VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Panasonic DVD-RAM. When I press 'record', the unit will launch into an endless RECOVER/BYE mode. Any ideas what's up or possible solutions? I've certainly gotten some use out of this over the years.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Might have to try a factory reset. I think it's in the manual or online. It will probably reformat the drive though so you'll lose any programs on it. Yeah, mine is still going strong after all these years too. No recover problems at all other than one I had during a power failure some years ago. Also check avsforum for tips and clues to the trouble/fix.

Good luck...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS Is it happening only with RAM discs or is it doing this all the time with all recordings even from the DVD-R or HDD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it will ever stop this endless loop I could check on the DVD-R. I only had a couple things on the hard drive. This machine has seen hours of use on a daily basis for what, 3 or 4 years? I can't complain one bit. I'll check the AVS forum. Thanks for the reply!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Unplug it from wall for a few minutes. & restart it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I did that, it goes back into a RECOVER/BYE loop when I plug it back in.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I just had this happen with a disc last week where it would keep reading it but wouldn't play anything and I couldn't switch if off and none of the buttons on the remote or unit would do anything so I pulled the plug and restarted it that way several times but it kept doing the same thing so I did a google search and came up with a similar model that said to do a soft reset of the recorder by holding the power button for 10 seconds and that finally worked and I was able to eject the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well, she finally came in for a landing. I tried a DVD-R and no problems! I have to say, I have had nothing but problems with the Panasonic DVD-RAM discs that I bought. I used to use cheapo OPTODISCs and never had a problem. Dummy me bought 100 double sided of these because they were cheap, less than 6.00 a piece. If it ain't broke, you get what you pay for, etc., etc...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, I just tried to format two new discs in the recorder and it says, "Unable to format. This is (a) non-recordable disc". OK, how can I format the disc on my computer? I have a DVD-RAM drive. When I tried it, it says that it is write protected. HELP!
    Quote Quote  
  10. When my Panny wouldn't recognize Panasonic DVD-RAM & did that stuff you mentioned, but would read dvd-r, I cleaned it's laser & all was fine.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Bought a DVD lens cleaner and that did the trick. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. HELP what happens if you clean ur laser but it still registers dvd-rams as unable to format??? i've bought panasonic brand from two different places thinking it may just be a bad batch but no go.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried cleaning the spindle?
    A dirty spindle can cause read/write failures. If you hear a grinding type noise after inserting a DVD or when trying to edit a title, the spindle needs to be cleaned.
    A thread talking about spindle cleaning:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14479898#post14479898
    Quote Quote