VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    If anyone has had this happen to them, I would appreciate knowing how they fixed it. I copied 4 BD titles. All withe same settings per the MilOtis guide. They were all burned onto Verbatim BD-25 discs. They were set properly as I double - checked each setting.

I happened to notice that the first one I did (Kingdom of Heaven) was burned all the way across using the whole disc. Two of the others (Fifth Element and I am Legend) only used about 1/2 the disk. The fourth is in progress now, so I'm not sure of the outcome.They will all play on the computer in WinDVD. Kingdom of Heaven plays in my Panny BD-35, but the other two will not.

I am sure the setting was set up in BD Rebuilder for a BD-25. Why only the first seems to work and the other two don't is a mystery. Kingdom is a little longer than the other two, but that should have nothing to do with using the whole disc - should it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What was your encoder setting? Did you use the default Higher Quality or some other encoder setting?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Which version of BDRB? Look at the changelog for the latest:

February 26th, 2010 - v0.32.05
    - Disabled NAL-HRD processing in X264.Recent patch releases have proven problematic on certain players (mainly Panasonic).TSMUXER performs insertion of necessary information, but the NAL-HRD patch was useddue to its greater degree of blu-ray compliancy. It appears that this is no longer the case, or at least that it isn't in current versions.
    - Updated the included version of X264.EXE to the latest release (r1462 without nal-hrd patch).
    - Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    "What was your encoder setting? Did you use the default Higher Quality or some other encoder setting?"

I used the default Higher Quality setting.

"Which version of BDRB?"

Was using 031.0.8. I have since D/L'ed the latest and am trying again. I am still curious as to why only half the disk was burned?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by saltyjd1 View Post
    I am still curious as to why only half the disk was burned?
    I suspect the streams were not muxed properly, but cannot say for certain. Did you check the file size of your re-encodes before burning? Maybe what was burned was the full output.

I became aware of the bug when I went to version 0.32.02 from v.0.31.06 IIRC. I did a backup that would load into Digital Theater in TME (I always test before burning), but info said no audio, no video. Wouldn't play.

Since the file size was as expected, I just remuxed it in tsMuxer, which fixed it. Yesterday I did a re-encode with v.0.32.03, which came out fine. [shrugs] However, I've since gone to v.0.32.05 and am testing it now.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I've been burning DVD's for ages, and should have known to check my file size. I thought about it after my first post here. DUH. Anyway, I am now checking them closely. The one I'm doing now has a ISO size of 25.4g. The target size in BD Rebuilder is 22.8g which is close, at least a good bit larger than 1/2 disk. I will have to learn a little more about the remuxing as I am somewhat new to this Blu Ray thing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Well, I tried to rip another title (V for Vendetta) last night. Re encoding time seemed a little short.The disk was only half burned, but played on my desktop with WinDVD. While encoding with RE Builder the progress window showed the size of the disk would be 22.66g. Once I put it into Imgburn and started it showed the total job to only be 14g. HUH? I tried again double checking my settings. Same result. Am I missing something here? I don't need another coaster collection....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Need some more information, please fill in your computer details to start.

Do you have any codec packs installed? What versions of ffdshow and Haali are you using? (On the BDRB bug report thread, jdobbs advises *not* using an x64 version of ffdshow.) Are you certain you do not have custom size set in BDRB?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Running Intel Quad core Q6600 2.4 ghz - 2g Corsair memory. Windows 7/ XP dual boot (2 separate drives)
    2 codec packs Cole2k and Windows 7 codec packs.
    ffdshow version is 3267
    Haali version 1.9.355.21
    Target size in BDRB is set to BD-25
    BD RD version 0.32.0.5

I am using Daemon tools and have been reading that it may cause problems. Think I should go to Virtual clone? I have used it VC before for other reasons and it seemed to work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I just downloaded the new ffdshow. Are there certain critical settings I should pay attention to?
    Quote Quote  
  11. As many here will tell you codec packs are a bad idea (even though folks sometimes get away with it). All you really need to start is ffdshow, haali, maybe vobsub. Then add specific codecs only when necessary.

Otherwise, I don't see anything in particular. The movies you mentioned are compressed in MPEG2, VC-1, and AVC. No pattern as to what caused the failure.

If you read the BDRB bug report thread, there seem to be a lot of problems for Win 7 users, particularly when using untested versions of ffdshow. jdobbs has tested v. 3133. First I'd uninstall ffdshow, haali, and avisynth, run a registry cleaner, reboot, and re-install from scratch. Re-install ffdshow rev.3133, haali v.1.9.42.1, also avisynth 2.57 or later. Try setting VC-1 to WMV9 and enabling MPEG2 in ffdshow.

Have a look at that thread, starting here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1353273#post1353273

The thread is 353 pages and counting.

Can you boot to XP and try a rebuild? I've had very little trouble, twice only, and the fault each time was a BDRB version with a bug, not a configuration problem.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I give up on the XP install. I can't get daemon or virtual drive to mount the image. It looks like there is nothing associated with the iso file even though I've gone through this many times. I'll just go back to win7 and burn the damn thing to a dvd instead of a bd-25. daemon says it's mounting, and anydvd reads it, but BD RE says its not a bd file..... XP see's the drive as cdrom.
    Last edited by saltyjd1; 27th Feb 2010 at 18:02. Reason: added
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Does anyone think this may have to do with the fact the two movies I am having problems with are both Warner Bros. releases? I know it sounds crazy, but out of five rips , the only two that didn't work are WB's. I even tried switching methods with one of the problem disks and did the BDInfo / tsMuxeR way to do this and still got a coaster. Copied one of the Planet Earth disks this morning with no problems. It's not a WB release. Thats the only common factor I can find so far.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are using ISO's? Why not just burn the BR directory BDRB is creating.
    Are you sure you set to BD25 and not Custom Size?
    XP is perfectly comparible with BDRB,all you get by going to W7 is slower encodes and possible incompatability.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by saltyjd1 View Post
    Does anyone think this may have to do with the fact the two movies I am having problems with are both Warner Bros. releases?
    Maybe; if you suspect that you should update AnyDVDHD. And they may have something about those two movies in the SlySoft forum. If I get a chance, I'll take a peek today.

Like Wulf says, you could skip the ISO creation step, just to rule it out. And IIRC, a few people have reported problems using DaemonTools, there was one thread on this forum a couple months back. Re-encoding from files instead of mounted image solved it. A few others I recall have switched to VirtualCloneDrive. Don't remember if I saw those reports on this forum or somewhere else. You understand, it's hard to gauge whether sometimes you have user error involved, but there it is.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Couldn't find anything in particular about "I am Legend" and "V for Vendetta". Not new releases, nothing interesting about the protection.

"I am Legend" supposedly has alternate endings. "V for Vendetta" exhibits PowerDVD issues when playing from hard drive. Other than that...

Here's a couple methods to try:

1) Leave AnyDVDHD running in the background and simply copy/paste the files to a folder on your hard drive.
    2) Use BDinfo to identify the *.mpls for either the theatrical or alternate version of "I am Legend". AnyDVDHD running. Extract the title (movie only) directly from disc with tsMuxer.

Try enabling all options in AnyDVDHD, i.e. region removal, disabling BD-Live, remove PUOs and adverts.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I may be looking at an incompatibility issue with my BD35 player and BR's that have these specific "jar" files. See here:

http://forum.slysoft.com/archive/index.php/t-24805.html

(Plus there are threads about this in Doom9's forum.)

Both of these movies have them. I am in the process of a re-encode now without anydvd's region protection. I will let you know what I find.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Looks like the software, and the way I was using it is NOT the problem. It is my player after all. The Panny BD35 just won't play those particular BR's. I went to the store and tried both of them in different players with no problems. This experience was really time consuming and frustrating, not to mention the waste of BR's. I have got to get a BD-RW! Looks like I will be in the market for something new. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  19. First I've heard of a player that won't play *burned* BD25 discs, but of course it's possible.

Just one final thing to try: Disable 24p in the player's menu. Easy enough to try it. The suggestion comes from 2 Doom9 threads, and while referring specifically to AVCHD on Panasonic players, it can't hurt to try:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144674

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146339&highlight=standalone+results

Are you asking for suggestions for a new player? Sure, Sony BDP-S360. I have two. You can get one for ~$150 bucks at Wal-Mart. Got my first one for $250 a year ago, the second on Black Friday 2009 for $118.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My suggestion to you is to update the firmware on your Panasonic BD35. It's not difficult to do just use a cat5 cable that runs from your cable router to the ethernet port in the back of the BD35. Use your remote to do the update. It just sounds like your BD35 needs the firmware updated to playback those specifc blu-ray movies. IMHO I wouldn't be buying a new blu-ray standalone player unless the firmware upgrade doesn't solve your problem. BTW I do own the BD35 as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would second fritzi.get a Sony S360. I have a Sony S350 and BX2(Sam's) and they both play anything on BD25,BD9,or BD5.
    I had a Panasonic and I returned it because it would not play anything that i had burned including BD25's. It may seem impossible but that Panasonic would not play BD25's that I had burned that would play perfectly in my Sony's.
    Panasonic is the most over-rated brand out there.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Unit has already been upgraded to 2.1 (most recent level). I did try fritzi's suggestions with no success. The last thing I expected was to be in the market for a new player, as this one has been good up to this point. That was until I started with ripping BR's. Although I was always disappointed it wouldn't play AVI's. (will the Sony's do that?) I'll look closely at the Sony's and I also have been seeing good reviews on a couple LG's. I can stick this Panny on one of the other TV's.

Thanks for all your help...
    Last edited by saltyjd1; 28th Feb 2010 at 17:25. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would be interesting to find out if others at the AVS Forums had the same problem like you. There is a dedicated thread for Panasonic BD35 owners. Try posting there and see if you get any results.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1075161
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever brand you buy be sure you test the model you want to buy in store with disks you burned. You should pickup a Philips 5990 to play avi(DIVX) files. If it plays everything it probably does nothing very well.
    Quote Quote