VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

I am kind of a beginner at encoding but am not tech ignorant. I just built the ultimate gaming pc known to man (details below) and I have a few terabyte drives as well. Therefore, I have a few simple questions. Keep in mind, SIZE IS NOT AN ISSUE

I just recently got a 70" 240Z TV, so....

1. What is the best method to capture the highest quality rip of the BR disc as possible. To have the exact quality (or better?) than the originally intended disc performance. (highest bitrate, resolution, etc.)

2. I have an $800 GPU (video card) that could power the space station. I want to take advantage of this. My TV is hooked up to my desktop, so will VLC suffice for playback of an extremely large, extremely demanding bit rate/resolution? Are there other playback options?

I apologize if I am rambling on. In summation of my originally intended acquisition, or to put it in "lamens terms...."

I want the best quality possible and I want the videos to be stunning. I have all the gear, now i need direction...

PC SPECS

Gigabyte ud4 mobo with
    cpu socket Lga 2011
    Supports up to 64 gb ram

Intel i7 4820
    overclocked to 4.1 STABLE

16 gb dual channel
    DDR 3 2100 MHz ram

GeForce 780 ti gddr 5 ram overclocked

Kingston Solid state drive

Corsair water cooling keeps my cpu at 17 c under stress

Crysis 3 75 fps
    BF 4 124 fps
    Cod ghosts 100+ fps
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Since a "rip" is nothing but an exact copy of a DVD or Blu Ray disc's contents(minus copy protections) with no conversion or re-compression.....AnyDVDHD would be your best bet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Welcome!
    I want the best quality possible and I want the videos to be stunning. I have all the gear, now i need direction...
    hech54 already gave you the best possible answer.

I am little bit funny....going further to split into four...

1) I want the best quality possible ---> Just RiP, Do Not Convert or Re-Encode.
    2) I want the videos to be stunning. ---> Your original source video needs to be stunning.
    3) I have all the gear. ---> You need steering wheel and tires too, otherwise you will simply get tired of holding a gear! You may need old-days blow type horn too, sometimes you wanna press something when get tired of holding.
    4) now i need direction... --->hech54 already lead you into right direction. Do Not get surprised here even if someone here points upward.

And FuNNy Climax is coming now....
    For all these, you really do not need a Super Powerful PC, DualCore may be sufficient.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by THOMAS TALLIS View Post
    I just built the ultimate gaming pc known to man...
    Hardly, and who cares anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  5. manono,

In gaming world ultimate pc means a lot more power... more fast.
    In video world as you said hardly anyone cares.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    manono means that setting up a PC for gaming doesn't mean it's set up to handle the kind of BD editing you propose. What's wrong with the BD's? If they are of low quality, you need software and skills to decode, improve, re-encode, re-author, and burn. None of your gaming software can do that.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:23.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    No one has addressed the software playback. I find VLC inadequate for Blu-ray playback most of the time, and if you want access to menus and extras, you'll need a different player.

Get the free trial of Arcsoft Total Media Theater 6 and see if it meets your needs. Be aware that TMT6 will honor Cinavia on rips. The other commercial players you might want to look at are PowerDVD, WinDVD and the Nero media player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by THOMAS TALLIS View Post
    LMAO!!!

And I can go to EVGA and find home built gaming PC's that make your specs look like a cell phone
    Quote Quote  
  9. Welcome to the forum.

As you can tell, we're sticklers here about correct terminology.
    A "rip" is just a copy, and in the case of Blu-Ray, there's decryption and region-coding removal as well. Yes, the term is mercilessly misused by many.

Since you mentioned VLC, I presume you don't intend to keep menus. You can "drill down" into the Blu-Ray structure to play the movie, but there's a better way. If you just want movie-only, you could decrypt and copy with MakeMKV (free while it's still beta) and output to MKV container. The contents of the MKV will be the same as the original Blu-Ray. I think you have to go to the website to get a key after the trial period, but technically it's still free.

Some advantages to MKV container:

1) You don't need a payware Blu-Ray software player. There are many free players that will be perfectly satisfactory. Just as an example, I use MPC-BE for playback from my HTPC to 70" TV.

2) MKV is widely supported open-source. You can play direct from external hard drive on most recent TVs with onboard media player and Blu-Ray standalone players.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    allow me to offer you this bit of wisdom; your "ultimate" gaming pc is wasted if all you want to do is play BD at the highest quality possible on your new tv. this past christmas i decided that i had been a good boy all year and bought myself a brand new 40" 1080p tv for $300 and then bought a BD player for $60 to play all my blu-rays with.

want to know something? the playback quality i get from that $60 player is not going to get beaten by any pc, no matter what cpu or video card i buy, especially with a software player like vlc.

i see no point in ripping your blu-rays to your hard drive and then playing them from there via vlc, it's a waste of time, space and won't result in any superior quality, if anything the freeware software players will look worse than the dedicated stand alone blu-ray player you attach to a tv.

absolutely ridiculous plan on your part, poorly thought out.

and for the record, that hardware combo is crazy, a 4820k is based on ivy bridge and is a 130w part, you could have bought a 4770k which is based on haswell and is a 84w part, overclocks better and is cheaper as well. the only advantage the 4820k has is that it supports 4 memory channels versus 2 for the 4770k but you need 4 dimms to makes use of all that memory bandwidth and few apps on the desktop are bound by ram bandwidth anyway.

the $800 you paid for the GeForce 780 ti was a complete waste of money, this card can be found for under $700 if you shop around, it sucks down loads of juice and more importantly nvidia is getting ready to launch cards based on Maxwell, the first gpu to feature an integrated ARM general purpose cpu based on the Denver architecture.

i don't know how much you spent on that system but i wouldn't be too proud of what you put together for the money you spent.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    LMAO!!!

And I can go to EVGA and find home built gaming PC's that make your specs look like a cell phone
    Hey, I've seen worse. Some noob on a linux forum the other day said his netbook with an Atom 2700 was the best video setup you can get. That's the one with the GPU outsourced. It's the worst Intel integrated graphics there is.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    allow me to offer you this bit of wisdom; your "ultimate" gaming pc is wasted if all you want to do is play BD at the highest quality possible on your new tv.
    Since he also wasted space by sharing with us some game framerates, I think he probably put it together as a gaming PC first, and in his spare time now wants to put it to use ... by doing what? Can't tell exactly but he seems to want to make Blu-Rays better by reencoding them. Or something. My guess is he won't be back.

Yes, if he really just built his PC, I also find it odd that he chose a 4820k.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well let me end this thread by saying this.

to Deadrats...I didn't post my specs to have a dick measuring contest with you. You rattled on about my gaming PC but really you made yourself look like an ass hole because that's not even what the topic was about. Those are your opinions yes but the goal of the post and me coming to this site was to get insight on ripping blu ray discs. The statements about my PC were irrelevant. So what if you think I made a bad buy? keep your comments to yourself and try to help me out. You gave your opinion yes but just because you might THINK you know more that someone doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.

The people of this forum have been rude, pompous and arrogant. I thought the site was called "video help" not "demean others because we know more"

For those who did try to help thank you, your advice has proved beneficial to me.

AND FOR THE RECORD, I DIDNT BUILD A GAMING PC TO RIP BLURAYS I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD MENTION IT AND SEE IF THERE WERE ANY ADVANTAGES.

as for this forum and this site, i will surely not be back and i will let other know exactly how I was treated. I am sure this post will probably be deleted or whatever, but for those of you who are invested into this site, you might want to look at how you talk to people
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The smarmy comments about the O.P.'s PC are unwarranted. Point is, the PC is good enough but the owner needs some software for the task.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:23.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hey, they all envy you for all that gear you have

Not sure how doing something with your PC would improve your TV time. It was mentioned that BD player or maybe media player (that grants 23.94fps or 24 fps playback) would do it, for much cheaper expense. All you need is those players, plus very good TV , perhaps very good plasma and some dark room.

To have your TV hooked up to PC you need to have right software player, right filters, have things really work to have exact frequency out on TV screen. It is a subject on its own. You can use MPC-HC + filters, some might use XBMC etc. I never had to go through that so no help here.

Otherwise I am not sure how to "improve" original BD footage. Some use double frame rate filters that double frame frequency so movies are more "fluent", they use scripts that do this "live" while playing, but others (I guess most of viewers) would considered it as a barbaric way of changing movie experience. Videos look like home movies then.
    Last edited by _Al_; 12th Feb 2014 at 19:49.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    as for this forum and this site, i will surely not be back and i will let other know exactly how I was treated. I am sure this post will probably be deleted or whatever, but for those of you who are invested into this site, you might want to look at how you talk to people
    OMG!!! NO!!! he won't be coming back!!! i'll go call the suicide hotline.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    The smarmy comments about the O.P.'s PC are unwarranted. Point is, the PC is good enough but the owner needs some software for the task.
    he needs a lot more than that.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Him mentioning all that crap in the first place was unwarranted. This isn't a computer site. And all he needs is a decrypter and MakeMKV. Dollars to donuts all he's interested in is Hollywood's latest and greatest. For the most part the Blu-Rays are already very good. He didn't want to learn anything about 'restoration'.
    Quote Quote  
  19. THOMAS TALLIS,

I already Welcomed you as new member, and told you not to get surprised even if someone directs you upward. As like others this forum is a mixture of variety of people. The plus point about this forum is "Everyone are FREE to express themselves."

I hope you must be enjoying The Ultimate Power in Gaming World. As you said "I DIDNT BUILD A GAMING PC TO RIP BLURAYS I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD MENTION IT AND SEE IF THERE WERE ANY ADVANTAGES." There are definitely certain advantages of power PC when it comes to encoding. When I replied "You need steering wheel and tires too, otherwise you will simply get tired of holding a gear! You may need old-days blow type horn too, sometimes you wanna press something when get tired of holding." This meant you also need accessories / tools which can serve your purpose in addition to your powerful PC.

Still there are certain, definitely bunch of people who will definitely lead you into right direction, who will also provide excellent support.

So, just take it easy and join me for beers and cheers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    They referred themselves as GuRus or Industry Pros, with a polite request to have a l@@k at my source,
    Last edited by enim; 12th Feb 2014 at 20:22.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with all that, but what's all the hitting on his PC? Have it as you like. It's a waste of time as someone said earlier, and the O.P. has some learning to do. Anyone who cares about image quality on TV would turn off 240Hz to begin with, and I'll wager he's using a cheap Walmart monitor (or maybe went ape and got a cheap Samsung so he could see reds sadistically pumped up) -- bought strictly for speed and actually believes the wild contrast ratio he saw printed on the box. By super-duper quality I imagine he means oversharpening and oversaturating, so that all his BD's look like games. But it seems his PC ought to be up to the task of "copying" BD disk and manipulating the results -- as long as there's plenty of coffee around. And a couple more hard drives.

Whatever.....
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:24.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sanlys- i find it sad that you have no other life than to make yourself feel better by talking about someone that originally asked for your help.

deadrats- go **** youself..your probably alone and miserable and bitter because youve got nothing but ego and video knowledge

to those of you who tried to help, thanks, good luck putting up with these ass holes
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just a question again, which you never answered yourself: what's wrong with the BD's that they require all this extra work? In other words, what was the purpose of "capturing" them in the first place? Reason we're giving you a hard time is because (a) you don't answer our questions for more info needed to help you, and (b) you said nothing about any of the video software you own or propose to use. Anyone who would propose to "capture" BluRay at "same quality" or "better" and to "improve" it is obviously in need of a quick briefing on video basics. Congratulations on your great machine, and I still think some replies should have been questions rather than scoffing. But just what is it that you came here to get "help" about, other than VLC Player, and what would you consider "stunning" over what commercial BluRay already has?

BTW, the VLC player is one of the worst for almost every HD format. Try MPC-BE.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 06:24.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    to Deadrats...I didn't post my specs to have a dick measuring contest with you. You rattled on about my gaming PC but really you made yourself look like an ass hole because that's not even what the topic was about. Those are your opinions yes but the goal of the post and me coming to this site was to get insight on ripping blu ray discs. The statements about my PC were irrelevant. So what if you think I made a bad buy? keep your comments to yourself and try to help me out. You gave your opinion yes but just because you might THINK you know more that someone doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.
    A dick measuring contest ?
    Yet you were the one posting
    The people of this forum have been rude, pompous and arrogant. I thought the site was called "video help" not "demean others because we know more"
    pompous and arrogant ?!?!
    Seems you were the one being those things.....
    Need I repeat what you posted earlier ?
    AGAIN!!!

If you want,
    I want the highest quality BR rip and playback possible, size not an issue
    Then hech's answer, and the first reply, is dead on!!!!!!!

Ripping is an exact copy of the original and is the exact same quality as the original Bluray.
    If you do not understand, then that is your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by THOMAS TALLIS View Post
    Hello all,

I am kind of a beginner at encoding but am not tech ignorant. I just built the ultimate gaming pc known to man (details below) and I have a few terabyte drives as well. Therefore, I have a few simple questions. Keep in mind, SIZE IS NOT AN ISSUE

I just recently got a 70" 240Z TV, so....

1. What is the best method to capture the highest quality rip of the BR disc as possible. To have the exact quality (or better?) than the originally intended disc performance. (highest bitrate, resolution, etc.)

2. I have an $800 GPU (video card) that could power the space station. I want to take advantage of this. My TV is hooked up to my desktop, so will VLC suffice for playback of an extremely large, extremely demanding bit rate/resolution? Are there other playback options?

I apologize if I am rambling on. In summation of my originally intended acquisition, or to put it in "lamens terms...."

PC SPECS

Gigabyte ud4 mobo with
    cpu socket Lga 2011
    Supports up to 64 gb ram

Intel i7 4820
    overclocked to 4.1 STABLE

16 gb dual channel
    DDR 3 2100 MHz ram

GeForce 780 ti gddr 5 ram overclocked

Kingston Solid state drive

Corsair water cooling keeps my cpu at 17 c under stress

Crysis 3 75 fps
    BF 4 124 fps
    Cod ghosts 100+ fps

Get MakeMKV which is free while in beta (you just need the code that they post on their forums), and just select your main movie title that you want, the main audio title, and any subtitles.

It will make a 1:1 copy.
    Quote Quote