VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible first off to put 720p on standard DVD and if so can it be played back in hd on a blueray player? If not why? I have done a fair amount of research here and elsewhere and have not found any satisfactory answers. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Multi-AVCHD will let you put 720p material on a standard DVD in the AVCHD format, which is playable on many bluray players and the PS3. It will not play on a standard DVD player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Neither 720p, 1080i nor 1080p are supported AT ALL on compliant, official SD DVD-Video discs.

If you put 720p material on a Data DVD disc, and your bluray player can read the disc and parse the filesystem and supports the 720p's file format - yeah - it'll play.

Or do AVCHD/AVCREC for BD-9 (again, assuming your BDplayer supports it).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the answers. So assuming that I can put 720p avchd ( i have vegas 8 which I believe supports this format) onto a standard dvd and my bluray can read it and play it, will it then play in hd?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, *if* your player supports AVCHD, BD 5/9 etc. What specific model of standalone BD player do you have?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdevo
    Thanks for the answers. So assuming that I can put 720p avchd ( i have vegas 8 which I believe supports this format) onto a standard dvd and my bluray can read it and play it, will it then play in hd?
    Maybe. Some BluRay players support AVCDH, some do not. Some BluRay players won't play AVCHD discs but they will play BluRay format burned to DVD media. And still others may not play the discs no matter what you do. You just have to try and see what your player likes.

If you are going to be burning to DL media, we would strongly recommend the use only of Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and the use of ImgBurn (it's free) for burning.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hey guys I have a Panasonic DMP-BD601. It apparently supports AVCHD and BD. Oh and why Verbatim? I hate Vebatim. They owe me $10 on a rebate they gyped me out of. Any way thanks for the comments.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Because they seem to be consistently better supported in readability, particularly as regards DualLayer. There are a few other good brands/formulations, but they are neither as inexpensive nor as commonly found as Verbatims.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yeah, it's been the experience of most members here that *only* Verbatim makes a reasonably reliable DVD+R_ DL disc. They're simply more difficult to make than single layer discs. It's something of a miracle that a dye-based dual layer disc works at all. Pressed dual-layer discs are an entirely different thing.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I recommend AVCHDcoder; but of course there is Ripbot, Gotsent, Multiavchd & BDRebuilder that all make AVCHD’s. I haven’t seen a player Blu-ray player that hasn’t played AVCHD; however some brands like Samsung will not play DVD +R only DVD –R. I’ve used Ritek DVD –R DL from Newegg with only 2 or 3 coasters out of 50; while I’d prefer Verbatim they are about $2.00 a piece for DVD –R DL. I’ve tried a new brand for DVD+R (from newegg) called Optical Quantum reasonably priced & have had no problems thus far.

jimdevo you state “have done a fair amount of research here and elsewhere and have not found any satisfactory answers.” I don’t see how this is possible since making AVCHD’s are all over this forum & tutorials at the top of the home page.

http://adubvideo.net/how-to/backing-blurays-avchdcoder

https://www.videohelp.com/guides/category/how-to-convert-to-blu-ray-video-avchd-4;72#4;72

Enjoy!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by a1677c
    Optical Quantum reasonably priced & have had no problems thus far.
    I've been looking into them for printable Blu-Ray discs and that does seem to be the consensus opinion for those. Doubt their DVDs would be any different.
    Quote Quote  
  12. They make them in printable form for DVD in this brand too but I do not know about BD. As for a source in the USA here is a link http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100071+50008354&QksAut...e=&srchInDesc=
    Quote Quote  
  13. I do know they make printable Blu-Ray, they showed up when I was googling. Having trouble getting them to Australia, though.

However, this isn't my thread.
    Quote Quote  
  14. [quote="a1677c"]I recommend AVCHDcoder; but of course there is Ripbot, Gotsent, Multiavchd & BDRebuilder that all make AVCHD’s. I haven’t seen a player Blu-ray player that hasn’t played AVCHD; however some brands like Samsung will not play DVD +R only DVD –R. I’ve used Ritek DVD –R DL from Newegg with only 2 or 3 coasters out of 50; while I’d prefer Verbatim they are about $2.00 a piece for DVD –R DL. I’ve tried a new brand for DVD+R (from newegg) called Optical Quantum reasonably priced & have had no problems thus far.

jimdevo you state “have done a fair amount of research here and elsewhere and have not found any satisfactory answers.” I don’t see how this is possible since making AVCHD’s are all over this forum & tutorials at the top of the home page.

You are changing the op. I did not know that you had to convert a video to avchd or record it to avchd in order for it to play on a bluray in hd from a regular dvd. I did not know anything about avchd...but you know what? I do now!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this isn't the same as a program but if you get an upscaling dvd player, it will upscale whatever disc to 720, 1080i and 1080p. I have one of the best upscaling dvd players and it works great, though everything I've burned wasn't in original quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdevo View Post
    Thanks for the answers. So assuming that I can put 720p avchd ( i have vegas 8 which I believe supports this format) onto a standard dvd and my bluray can read it and play it, will it then play in hd?
    I think AVCHD export started with Vegas Pro 9, not 8.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote