VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recently I did some experimenting with an older TV tuner card (ATI) in which I first used ATI Catalyst Media Center to see how the card would work.
    Afterward, I used Windows Media Center for the same experiment. But, with the two programs residing together, things went awry. So I got rid of the ATI software (using Add/Remove Programs) and things were OK. Next day, I got an error message "Windows Media Center cannot open". A dialog box opens asking to search on line for a solution, but it just disappears and nothing happens.
    I researched Google for solutions, also looked at Microsoft Answers on the subject, tried all of the suggested changes, it didn't help.
    Lastly I tried copying all the "ehome" files from another Win 7 computer, THAT didn't work either. I've since removed the tv tuner card, but still cannot get WMC to open properly. Anyone have any suggestions ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I do have suggestions, but depending on your circumstances they may or may not be of much value to you. But nobody else has responded yet so hopefully some ideas are better than nothing.

1) Reboot if you haven't done that already. I realize you probably have though.
    2) Pull the card out and re-seat it in the PC. I've seen a capture program for Hauppauge act weird if my card gets loose and unfortunately in my PC, it's difficult to get the card in securely and keep it from ever moving.
    3) If you have Windows setup to do regular backups, do a restore from a time before you started messing with stuff.
    4) Reinstall WMC if you can.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the suggestions. First I used a Restore Point I set before messing with this stuff. Didn't work. I removed the card and don't want to re-install it because I'm not going to use it. I scoured the Internet for a download of Windows 7 WMC, can't find anything. Not sure if Win XP Media Center would be compatible with Win 7 Ultimate. Any other ideas ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The instructions shown in this link is something I've already tried.... twice. Apparently uninstalling WMC was the cause of my problem to begin with. Even though I don't plan on using WMC again, I do not want to reinstall the O.S. just to get it back, too much work. Thank you anyway
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!