VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I am very very new to CS5.5 and I need some help coz I think I am messing up. I am capturing videos using my Sony HDR CX240 Handycam and I am trying to edit these videos and upload them onto youtube.

The properties for these videos are as follows:
    It is a .MTS file
    File Format: PAL HDMV
    Video Type: H.264 Video, Upper Field First
    Attributes: 24 bits, 1920 x 1080, 16:9
    Frame Rate: 25.00 frames/sec

Now when I open Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and I try creating a new project, I make the following selections:

Screen 1
    Video Display Format: Timecode
    Audio Display Format: Audio Samples
    Capture Format: HDV

Am I right in selecting these?

Screen 2
    Available Presets
    I don't know what to select here so I have been selecting:
    HDV - HDV 1080i30(60i)

Is this correct? I am confused because the camera is supposed to be 60i however it is 25 fps so I am confused between selecting 1080i30(60i) and 1080i25(50i). Please help.

Moving on, whenever I am done making the video I first render it before I export it. Is this correct? Do I have to render it or am I just wasting time?

Onto export settings...I am so lost here.

Here's what I have been doing so far:

File - Export - Media

Export Settings:

Format: H.264

Preset: YouTube Widescreen HD

Basic Video Settings:
    I have been changing these because I saw my file is in PAL format not NTSC so I have been selecting PAL as TV Standard but the file becomes too small and it takes FOREVER to export. So I recently chose to stick to NTSC because the size is larger and the rendering took only a fraction of the time. When I select NTSC the frame rate changes to 29.97 as default so I change it back to 25. Is this correct?

I want to know which output settings I should use for best quality and also for sub-standard quality. Please.

Okay guys these are my questions. I am really sorry to harass y'all with so many questions but please help.

Thank you in advance for taking the time out to help me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Screen1 doesn't really matter, because you're not capturing, leave it as is

Screen2: Sequence settings should match the actual clips

You're using AVCHD PAL 1080i25(50i) , not HDV
    There is no need to render before

Export settings - Youtube preset is fine, but you should be using 1920x1080p25 , not 29.97 .

What makes you say the "camera is supposed to be 60i ?" India is 50Hz country, should have 50i cameras. To double check use mediainfo, in case premiere is interpreting it incorrectly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Screen1 doesn't really matter, because you're not capturing, leave it as is

Screen2: Sequence settings should match the actual clips

You're using AVCHD PAL 1080i25(50i) , not HDV
    There is no need to render before

Export settings - Youtube preset is fine, but you should be using 1920x1080p25 , not 29.97 .
    Thank you so much!

I don't know how to get to 1920x1080p25 though. If I try to increase the width/height I don't think it works.

Also, what if I wanted to purposely reduce the size of the file? Like fit file to 100 MB or something like that? Is that possible?

I want to know two things: (a) how to get the best quality possible in a reasonable file size and (b) a customizable quality based on the size I want. Can you please help me?

What makes you say the "camera is supposed to be 60i ?" India is 50Hz country, should have 50i cameras. To double check use mediainfo, in case premiere is interpreting it incorrectly
    I actually clicked on this link: http://store.sony.com/full-hd-60p-camcorder-zid27-HDRCX240//cat-27-catid-All-Handycam-Camcorders

But I am probably making a mistake. I should have checked this: http://www.sony.co.in/product/hdr-cx240e

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Andalite; 27th Jul 2014 at 17:07.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There are many detailed guides with screenshots, and other video tutorial guides on youtube/ vimeo showing you step by step how to do this. Just do a quick search on google

I can't remember if CS5.5 had it or if it was introduced in CS6, but there should be a "match sequence settings" box

The important points are to use matching media, sequence , and export settings. You don't want to have 29.97 vs. 25 mismatches, or HDV 1440x1080 size mismatch - because not only will it take longer to process with the wrong sequence setting , the quality will be lower because you will get frameblended conversions (or if you have frame blending off, you will have duplicates or dropped frames; duplicates in your case because you'd be going from 25 source => 29.97 )

If the preset doesn't allow you to adjust things, you might have to adjust the profile and level. Profile "High", and Level "4.1" should allow most things. Or use the generic "h264" setting, HDTV 1080p25 high quality or something like that (it might be called something slightly different) , instead of the youtube preset. Or use "custom"

Filesize = bitrate * running time , so if you need a specific filesize you can use various bitrate calculators online to determine the required bitrate. Remember to factor in audio & video bitrate

*You might even consider using 1080p50 for your youtube uploads, because in the near future youtube will allow upto 60p. They archive the original file even from past uploads years ago. This requires Level 4.2
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are many detailed guides with screenshots, and other video tutorial guides on youtube/ vimeo showing you step by step how to do this. Just do a quick search on google

I can't remember if CS5.5 had it or if it was introduced in CS6, but there should be a "match sequence settings" box

The important points are to use matching media, sequence , and export settings. You don't want to have 29.97 vs. 25 mismatches, or HDV 1440x1080 size mismatch - because not only will it take longer to process with the wrong sequence setting , the quality will be lower because you will get frameblended conversions (or if you have frame blending off, you will have duplicates or dropped frames; duplicates in your case because you'd be going from 25 source => 29.97 )

If the preset doesn't allow you to adjust things, you might have to adjust the profile and level. Profile "High", and Level "4.1" should allow most things. Or use the generic "h264" setting, HDTV 1080p25 high quality or something like that (it might be called something slightly different) , instead of the youtube preset. Or use "custom"

Filesize = bitrate * running time , so if you need a specific filesize you can use various bitrate calculators online to determine the required bitrate. Remember to factor in audio & video bitrate

*You might even consider using 1080p50 for your youtube uploads, because in the near future youtube will allow upto 60p. They archive the original file even from past uploads years ago. This requires Level 4.2
    Thank you very very much. I will toy around with the export settings and figure out something that is both not time consuming and the quality stays high. I tried to that HDTV 1080p25 high quality and the file turned out to be 1.5 GB for 5 minutes. I can't have that lol... Thanks for the tip on profile and level. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as matching the sequence to the imported clips, you could just create a new project (settings do not matter), import clips, right-click on an imported clip, and select NEW SEQUENCE FROM CLIP. Then, you can drag all matching clips to the newly created sequence.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, there are three things that you need to know before you get started. What you WANT, what you HAVE, and what you want to GET. Except in special circumstances.

If you have a mixed bag of media, you then proceed to conform and edit everything towards what you want to GET.
    Last edited by budwzr; 30th Jul 2014 at 22:44. Reason: To comply with Homeland Security Mandates
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!