VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. JVC HR-S7800U, with Hauppauge HVR-1850. Even tested with ATI AIW2006.

I've been doing some tests, basically just practicing with my equipment and various proggies. I always start pc capturing 30 seconds before pressing play on the JVC. Upon opening a file in Virtualdub tonight, I noticed something in the 30 second pretrail... the "LINE 1" text looks like chroma shifting, even though vcr was still in standby.. not playing the tape. The Hauppauge definitely had a few coloured pixels overlapping, and even though the ATI was clearer.. it was still jagged.

Normal? Bad cable? Bad s-video output on JVC? Bad s-video inputs on Hauppauge and ATI?

Kinda defeats the purpose if the s-video connection's actually "adding" to the artifacts in the output.

edit:

Hauppauge is first image, and ATI is the second image.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hauppauge-svideo.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	12513  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ati-svideo.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	12514  

Quote Quote  
  2. Somewhere between bmp and jpg, and those pics washed out.. took camera shots instead.

Hauppauge is 1st, ATI is 2nd.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hauppauge-svideo-2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	12516  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ati-svideo-2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	12517  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest you get WinTV working first.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    I suggest you get WinTV working first.
    I've had it working for well over a year . HD OTA is fine, and SD cable input is fine.. as far as coax goes. Never tried RCA yet though.. just always use s-video.

But regardles.. you can clearly see it's happening with both the Hauppauge "and" ATI. It's not WinTV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry.. should'a mentioned the captures from both cards were done in VirtualVCR. Same symptoms displayed when capturing in Virtualdub as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by iamspuzzum View Post
    Somewhere between bmp and jpg, and those pics washed out.. took camera shots instead.

Hauppauge is 1st, ATI is 2nd.
    Your pics weren't washed out, but JPG isn't a good idea if you're trying to cap fine detail. Try PNG instead. Using a camera doesn't help, especially since its images are JPG to begin with.

A similar thread has been posted earlier. Illustrates a common problem with JVC. That's one glitch among others that prompted me to stop using JVC's a few years back. In any case, don't expect a perfectly clean digital image with less than $50,000 worth of capture gear and another $25,000 in software, but it's not difficult to get better results:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331681-s-video-artifacts?p=2137864&viewfull=1#post2137864

The earlier thread starts here, and covers a few other problems as well:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/331681-s-video-artifacts
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 04:15.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks samlyn

Virtualdub doesn't give option to output png... then again, copying to clipboard, I guess I could have saved as png . The camera pics show what I was describing though.

I just tested with a JVC HR-S5911U I had in storage.. same jagged image. I was going to say "maybe" it was interlacing(?), even though no tape was playing.. and thought the lines look spaced too far apart to be interlacing. But since you mention JVC's are common with this, I guess not.

I'll take a look at that thread... thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Crappy character generator in the VHS deck. That's all. The character generator in many devices creates a composite video signal. It's then split to s-video with a cheap filter if necessary. Hence the dot crawl artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks jagabo

I noticed it in the edges of images in a capture as well though.. a 15 year old tape (Canucks/Ducks in Japan), but chalked it up to the best the TBC could reproduce.. screen edges wavy without the TBC. Players all had jagged edges when zoomed in.. not interlace edges, but black "spikes".

I'm on the bus right now.. will upload example later.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Crappy character generator in the VHS deck. That's all. The character generator in many devices creates a composite video signal. It's then split to s-video with a cheap filter if necessary. Hence the dot crawl artifacts.
    Yep. I'm still not crazy about DigiPure, though. Maybe there's a hobby that just saves hours and hours of menu screens? Don't invite me over.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 04:15.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The black "spikes" are over sharpening artifacts. Turn off all sharpening filters.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Yes indeed, these JVCs have lousy character generators. I just put my 9911U on the scope and there is a measurable amount of signal dipping to sync level in the middle of the line! No wonder my TBC is never happy with the JVC "blue screen of weirdness."
    Quote Quote