VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I tried to play a AVI video. I can see the video but no sound. I tried using WMP, QuickTime, VLC, MPC, GOM, BS, MPlayer, KMPlayer, etc etc. All can see the video but no sound. QuickTime even worse. Cannot recognize AVI. I downloaded several Codecs like K-lite, Windows7 codec, etc but still no sound. All other AVI files can be played on my computer with no problem. The sound Codec for this file is AAC (LC). Any advise?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might have screwed up your system by installing many codec-packs.

AVI is not a format. It is a container for video and audio. You should be able to download just the audio codec. Search for AAC or go here.

http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/bf/amm/produkte/audiocodec/audiocodecs/aaclc.html

Also try itunes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You might have screwed up your system by installing many codec-packs....
    I might have worded that a little more strongly. You should yank all that crap. You just don't need them in windows. There are some programs that need them but I yanked them too. There are programs that are just as good that don't need them. Like vlc, and smplayer (which is actually my favorite).

When I was more of a windows 7 user, I got sick and tired of half assed media software installing those stupid 3rd party codec packs (which, I repeat, aren't necessary) which take over your system registry. Since windows permission levels suck, it's actually easy for one of them to make everything in the system use their codecs. This is why after installing one of them you may find wmp can play flac's all of a sudden.

So when you install a bunch of them, all wanting to take over the whole OS, you're just asking for troubles.

My solution in windows was to yank all that crap, use codec tweak tool to repoint everything back to directshow etc, and use media programs that were linux ports and thus better behaved, with their own internal codec libraries. You can't take over the system like that in linux so easily.

The problem you had with the particular video is quite possibly caused IMO by whoever encoded it having their system buggered with stupid codecs, so it won't play properly on a correctly functioning system. In other words, the file is bad. If vlc can't play aac audio I'd usually blame the ignoramus who encoded it.

Noobs installing a whole whack of those stupid codec packs at the first whiff of trouble seems too common. Maybe it's because the developers spend more time on Google SEO than the actual software.

One possible solution I've used before is audacity. Yes, it's an audio processor, but if you open a video file with it it'll load just the audio stream. And it's taken formats everything else I use chokes on. Then just export to another format like mp3. And finally open the video ion avidemux, import the audacity created file as the audio track, then save.

That may not work for you but it's been a good last resort for me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There's always some possibility that the file is simply butchered with no playable audio on it, despite the seeming presence of AAC (LC) audio on it. Hollywood has been known to deliberately place defective files into torrent sites to frustrate the people who download them. Or it could be that the person who made it simply made a horrible mistake and never checked the file after creating it and made a defective file available. I suggest installing VLC on another PC that doesn't have a bunch of codec packs on it. If VLC can't play it there, then there probably is no audio in the file or the "audio" is nothing more than silence placed there deliberately or through incompetence.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, u guys are most probably right about this. I tried so many days but still no sound. No problem for my other AVI files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    The problem you had with the particular video is quite possibly caused IMO by whoever encoded it having their system buggered with stupid codecs, so it won't play properly on a correctly functioning system.
    Comedy gold!

Originally Posted by hwee71 View Post
    Yes, u guys are most probably right about this. I tried so many days but still no sound. No problem for my other AVI files.
    Try remuxing the AVI as an MKV (just open the AVI with MKVMergeGUI and use the "start muxing" button to resave it as an MKV). See if MKVMergeGUI shows the AAC audio when you open the AVI and if it offers any errors or warnings when muxing. If it doesn't, try playing the MKV file. If that doesn't work, maybe upload a small sample. You can use MKVMergeGUI to split off a small section, There's various splitting options under the Global tab.
    Quote Quote  
  7. using mkvmerge GUI v6.7.0('Back to the Ground') 32bit

When I add the Input files,

Output:

Error: The demultiplexer for the file ... failed to initialize:

The file could not be opened for reading, or there was not enough data to parse its headers.

Tried with other AVI files no problem. It seems the problem lies with the particular AVI file.

Thanks for helping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a bad file. Open the file using gSpot or MediaInfo. They will display the audio and video specs of the file and which codecs are needed.

Most likely, the file will not open, or the audio information will be missing...which means the file is faulty.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  9. hwee71

I hear lots of sound (here) but no avi file!!!
    How can I play?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try the audacity solution. It's usually worked for me.

Another solution which I used a couple of days ago is avidemux. Open the file, leave video to copy and convert the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there.
    I know I'm resurrecting a very old thread, but here I am
    I've just opened an AVI file which seems to have no sound. When opening it with avidemux, the "Audio Output" shows "(0 track(s))". Am I right now understanding, that this AVI file in fact does not have any audio at all?
    Thanks for a quick reply.
    F.
    Quote Quote  
  12. MediaInfo should tell you if the file has audio.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    MediaInfo should tell you if the file has audio.
    Many thanks - in fact, it does not have audio
    Quote Quote  
  14. There is one type of AVI file that can have audio that MediaInfo can't see: DV Type 1. The DV video stream includes audio within it, but since there is no separate stream labeled audio MediaInfo doesn't show it. If MediaInfo shows the video as type DVSD you may have that type of AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Hi again and thanks for the clarification.
    The video was taken with an HP Photosmart 612 camera like 20 years ago
    MediaInfo shows this:
    [Attachment 68957 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  16. You can quickly verify file with help of ffplay - it supports plenty various audio codecs so if there is audio then ffplay should be able to play such file in 99.9% of cases...
    Quote Quote