VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys, i am new here!
    I have installed ffmpeg on my win r2 server and it gives me headache with rendering videos!
    When i have installed ffmpeg and have started to render videos (700MB mp4 video into 3 clips of 7:00 minutes mp4 videos) it worked pretty good, an 700MB video was rendered in 3 clips in 10 minutes!
    After rendering 30-40 videos in clips it started to slow down, now 1 clip takes 10-20 minutes!
    I have rebooted my machine but it does not change anything, it renders a clip in 10-20 minutes instead of 3-4 minutes!
    I have reinstalled OS and installed ffmpeg again and it works great, it does the rendering in 3-4 minutes but after a couple of videos it slows down again to 10-20 minutes per clip!
    Do you have simillar experience or any suggestions how to avoid the slowdown??

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure this isn't a hardware problem? Overheating or something?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ozok View Post
    Are you sure this isn't a hardware problem? Overheating or something?
    To be honest, i have no idea!
    I am not that tech savy to answer detailed questions!
    But what i can say is that even if i reboot and start rendering after a couple hours it does not speed up again!
    It should have cooled down if i reboot and do not render for a couple of hours or even days,right?
    I have done both!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi newnoob,
    Give details about the entire system? (OS, HDD - old?) dust clean
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
    Hi newnoob,
    Give details about the entire system? (OS, HDD - old?) dust clean
    Hi,thanks for your reply!
    Here are the server details :

6GB RAM,
    4 Cores
    500GB HDD
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard OS

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try changing SATA conneсtor?
    WinXP crud - tormented me similar symptoms as you name curses DMA mode.
    After reinstalling your windows system has received updates from Microsoft? You need to trace the chain and the possible impact of the installed drivers / packages...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried making sure the same video that took 3-4 minutes is the one that takes 30-40 minutes since various codecs and containers, from and to, can cause long conversions as well as versions of ffmpeg. If the same one takes longer then you might try opening the task manager and click cpu usage so the busiest processes are at the top and then run ffmpeg. If it show FFMpeg is using high percentages of CPU usage then it should be fast unless, as Gravitator mentioned, your computer is experiencing huge amounts of retries due to disk or cable problems.

Looking below you can see 89% usage, @290-300 FPS processing, q=27 so shouldn't slow it down, etc.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_28 Feb. 19 11.39.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	23680
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you Gravitator and thank you Budman1 !
    I've tested it with the same files that was rendered before in 3 minutes and the problem is the same!
    Can you provide me with a link to how fix the DMA mode problem or how to trace down the problems with drivers?
    I don't believe my host will change the SATA connector ;/ !

Thank you sooo much!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just a thought:
    If we are talking about a virtual Server (not a root server where you are the only one on the machine) couldn't it simply be that you don't always have the same amount of CPU power available?
    (depending on other users the VM server might simply be throttling your available CPU power)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How many fps are processing? What is the q level? Can yoh post the beginning of ffmpeg output up to the first few frames being processed just to see the script and result?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have installed ffmpeg on my win r2 server and it gives me headache with rendering videos!
    Would you mind installing other encoder (MT) like let's say handbrake or any other and observe same phenomenon of slowing down? It might give a clue between software or hardware, you can un-install it later on.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    check operating mode through the utility > http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
    Click image for larger version

Name:	UDMA5.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	23687
    If the system starts error, then it falls out of DMA to PIO mode - Starts high cpu usage
    It is recommended to change the port to the system reboots drivers/device manager-remove IDE channels and reboot (buy a new SATA cable)
    Do not fill the disk-to-ceiling, disable indexing files on the HDD (if not the system partition), check for broken HDD sector (in the last instance).
    Quote Quote