VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello! This is my first time dealing with subtitles, and I'm having a lot of trouble. So, I had a company send me a .mov with subtitles. It plays in QuickTime with the subtitles no problem. I needed to be able to upload said video to Vimeo, so that I could share it. However, upon uploading (via DropBox) it does not have the subtitles!

I did a little research, and poked around and heres what I found out. When I play the video in quicktime, there is no option for subtitles, it acts as if they aren't there. I downloaded VLC Media Player to test it out, and when played, it opened up two separate videos, one with the subtitles only, and the other was the actual film. I also found out the video was made with this editor http://www.supramotion.de/sublime/

Here are some screenshots:

Subtitles in Vimeo Thumbnail:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-01-25 13.27.45(2).png
Views:	177
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	23118

Vimeo Video Without Subtitles

Name:	Screenshot 2014-01-25 13.27.46.png
Views:	206
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	23117

QuickTime Playing subtitles, but not appearing in subtitles menu

Name:	Screenshot 2014-01-25 13.27.42.png
Views:	161
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	23119

VLC Playing 2 Videos

Name:	Screenshot 2014-01-25 13.27.45.png
Views:	171
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	23120
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    some actual information about the video would be nice. try installing the free mediainfo program, once installed you should be able to right click on the video file, put mediainfo into text mode and copy/paste the results here.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. This is a common problem when uploading a video with SOFTSUB, i.e. switchable subtitle.
    You will need to extract the subtitle stream first (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePzwPwziKKQ)
    And if vimeo supports CC caption like youtube, you can upload the SRT subtitle file.

Another method will be re-encoding the whole video with the subtitle becoming a part of video (HARDSUB, non-switchable)
    Quote Quote