VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Magnavox (Philips) HDTV (without an S-video interface), model #: 19MF338B/27
    and a Panasonic DMR-EA18 DVD recorder. I wanted to record the race today, but was unable to. Upon doing test runs, all I would get would be a black image, nothing else. In the manual, for the panasonic, it constantly mentions a Set Top Box (Cable box, I assume). I am recording directly from one unit to the other, using the cables (red, white & yellow), following the directions indicated in the owners manual.. I tried different settings IN1, IN2, DV (didn't work, didn't record whatsoever, so hard to try that one). Not sure there's anyway to set a channel based on the tv... HDTV's are different? Still, all I got was the black screen. Do I need a cable box in order to record anything, or can someone enlighten me onto what this n00be is doing wrong.? thanks for your enlightenment.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what are you hooked up to?? tv cable, satellite?? sounds like you run into some sort of copy protection. you
    may need to get your local cable or satellite providers recording box so you can record your tv shows.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Since the Panasonic DMR-EA18 Tuner-less DVD Recorder cannot process a video signal unless the TV has a video out, then seems to be the problem. The Magnavox does not appear to have an output for the video to the recorder. Some TV's do have tuner video and audio outputs, so use a different source to record the programming.
    The Panasonic DMR-EA18 Tuner-less DVD Recorder was intended for use with a cable box or satellite receiver.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steinbok View Post
    I have a Magnavox (Philips) HDTV (without an S-video interface), model #: 19MF338B/27
    and a Panasonic DMR-EA18 DVD recorder. I wanted to record the race today, but was unable to. Upon doing test runs, all I would get would be a black image, nothing else. In the manual, for the panasonic, it constantly mentions a Set Top Box (Cable box, I assume). I am recording directly from one unit to the other, using the cables (red, white & yellow), following the directions indicated in the owners manual.. I tried different settings IN1, IN2, DV (didn't work, didn't record whatsoever, so hard to try that one). Not sure there's anyway to set a channel based on the tv... HDTV's are different? Still, all I got was the black screen. Do I need a cable box in order to record anything, or can someone enlighten me onto what this n00be is doing wrong.? thanks for your enlightenment.
    As stated previously, if you are watching over-the-air TV via an antenna, the Panasonic DMR-EA18 has no tuner for recording over-the-air TV from an antenna, and your TV does not have any outgoing analog video connections to record from. You either need a different DVD recorder (with a digital tuner) or you need a DTV to analog converter box to use as an external tuner for the Panasonic DMR-EA18.

This DVD recorder has an ATSC digital tuner and can record US over-the-air broadcasts independent of a TV: Magnavox MDR533H/F7HDD/ DVD Recorder.

There are also these non-DVD DVRs with one ATSC digital tuner which can record US over-the-air broadcasts if connected to a USB stick (not included) or USB hard drive (not included). You could also use them as external tuners and hook them up to your DVD recorder using their composite out and stereo audio out:

Mediasonic HW-150PVR
    Viewtv At-163
    iView 3500STBII

There is also a non-DVD DVR with 2 tuners (for recording 2 channels at once), the Channel Master DVR+, which can record US over-the-air broadcasts if connected to a USB hard drive (not included). It needs a wired Internet connection for some features to work, and you cannot connect this DVR to your DVD recorder to record anything to DVD.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th May 2014 at 11:40. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cable box--->video recorder--->TV set

TC
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your very useful information. I will ingest it all. What I'd like to do is keep the same setup, and probably get a DTV converter, as we do not have any cable/satellite provider. So, no "cable box" Looks like I have something that isn't very useful at the present time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I notice in your title you say you're trying to record "Panasonic from Philips", and that the Philips is your TV.

No.

You don't record FROM the TV.

Even old VCRs didn't record from the television. They recorded from their own built-in TV tuners.

The TV fed NOTHING into the recorder. The TV got an audio/video feed FROM the recorder.

Modern recorders (including DVD recorders) are the same. They don't record FROM the television set.

You've said your recorder's instructions mention use of a set top box, and someone's already said your recorder has no onboard tuner of its own.

This means your recorder does need either a cable box or some type of television tuner box to send it video and audio.

Yes, your plan to get a DTV converter box is exactly what you need to do for your recorder to actually record.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!