VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why do some new DVD movies that I rent not play on my DVD player? The DVD player will still play other DVD movies I own just fine and it will play some of the movies I rent, but on other new movie DVD's, it will play all the previews on the DVD, but not the movie. It freezes on the movie rating screen and will not play the feature movie. If I take that same DVD that will not play on my DVD player and insert it into the DVD drive on my laptop, it will play the movie just fine. Why will it not play it on my DVD player, but play it on my laptop? Why will it play the previews on my DVD player, but not the movie? Is there something new that they are doing to new DVD movies that is causing them not to play in some DVD players? I tried to google this problem and learned that many people are having this same problem on different brands of DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is not latest news. Moving you to our dvd player sections.

Is it just rented dvds?

I guess they aren't dvd-r/ws which could cause such problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely it's some combo of the following...

Your player is old.
    There's a lot of dust built up on the lens and cleaning it off will fix the problem.
    The DVDs you rent, despite being new or newish, have scratches or smudges that cause this problem.

If you live in a house where people smoke, residue can build up inside your player and cause problems like this too.

Not really enough info to do more than guess. Naming specific movies and telling the brand and model of your player could be helpful. There are some new anti-copy mechanisms on DVDs now but these really should not cause playback problems.
    Quote Quote