VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Investigating vdub+huffyuv avi for vhs/hi8 movies. Posts seem to indicate YUY2/UYVY/YVYU are preferred. Haven't been able to find much more about them other than definitions at http://www.fourcc.org/yuv.php. 'Fraid that does tell me much. Did tests and YUY2 seems to have a slightly small file size than UYVY; images seems about the same. Didn't try YVYU.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The only difference is in the order in which the Y, U, and V components are stored YUYV, UYVY, or YVYU. All three have the same information. It's possible that particular codecs might be able to compress some better than others. And it's possible that compressibility will vary with content. Use whatever your capture device and software support.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have spent the last month & half reading, learning & tinkering. Like so many others, didn't really know what I was getting into Finally starting to read (instead of Search) in the Capture Forum & there, plain as day,
    AVI. YUY2 video compressed with HuffYUV, uncompressed PCM audio
    Oh, thank you, jagabo.
    Last edited by dianedebuda; 15th Jan 2014 at 21:51.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It doesn't matter if you use YUY2, UYVY, or YVYU -- except that some graphics cards, codecs, and programs don't do all three. Consider using UT Video Codec or Lagarith. The are also lossless but compress better than HuffYUV. Though they have less support with editors. Lagarith may be too slow for video capture unless you have a fast multicore CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  5. AVI. YUY2 video compressed with HuffYUV, uncompressed PCM audio
    As you figured out already. Further more, most of video editors will not have any problem with AVI (YUV2 + PCM).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your capture device supports YUY2, then use that and use it with HuffYUV (and PCM audio). This way, you will have more options open to you on your way to the finished product in quality and reliability with capturing, editing, filtering, etc.

Stick with the more sure and more supported method at the beginning.

When your project is finished, that's when you can investigate other options, whether it's better compression for archiving, or playback, etc.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 16th Jan 2014 at 02:12.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote