VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    How to copy a movie from a VHS to DVD recorder? Should I need a macrovision free or hackable DVD recorder? If so, what is the brand and model?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't think we are allowed to put links up for such things....but it can be done....I did it quite often in the early days of my DVD Recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody
    How to copy a movie from a VHS to DVD recorder? Should I need a macrovision free or hackable DVD recorder? If so, what is the brand and model?
    There is a HUGE amount of discussion of this topic in the Forum archives. Just search on keyword "Macrovision" or "MV" and you'll have plenty of reading, encompassing a variety of different solutions on this issue.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use google to find informtion on websites who have not been blackmialed by Macrovision. It is out there.

Keep potential problems away from this website.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    I don't think we are allowed to put links up for such things....but it can be done....I did it quite often in the early days of my DVD Recorder.
    Do not know why some people are sensitive to the macrovisio. It is legal and reasonable to copy your own VHS and DVD. For protection of the original VHS and DVD, it is necessary to backup the tape and DVD. Should people ignore the potential damage of the original VHS and DVD and keep buying the replacement? I am talking about copy/backup your OWN movies. Does anyone know the good method to copy your own VHS onto a DVD disc according to your experience?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do it all the time to get my huge collection of tapes to Xvid. I use a pro SVHS deck that has builtin TBC and run it through a stabilzier box then into the PC where my ATI All-In-Wonder encodes to MPEG-2 on the fly. I then use AutoGK to convert to Xvid. Works like a champ. Just time consuming.
    Quote Quote  
  7. At Circuit City they have a Sima box to clear it up for about $99.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many sites have been targeted by Macrovision, including this one. Many of the users here would prefer this site not be placed at risk because of such a trivial and easy to defeat method of copy protection.

Only the laziest of individuals would have to come here to ask about how to defeat it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problems you are encountering may very well be caused by factors completely unrelated to Macrovision.

When converting VHS tape material to DVD it is helpfull to use a TBC to correct syncronization errors which might be present in the blanking area or vertical interval. These errors are most likely caused by old, stretched tape or a VCR with missalignments or worn heads. A TBC will clean these errors up, giving you a stable signal to work with.

Oops! Am I allowed to say TBC in this forum?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Macrovision is a company. This conversation has nothing to do with them.

Fore more info on addressing false anti-copy problems, see https://forum.videohelp.com/topic246129.html

The VHS signal is "dirty" and needs to be cleaned up before digital conversion.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is Macrivision a new form of copy protection? I've heard of Macrovision but Macrivision in a new one on me.

oldandintheway, I believe you are right about the lazy part.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I'll excuse the lazy. If you search "macrivision" you won't get any hits on VH. Google might do the "did you mean..." things, however.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will excuse the lazy too. Except for the lazy people who created a copy protection scheme that installs artificial errors on tape and then uses a detection system to look for ANY error on tape. If it sees ANY errors, it assumes it to be a copy protected tape and triggers the macro bit. Most frustrating when one is trying to cap their own camera tape and the capture device detects an error. No soup for you. Who captures mainstream Hollywood VHS movies to DVD anyways? Is this a big problem these days? Maximum 240 line VHS looks like death warmed over in comparison to a 480i/p DVD, especially on a big screen. Maybe rare, old and out of print movies that will never make it to DVD would be a candidate, but really, wouldn't the majority just opt to replace their VHS copy with the DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it does have a lot of methods existed. The most effortless one (but the picture still good) would be...... Do you know it, by the way?
    Quote Quote  
  15. There are macrovision free vcrs, just search the net for those.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I just used google and put in the words as coody stated on the initial post "hackable dvd recorder" and I also tried "macrovision free dvd recorder" and the search just light up like a Xmas tree!!! A ton of valuable information came up on both subjects. Might be worth a try and go that route for the information you are seeking, you will most likely find what you are looking for.

CC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    coody, Just get a Video stabilizer like Sima or something similar. I saw a few on Ebay for like $20.00...You can do it yourself cheap if you got the time & effort.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting VHS vs DVD reading marvingj......
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    t0nee1, Thanks maybe one day I can put some practical stuff up on the web page...
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've Bookmarked your page, and will be visiting from time to time...
    Regards.......
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get a Stabilizer for a few bucks. Try the following: http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer/
    I just used it today to convert a VHS to DVD. My JVC recorder cleaned up the video too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by coody
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Do not know why some people are sensitive to the macrovisio.
    When you been here as long as some of us have.....you tend to see
    possible "bait" threads like this:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338529.html#1762464
    started. All too often these type of threads pop up at the same time
    as threads like this one....ones that are walking the thin line.
    YOU may not get into any trouble....or anyone else who posts
    in this thread....but videohelp.com as a whole WILL suffer as a result...just
    as have many apps like DVDDecrypter and FixVTS have in the past.

I for one give a shit what happens to videohelp.com. If you do not....go somewhere else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Video Head
    I will excuse the lazy too. Except for the lazy people who created a copy protection scheme that installs artificial errors on tape and then uses a detection system to look for ANY error on tape. If it sees ANY errors, it assumes it to be a copy protected tape and triggers the macro bit. Most frustrating when one is trying to cap their own camera tape and the capture device detects an error. No soup for you.
    Agree 100% , the only good thing i can say about Macrovision is that's the reson I originally ended up at the doorstep of videohelp for the very reason you have stated above.

Lengthy article here about my dilemma and what I did.

www.nepadigital.com/mv/index.php
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

Better you search for an alternate digitalreceiver firmware which doesen't support (create) Macrovision AND CGMS. There are more "receiversolutions" aviables!!! My D-Box is Macro/CGMS free, my Philips 5300 not - but it works of course fine. If you buy a "stabilisator" make sure it support a RGB signal.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Just a point on the much older VCRs units, that are reported to be MV free.
    Many such units may very well be, but while they ignore MV they will pass it on to a DVD unit.
    Quote Quote