VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 40 short films to play at a fest. It would be great if I could drag them all to a tool that will tell me the average/peak levels of the audio in each film so I can know which films need volume adjustment. Is there such a tool?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not sure. Here is a thread to normalise a batch of files. Maybe it could save you having to do it by hand.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/255147-Mini-Guide-Normalizing-Audio-for-Multiple-AVI-files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but that won't work for me. Most of the files are MP4 and I prefer not to re-encode unless I have to - only if a film is significantly lower or higher in volume than the rest. Usually it's only one or two films that need it and it would be nice to flag them using an automated process.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try using ReplayGain.
    Foobar2000 is an audio player but it'll open and play the audio in MKV and MP4 files directly. If they don't contain an audio type it natively supports (such as DTS or AC3) you can download a plugin from the foobar2000 website. You should also be able to find the directshow plugin via Google if all else fails.
    Once you've added all the MP4 files to a foobar2000 playlist, highlight them all and right click to run a replaygain scan (per file track gain). When it's done foobar2000 will report the replaygain required, along with the track peak for each file.

ReplayGain, if you're not familiar with it, isn't the same thing as reporting the average level, but it will report the peak levels and for your purpose ReplayGain may be a better way to do it (I use it for MP3s etc all the time but I've not tried it to see how well it works with soundtrack audio).
    Quote Quote