VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Alright, so I THINK I know the answer to this question, but I just want to make sure.

Basically, I have at least one mkv file that comes with a subtitle file (.srt). I'd like to play it on my PS3 rather than through my TV's USB input, because my TV has no headphone jack, whereas I have a way to use them with my PS3, and I'd prefer to.

I understand that you can't add subtitles into an MP4 or something without transcoding and losing quality, and like I said the subtitle file is separate. I tried this using mkv2vob and the loss was noticeable, even using what I think was the highest quality setting.

Is the only way to do this basically do change the container to AVI and then add subtitles as detailed here http://www.guidingtech.com/18623/add-subtitles-ps3-videos-read-srt-files/ (which I think involves making it into a DivX?).

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried mkv2mp4? It can add switchable subtitles. If they work on the ps3 I don't know though...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Have you tried mkv2mp4? It can add switchable subtitles. If they work on the ps3 I don't know though...
    Nah, according to the mkv2mp4 site, the PS3 can't read those subtitles. Thanks though.

Looks like I'll just have to plug into the TV, and eventually get an actual AV receiver so I can use headphones with anything. I WOULD just use the PS3 media server, which streams any video file from your PC to the PS3, but when trying it the other night, the video would freeze while the audio kept playing. Maybe my network isn't good enough... I'll have to look more into that as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have any experience with the PS3 so a suggestion only - if the PS3 can play vanilla mkv's could you have the subtitle track as a separate track (same name in folder). If the sub is within the MKV then extract it it with gMKVExtract and then remove it from the MKV with mkvmergegui. No re encoding involved.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!