VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I took something that's in DVD structure (VTS, VOB, etc) and burned it to a blu-ray disc would it still play in a standalone Blu-Ray player?

For example, if I took an entire season of a tv series on DVD, ripped it to my hard drive, and authored a very very large "DVD" with my own menus would it actually work?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't know if this has been tested.

Can it be burned? Yes. If the disc image is 2048-Byte/sector length (and within capacity limits and you can use UDF 2.60 filesystem), it should be burnable to ANY optical medium (CD, DVD, BD).

Would it PLAY?
    Would depend on the player firmware - does the player choose "applications" based on the medium (CD vs. DVD vs. BD vs. USB/etc)? or does the application (Raw Files vs. AudioCD vs. VideoCD vs. DVD-Video vs. DVD-Audio vs. BDMV etc.) chose the available/acceptable medium? or are they independent?
    Might play on None, a few, some, or All...

Try it out and see,
    (I don't have any BD-RWs to spare or I would)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't believe it would. However DVD compliant elements will work on a BluRay Disc when authored as a bluray. MultiAVCHD can take DVD structures and and author them in a way that is playable, including menus.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote