VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, new to the forum, pretty sure this counts under removable drives, I'm working on a project where we need to transfer video from a P2 card, and we want to take advantage of our Mac's thunderbolt connection.

I've search so far, and I've only found two solutions that seem to avoid a major bottleneck, because there is no existing direct P2 card to thunderbolt method. The first method is a $1500 solution, but I'm not even 100% sure it's worth the cost.

The second solution I've seen involve these two: A thunderbolt to express card adaptor here.

and then an expresscard to p2 card adapter here.

Before I take a plunge, could anyone give me their expert opinion on whether these will work, or if you have a better solution in the meantime? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unless your destination HDs are also RAIDed, you really won't be able to fully take advantage of the Thunderbolt's connection speeds.
    So I would suggest a simpler, more straightforward and proven FAST solution (though a little pricier): get Panasonic's AJ-PCD30PJ (~$2300) 3slot p2 reader with usb3 interface.

Or go for the cheaper, slot AJ-PCD2GP ($450) and live with its slower usb2 transfer speeds.

Not really anything in-between.

Btw, a regular pc card reader would be your speed bottleneck since it wasn't designed to handle RAID speeds that exist on a p2.
    And the matrox box is NOT what you want, as it does REAL-TIME, stream-based capture, not file/block-based transfer.

I can think of a few other options...

Scott
    Quote Quote