VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2014/09/15/samsung-nx1-price-specs-release-date-confirmed/

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsung-nx1

40Mbps 4k 4:2:0 HEVC

UHD 3840×2160 (30fps Only), 4K 4096×2160 (24fps Only)

First wave of consumer accessible hardware recorders coming out

~ US$2110
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2014/09/15/samsung-nx1-price-specs-release-date-confirmed/

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/samsung-nx1

40Mbps 4k 4:2:0 HEVC

UHD 3840×2160 (30fps Only), 4K 4096×2160 (24fps Only)

First wave of consumer accessible hardware recorders coming out

~ US$2110
    Hello poisy!

4K camcorder with (around) 1100 *1000 pixel real visible resolution? That catastrophic real (visible) resolution wouldn't be a suprise, because it is only just a DSLR. The very high resolution sensor causes problems for sharp picture, because the device try to downsample downsize the high resolution image to 4K picture. Enormous quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    It is interesting to see the price tag / description of the chip It would be possible to download the result of a camera
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ideal situation: the sensor has the same resolution as the output video. In this case there is no need for quality destroyer resize algorithms. By this way, the size of individual pixels are the largest on the case of the same sized sensor, which can collect more light.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder how long it will be before early adopters come here crying "I can't edit my 4k hevc footage!".......

Curious to see how well the h.265 hardware encoder fares. Probably not good, just like the h.264 hardware encoder does. Samsung is not known for quality cameras anyway.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried out the the Samsung NX1 at B&H. They had one in stock and was outputting the 4K video to a 4K TV. Even though it was heavily compressed 4K video it looked super. Almost 3-D like compared to 1080p. I saw a good video of the Samsung NX1 Camera specs and release date here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So much for "catastrophic quality destroying"...

@Stears555, I guess you've never heard of the well-known technique of DOWNSAMPLING as a successful tool for perceptually increasing "quality" while adding anti-aliasing (assuming the downsampled version doesn't need to be resized up again).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone else have success editing these hevc 4k clips? I tried Vegas (version 10), but it doesn't support hevc. Maybe newer versions have updated input plugins?

Anyway I can edit them in Aviutl and Virtualdub under Windows. ShotCut can edit them under Linux. All use ffmpeg based input plugins. It may be OK with these small samples, but I don't know if large clips may cause crashing...

Certainly you can batch transcode these clips into avc, mpeg-2 or whatever using ffmpeg. You'll need to use the 64-bit version to avoid memory error.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had good results using Cyberlink PowerDirector 13 for work with H.265 4K video. My i7 laptop has no problems converting 4K to 1080p .mp4 . It also plays well with XAVC-S files from my RX100 M3. Takes a 1/4 of the time to convert versus Sony Vegas Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So are you editing the clips in native 4k resolution HEVC, then downsizing to 1080p on export? Or are you transcoding the source into 1080p AVC before editing?

It sounds to me like you are transcoding to intermediate, in that case ffmpeg is a much better choice......
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm editing the clips in native 4k resolution. Then compressing into lower grade 1080p .mp4 for sending files. PowerDirector 13 will edit the native file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I stay away from s/w that demands my name and email simply to try it out! By the looks of it, PowerDirector 13 seems like it is designed for dummies anyway. I'll pass thank you...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Maxwhite View Post
    Those H.265/HEVC is almost a new codec and it still has not wide spreaded yet. The Samsung NX1 may be a very frist camera to shoot videos under those mode. And I recently fond a third-party software, their latest version can deal with the H.265/HEVC codec and also H.264 high profile is added into those app. So I used it and convert some video clips , then load them into my Sony Vegas.
    If you want to edit 4k HEVC files from that camera, read this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/368684-Editing-4k-HEVC-footage-%28Samsung-NX1%29
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!