VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Here's the thing: I have a Samsung videocam that stores its files in MP4.
    Since I'm not interested (at least not now) in authoring blu ray discs (and the files are not even HD), what's the best way to do a dvd from these MP4 files?

Here you can see the specifics (from Gspot) of a file recorded by my videocamera, so you can figure it out better:

I tried various programs to "downgrade" MP4 to MPEG2, but i get a lot of artifacts. Then I tried AvsToDVD (read about it in other threads on this board) and it was quite good. I got some good looking files through it, but they are somewhat faulty when burned on dvd and played on my tv (but they play smoothly on my pc instead).

So, any advices? Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try other free mp4 to dvd converters like the old good dvd flick or freemake video converter(adware).

Or it could be the dvd media that causes faulty playback. So try another media brand.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, dvd media it's ok (Verbatim), and I got this playback problem only with dvds downgraded through avstodvd.
    I'm gonna try dvd flick and we'll see, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's times like this that I wish DVD Fab outputted to .mpg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by twinaleblood View Post
    No, dvd media it's ok (Verbatim), and I got this playback problem only with dvds downgraded through avstodvd.
    I'm gonna try dvd flick and we'll see, thanks!
    Technically its not really downgraded since you are keeping the same resolution. Generally speaking in tech speak for video downgraded is reserved for changing the resolution. If you were going from high def like 1280x720 to 720x576 (for pal in your case) than that would be downgraded or "downconverted" or "down ressed" however you like.

This is a codec change not a resolution change. Though there might be those who would say h264 is a superior codec to mpeg2 in all respects my feeling is that in standard def they would be essentially the same quality wise but of course its the compression factor that gives an edge to h264 - ie smaller file sizes at similar quality levels.

But anyhow back to your issue.

Assuming your dvds are in good shape have you checked your dvd output settings on avstodvd? You should have it set to pal naturally for the output. Could it be set to ntsc by mistake? Its my understanding pal dvd players can play ntsc dvds but do they exhibit any unusual symptoms when they do? Could they be similar to what you are experiencing?

Check your dvd you made with mpch and check the video properties to ensure you have pal output and not ntsc output. Or mediainfo or gspot should do it but I don't know if they can read off a regular dvd, hence my suggestion for using mpchc - or vlc for that matter.

And you might try a different batch of discs anyway. Even with a good quality dvd you could still potentially run into a bad batch. And always burn with imgburn of course
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for your detailed answer, Yoda.
    AvsToDVD settings are ok, the DVDs are pal. Maybe the issue is with the tv in my room, which is a tube TV from the early '00s. I'm gonna check the disc with the LCD tv I have in another room and we'll see how it works.

Btw, this tube tv I have play flawlessly all the dvds I author/burn except those I do with Avs, so maybe I still have to check all the options there. I thought it could have been a bitrate problem, so I tried to set for the new file the same bitrate as the original mp4 (it was automatically set higher, 8000), but still no results.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, just played the dvd with the LCD tv and it works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I burned a bunch of dvds with avstodvd and what I found was that with the bitrate of 5255 as given in the above screenshot it'll auto select one pass vbr mode using quenc instead of hcenc for encoding to mpeg2. But I didn't find that gave good results. I always forced 2 pass vbr mode and that was the only way I could get reasonably consistent results ... better than dvdflick or any other one I ever tried.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by twinaleblood View Post
    AvsToDVD settings are ok, the DVDs are pal. Maybe the issue is with the tv in my room, which is a tube TV from the early '00s. I'm gonna check the disc with the LCD tv I have in another room and we'll see how it works.

Btw, this tube tv I have play flawlessly all the dvds I author/burn except those I do with Avs, so maybe I still have to check all the options there. I thought it could have been a bitrate problem, so I tried to set for the new file the same bitrate as the original mp4 (it was automatically set higher, 8000), but still no results.
    Interlaced source? Do you still have the AVStoDVD project log file? Could you please post it here?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  10. Here it is!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Progressive, 720x576, 16:9 source. Vanilla source footage. No potential issues at all.

Just 2 more try, if you wish:

- switch from QuEnc to HCenc video encoding profile
    - switch from A2DSource to FFMpegSource

Ciao
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  12. I am upping this thread i started 2 years ago because i have a somehow related question.

So, i'm trying to make a dvd of a concert i shoot with my Samsung cam (see first post). I convert the MP4 to MPG2 via AVStoDVD and when i check the results on my PC with PowerDVD it looks good enough (just some small artifacts here and there, but no big deal), but if I try to upload part of the video on youtube (or i try to play the DVD on the tube TV in my room where the DVD player is connected) the picture is ruined and distorted by some "Waves". Can't explain this better, but look at the youtube samples i'm linking here and you'll see yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fex3GyA4ANU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dueZmfBAnWg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgifchX9o24

Any ideas what the problem might be?
    I tried several things to no avail: lowering the bitrate, A2DSource, FFMpegSource, Hcenc, 2 pass, 1 pass...

Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post the relevant AVStoDVD log .
    Quote Quote  
  14. Here you can see 2 logs i kept (i tried more than 2 times changing opotions etc, but I only have these logs now)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  15. Those kind of waves indicate improperly rescaled footage. Possibly in your 576>480? Possibly interlaced?
    Quote Quote  
  16. double-post
    Quote Quote  
  17. my original MP4 file is anamorphic, but AVStoDVD convert it to 4:3 instead of 16:9 for some reason, so i ran the resulting MPG through ReStream to have it 16:9
    Last edited by twinaleblood; 17th Jul 2014 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote  
  18. @twinaleblood

your source mp4 is not read as anamorphic by MediaInfo:
    Code:
    Video: T:\dvd to author\Golson\SDV_0065.MP4
    Info: AVC - 6634 kbps - 720x576 - DAR 1,25 - 25 fps (CFR) - Progressive - 38:12 minutes - 57317 frames
    that's why AVStoDVD is encoding it as 4:3 footage.

BTW you can tweak the source media DAR value by using the 'Title'/'Edit Source Title Info' option from the menu. Just enter 1.778 instead of 1.25. Your output will be anamorphic.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thank you! That should work, I'll post the results soon
    Quote Quote  
  20. This is crazy. I entered 1.778 instead of 1.25 in AVStoDVD, got a 16:9 demuxed file, didn't need to run it through ReStream.
    I authored it with DVD Lab Pro2 as usual and it plays perfectly on Power DVD, but still "wavy" on YouTube (and i guess on my old tube tv as well): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUSPCQlGhNU

I'm attaching the AVStoDVD log as well.

Any further help would be very appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That wavyness is something similar to what happens when interlaced material is resized incorrectly.
    Is your source interlaced?

Why are you feeding the source to A2D as an avisynth script?
    TITLE 1 SOURCE FILES
    Video: T:\dvd to author\Golson\SDV_0065.avs
    Info: AviSynth - 0 kbps - 720x576 - DAR 1,778 - 25 fps (CFR) - 1:17:46 hours - 116667 frames

Can you provide 10 seconds or so of the actual source, and post to the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  22. The original source it's very big Mp4 files, i don't know how can i take 10 seconds of it without reencoding i will post here.

I'm feeding them as an avisynth script because it's 3 files, the script joins them as one single bigger file. But I also tried to make the conversion without the script, just leaving the 3 single files, and the rsult was the same

I'm attaching the GSpot specifics of one of my source files.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gspot.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	26483  

Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by twinaleblood View Post
    The original source it's very big Mp4 files, i don't know how can i take 10 seconds of it without reencoding i will post here.
    You can use Avidemux to trim 10 seconds.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  24. Here it is!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Definitely interlaced PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  26. How could i solve this?
    Quote Quote  
  27. I took your sample, ran it with this ffmpeg command line (which changes only the aspect ratio)
    edit: appears to deinterlace as well -- re-checking

-i sample.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -aspect 16:9 sampleout.mp4

and got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx4X1-dMgOA&feature=youtu.be

The problem appears to be that your mp4 header incorrectly identifies the video as progressive and the aspect ratio as 5:4.
    Last edited by smrpix; 18th Jul 2014 at 10:28.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Yes, because when i ran it through ReStream, changing only the aspect ratio, the result was faulty. So it looks like i have to change aspect ratio AND deinterlace as well, right?

Is there an option in AVStoDVD to deinterlace the source file?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by twinaleblood View Post
    Is there an option in AVStoDVD to deinterlace the source file?
    Since AVStoDVD is specifically for making DVDs I would not deinterlace.

Do a PAL encode. Under the video tab, customize the aspect ratio to Widescreen 16:9. Under the Avisynth tab comment out or delete the resize command.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Thank you. I'll try this tonight and let you know if it works!
    Quote Quote