a stable overclocked cpu the ram settings have to be lowered....I've had this Q9550 system for a few years now and haven't had any problems with it. It's my video encoding pc.

My parents pc is running my old Gigabyte P35- DS3L mobo with a overclocked Intel Wolfdale E6300 cpu and 2gb ddr2-800 Corsair ram overclocked to either 900mhz or 1000mhz....I can't remember which it is but I know it's not running at 800mhz.....go figure huh!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post

Thanks

It's still pretty confusing since my mobo doesn't have a multiplier for my memory, or I just can find it.. So idk if I'll get a complete stable setup since my trc timing is 48 (suggested in cpu-z for 533) but my mobo only goes to 42 so I left it at auto and it gets set to 18..hmmm hope it doesnt mess me up too much.

At the moment I'm just raising the CPU Frequency to check stability with Prime95. Man I'm stumped but want to get it clocked high and stable sooo bad
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They were walking me through it and I may have frustrated them with my lack of OC knowledge because they haven't said much lately

I'm under AMD General at Overclock.net
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Thanks

It's still pretty confusing since my mobo doesn't have a multiplier for my memory, or I just can find it.. So idk if I'll get a complete stable setup since my trc timing is 48 (suggested in cpu-z for 533) but my mobo only goes to 42 so I left it at auto and it gets set to 18..hmmm hope it doesnt mess me up too much.

At the moment I'm just raising the CPU Frequency to check stability with Prime95. Man I'm stumped but want to get it clocked high and stable sooo bad
    I did see your thread. Your overclock could be limited because of your motherboard. Some motherboard bios options are very limited when it comes to overclocking. Also the GSKill set you have doesn't overclock very well. If you can just save up some money and buy a new motherboard that has better options when it comes to overclocking. Try to stay one step ahead of the game so you'll have room to upgrade later. I try to do that when I buy computer stuff. They'll always be a faster cpu that will come out 3 - 6 months after you buy one.
    Don't feel bad because I'm still learning as well when it comes to overclocking. Most of those members at overclock.net are teens/college age who are hard core gamers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I think I'm going to take it back down to 3.2. Do you think I should lower the volts back to 1.35? it was stable with that but I'm still not sure about the memory. I may set it back to 400mhz 5-5-5-15-24-2T. I don't think my mobo will let me get the phenom settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I think I'm going to take it back down to 3.2. Do you think I should lower the volts back to 1.35? it was stable with that but I'm still not sure about the memory. I may set it back to 400mhz 5-5-5-15-24-2T. I don't think my mobo will let me get the phenom settings.
    Take your overclock back to what was stable for you. As I mentioned it's prolly your mobo that's holding you back. The 770, 785, 790 & 890 chipset mobo's are good overclockers. I believe Gigabyte & Asus are the more popular mobo's that people choose for overclocking. Save some $$$ and buy a new motherboard if you wanna overclock higher than 3.2. I prefer Gigabyte and used to use Asus alot during the Pentium 4 and socket 462 days. But Asus quality control went downhill so I switched to Gigabyte and never looked back.

Here's the mobo that I'm using with the 630 Propus.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128419

As for getting Phenom settings some mobo manufactures have updated bios firmware to accomodate the new AMD 6 core cpu. You could check the Asrock website if your mobo supports it.

I'm sure redwudz will comment in this thread. He's busy with his new HTPC and new AP adapter project. I believe he also has a 630 Propus on the way & I think with a Gigabyte GA-770-USB3 mobo.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128431
    Last edited by budz; 28th Apr 2010 at 04:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I set back and did some thinking. I still have 25 days to return my RAM to newegg and with the spare parts I have around the house I may take out this mobo and put my other AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU in it along with some old RAM and PS I have and sale it on Craigslist. I have a whole nothing computer sitting around and I didn't even realize it (besides another mobo). It should give me plenty for a new build

With all the stuff I'm about to sale and the money I get back from Newegg, hopefully with no complications, I'll have about $325. I got myself excited so I'm snapping pics of the old rig now and looking at what I may want from Newegg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Possible new build

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435 (may go lighter)

CPU: is of course the AMD Athlon ll X4 630 (already have)

Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

DVD Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030 (already have)

RAM: any suggestions???
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The 630 Propus should be here this afternoon, but it may take a day or two to install it in my HTPC. For the moment, I'll use the existing MB, a Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H. I'm looking for stable operation at 3.4Ghz and somewhat cooler temps than the existing AMD Phenom II 920. At the moment, it's idle temps are 42C. And that is at stock timings. The HTPC case is somewhat limited on cooling.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    The 630 Propus should be here this afternoon, but it may take a day or two to install it in my HTPC. For the moment, I'll use the existing MB, a Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H. I'm looking for stable operation at 3.4Ghz and somewhat cooler temps than the existing AMD Phenom II 920. At the moment, it's idle temps are 42C. And that is at stock timings. The HTPC case is somewhat limited on cooling.
    I have a GPU the size of my arm so I have my case open which is probably why mine stays so cool, and the house is always pretty cool.

I made another thread for my new build, possibly may try the board you or budz have. Can't wait for you to get yours up and running to see who gets better results, they may be really close, no rush though
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Possible new build

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435 (may go lighter)

CPU: is of course the AMD Athlon ll X4 630 (already have)

Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

DVD Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030 (already have)

RAM: any suggestions???
    You could post your build at overclock.net as well and see what suggestions you get.
    Here's the link for the Mushkin ram that I'm using. Whoas@the high price now! I double checked with MushkinSean at overclock.net that the ram was going to be compatible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226075

Just FYI I've been reading about some having vrm heat issues with Gigabyte 890 chipset mobo's when overclocking.

Here's some suggestions for a mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128427

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128398
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good idea, I'll go post there also. The RAM is a little high but I did read the reviews your talking about and that gave me a scare and wasn't too sure I really needed the 890 so I'll save some money on the board and possibly carry it over to the RAM. The boards you suggested look very nice, bookmarked!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    What freaks me out the most is that it reads as PC2-6400 RAM when it should read PC2-8500 RAM.
    I *think* that's because the highest JEDEC-spec'd clock rate is 400Mhz, hence PC2-6400. The 533MHz is listed as an EPP timing (Enhanced Performance Profile), which is not a JEDEC speed for that RAM.

Kinda confusing, since having the EPP timing G.Skill seems to be able to label the part with "-8500", this indicating the highest possible speed/bandwidth. But the highest that conforms to the JEDEC spec makes it technically "-6400" memory.

That's my understanding, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can correct or expand on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HotDamn I read through your Asrock mobo manual....you're only able to run DDR2-1066 if you use a Phenom cpu and you're not using one....thus you aren't able to use DDR2-1066 ram....another easy way out is to return the GSKill DDR2-1066 ram and get some GSKill DDR2-800 or Mushkin DDR2-800 ram.

Here's some suggestions for DDR2-800 Ram.

GSKill, $107.99, 4GB (2x2GB)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

I've used the above GSkill 2gb kits with no problems. I did a build for a ex-girl friend with the 2gb kit and it overclocked to 1066....Go figure! Only upped the cpu fsb. That pc is still going strong according to my ex-gf.

Mushkin, $119.99, 4GB, (2X2GB)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146726

This maybe a cheaper way out to get your overclock stable with that Asrock mobo or go with your latest plan to sell off that pc and mobo on craigslist. Then buy your new AM3 Gigabyte mobo and ram.
    Just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HotDamn I read through your Asrock mobo manual....you're only able to run DDR2-1066 if you use a Phenom cpu and you're not using one....thus you aren't able to use DDR2-1066 ram....another easy way out is to return the GSKill DDR2-1066 ram and get some GSKill DDR2-800 or Mushkin DDR2-800 ram.

Here's some suggestions for DDR2-800 Ram.

GSKill, $107.99, 4GB (2x2GB)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

I've used the above GSkill 2gb kits with no problems. I did a build for a ex-girl friend with the 2gb kit and it overclocked to 1066....Go figure! Only upped the cpu fsb. That pc is still going strong according to my ex-gf.

Mushkin, $119.99, 4GB, (2X2GB)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146726

This maybe a cheaper way out to get your overclock stable with that Asrock mobo or go with your latest plan to sell off that pc and mobo on craigslist. Then buy your new AM3 Gigabyte mobo and ram.
    Just my 2 cents!

If I don't get any buyers here soon then I'll be sure to go with one of these picks. I'm mostly getting people wanting bits and pieces of the computer on craigslist but I may sale piece by piece if I get most of it sold.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote