VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I burned about 50 DVDs of a church service and they all play fine in my computer (mac) and I am starting to now get emails from people saying that the DVDs will not play in the DVD player. Does anyone know what the issue is?

They are DVD+R and they do play completely fine in a Blu-Ray player.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Old farts with old players....probably many of them old Sony players that refuse to even play home-made music CDs. There is nothing you can do about it after the fact. Ask them to try the DVD in their computer.....if it plays.....blame their player.
    DVD-R and DVD+R have co-existed side by side since the invention of recordable DVDs. One is not better than the other.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vwain419 View Post
    I burned about 50 DVDs of a church service and they all play fine in my computer (mac) and I am starting to now get emails from people saying that the DVDs will not play in the DVD player. Does anyone know what the issue is?

They are DVD+R and they do play completely fine in a Blu-Ray player.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Some DVD burners (not all) and DVD burning software support changing the DVD booktype from DVD+R to DVD-ROM to improve compatibility with picky old players that can't play DVD+R media, but both the burner and the software must support the feature. You'll need to check to see if your software and DVD burning drive supports changing the booktype. Even so, it may not fix the problem for everyone. As stated previously in this thread, some DVD players refuse to play burned media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But would ALL these people have the same player ?

Yes, there are players that refuse to play one type or the other. DVD-R tends to be more compatable.

Just one question tho. Did you create dvd-video disks or simply burn a video file to the media ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just one question tho. Did you create dvd-video disks or simply burn a video file to the media ?
    Right, and what burning program was used? Although others can do it properly if you know what you're doing, it's pretty much impossible to make a mistake when using ImgBurn. Put the DVD files (IFOs, BUPs, VOBs) inside of a VIDEO_TS folder, point it to the folder (not the files), and it'll do the rest. And make sure to change the booktype, as suggested, something ImgBurn can also do.

Edit: Oops, it's a Mac. Then forget ImgBurn unless you have access to a Windows computer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not every person who received the DVDs responded saying they did not work. It was only a few and this is now 3 months after the event and distribution of the DVDs. I was just saying that I made a total of about 50 and that some people were complaining. Since the DVDs are playing on a Blu-Ray player, the xbox and multiple computers I do think that it might be a player issue. I am going to go buy other types of DVDs (DVD-R, DVD+/-RW) to see if those are more compatible.

Also, I burned these right from FCPx to the DVD. Which I have done in the past and have never had an issue with someone playing them on a DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since the majority of those that reply here are not familiar with mac software, pls confirm that the disk you have tested is a dvd-video disk ie it has a video_ts folder and all files inside it.

I was not suggesting that ALL your friends have the issues but it would un-likely that all those that are having problems have the same player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vwain419 View Post
    Not every person who received the DVDs responded saying they did not work. It was only a few and this is now 3 months after the event and distribution of the DVDs. I was just saying that I made a total of about 50 and that some people were complaining. Since the DVDs are playing on a Blu-Ray player, the xbox and multiple computers I do think that it might be a player issue. I am going to go buy other types of DVDs (DVD-R, DVD+/-RW) to see if those are more compatible.

Also, I burned these right from FCPx to the DVD. Which I have done in the past and have never had an issue with someone playing them on a DVD player.
    Re-writable DVD media is both more expensive and less stable than write-once media. It will become unreadable over time, even if carefully handled. I suggest that you do not use it for distribution.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There's a decent chance that the people with problems have older players. Heck, we get posts here from people who still have working DVD players they bought 10+ years ago. The problem with that is that those old players are incredibly fussy.

There actually is a difference in quality in DVD media. Most of what you can find in the stores is crap. The only consistently good manufacturers any more are Taiyo Yuden (you'll have to buy them online) and Verbatim (everything EXCEPT their "Life" series is excellent - the "Life" series is their budget line crap to compete with everybody else on price and it is what physical stores usually have if they have Verbatim). Using better quality media can SOMETIMES enable those ancient players to play the DVD, but not always. Also, using DVD-R is better for a large group because there are slightly fewer compatibility issues with it vs. DVD+R, although any modern player will not care one bit between the two formats. But crap media is always risky, even with new players, and I'm sure you used crap media. TDK, Maxell, etc. is all crap. Sony can be very good or very bad but it's almost impossible to tell whether you have to good or bad Sony manufactured discs until you buy, so it's just safer to avoid them. Note that even if you use high quality DVD-R and do everything right, some loser somewhere will have some ancient crap player he still uses that will just refuse to play burned discs. There's really nothing you can do in such cases.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've probably supplied well over 2,000 burnt DVD discs and have only ever had 3 returned that wouldn't ply. I only ever use Taiyo Yuden DVD-R. The 3 that were returned wouldn't play on Philips DVD players but a replacement on DVD+R would play fine. A few years ago, around 95% of players would play DVD-R compared with less that would play DVD+R but these days far more will play both. +R is probably the wrong choice for you if some of your customers have older players.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my question is
    did you actully use an Authoring program, and author the DVD's

or did you just do a data copy of files to the DVD

burning is a very Generic term and does Not describe how you created the DVD

if you made DATA dvd's, no they will not play in DVD players
    Quote Quote  
  12. I did not use an authoring program. I was told by Apple that FCPx would author the DVDs for me when I shared the project from the software directly to the DVD.

So basically it sounds like I now need to export the file from FCPx and then download some sort of authoring program that will work on a mac and then author the DVDs with that program because FCPx did not do that like apple said and then when the video is burned to the DVD it should now work? but I should also get DVD-R discs?

Do you not need to author DVDs for them to work in a Blu-Ray player, xbox etc? because as i mentioned earlier those devices will play the discs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You need Mac specific help with questions about FCPx. I tell newbies here all the time that what they (you) fail to realize is that if you are doing anything on a Mac, the odds are about 95% that you need to post in our Mac forum and get Mac specific help. Yes, I get why this seems like a DVD problem that has nothing to do with Macs, but now we find out that you used FCPx, which is a Mac program. That makes this a Mac issue.

I have no idea what FCPx does so I can't comment on whether or not it authors correctly. BluRay players are much less fussy than DVD players and it's possible that you could burn a non-standard disc that a DVD player will choke on but a BluRay player will happily play, but being on a Mac and using FCPx changes everything and limits our ability to help you as most of us here use Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  14. FCPX authors the DVD in a very basic (but arguably stylish) way.

Since many people did NOT complain you can be assured that the disks were authored correctly. The issue is the media and/or players.
    Quote Quote  
  15. thank you for all the help and suggestions.
    Quote Quote