VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yesterday I tried to rip African Queen and it stopped at 21% and didn't go further. I then used WinxDVD it went through but it was all scrambled the begining at the end ect., Can someone please give me some help? Also it said that the movie was 1hour 40 minutes in length and my gf said it was about 3 hours. How do I get this to rip right?? thank you ,John
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's 105 minutes. If it feels like 3 hrs to your gf, this may be a project better left undone.

Assuming you own this disk, try a different ripper like DVDFab.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The African Queen is 1 hour and 45 minutes long. Your girlfriend is greatly mistaken.

DVDDecrypter is pretty old. It was last updated many YEARS ago. It's a long story but the author was sued and his settlement terms included him abandoning the program and never updating it again. DVDDecrypter does not understand some of the bad sector copy protection schemes that came out for DVDs after it was abandoned. If your case you will have to get a different ripping program. AnyDVD is the best of the commercial ones and it gets updated. If you want go free your options are limited. Supposed there is once again a free version of DVDFab that can be used for ripping, but it may be difficult for you to find it and I don't remember the new name of the ripping program. MakeMKV is free (although the installation is VERY deceptive and doesn't make it clear that if you keep installing the current beta every time the old one you had expires, you can use it for free forever) but depending on what you want to do with the ripped contents this may not be very useful to you. Your options to rip for free are extremely limited.

Short version - Your problem is most likely that The African Queen uses a type of bad sector copy protection that DVDDecrypter doesn't understand.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the latest dvdfab but it stops at 21% and winx doesn't do CSS, does anydvd trial decrypt CSS? John
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Supposed there is once again a free version of DVDFab that can be used for ripping, but it may be difficult for you to find it and I don't remember the new name of the ripping program.
    jman98: Do you mean this? - http://www.woookao.com/

There is a discussion here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1521928/dvdfab-website-blockked

I tried to examine the installer and see what was in there. I got two surprises.

First, I couldn't get it to do anything. I scanned it with MalwareBytes, result was clean.
    Avast ignores it initially because it has packed files.
    Seemingly, it installed nothing (it says it is a windows driver but I can't find it anywhere on the system) (rootkit? Bad install?).

Second, these packed files are password protected. But it's the names of the files which raise the heckles

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	168
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	25543

So why a crack file? Can anyone verify it works, and if so how is it used/deployed?
    To conclude: an unknown driver, by an unknown company, installing God knows what.
    Nothing really to report here. I am just posting my findings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    I have the latest dvdfab but it stops at 21% and winx doesn't do CSS, does anydvd trial decrypt CSS? John
    You know that DVDDecrypter, DVDFab and DVDFabDecrypter(though it's inside DVDFab) are completely different programs.....right?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but isn't DVD encrypted a part of dvdfab? John
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    Yes, but isn't DVD encrypted a part of dvdfab? John
    What?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't dvdfab use the decrypter?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Since you haven't mentioned it . . . . . Have you done a close inspection of the data side of the DVD? Perhaps there's a defect? I saw one recently that had a noticeable "bubble"-looking manufacturing flaw that made ripping impossible.

Will the DVD PLAY properly in a PC and/or standalone player? Granted, PCs tend to be far more picky about what glitches will stop playback, so a successful playing in a standalone may not mean much as far as ripping success.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Supposed there is once again a free version of DVDFab that can be used for ripping, but it may be difficult for you to find it and I don't remember the new name of the ripping program.
    jman98: Do you mean this? - http://www.woookao.com/
    Yes. That's the one. The rest of your post is not very encouraging about it, but thanks for letting us know. Guess I'm back to recommending AnyDVD for now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. While it's true that newer protection schemes defeat older rippers, it is NOT true that ALL newer DVDs use such schemes NOR that older rippers are useless.

Case in point:

RipIt4Me hasn't been updated since 2007, yet it often works perfectly.

It's a front end which uses DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (and maybe FixVTS, but that may have been incorporated into the last version, according to one remark I saw here). None of those have been updated in ages, either.

It is very easy to determine if RipIt4Me WON'T work: Check the computer-reported size of the VIDEO_TS folder. If it's vastly larger than what can be put on a DL DVD, RipIt4Me won't work. If it is a "normal" size folder which WILL fit on a DL DVD, there's an *excellent* chance of success, maybe not 100%, but worth a try--at no expense.

(We'd still like to know if you've done a physical inspection of the disc as to possible damage or flaw in manufacturing.)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is A Free Program Here That is Called MakeMKV. It Rips Every Type of DVD with Encryption. I Have Used it to Copy All of My 1638 DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Since nobody else mentioned I thought I would, it could be that the DVD is scratched. Go to Options and set read errors to ignore.
    African Queen was released in the early days so it shouldn't have ARCCooS or other fancy copy-protection.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    djmajicmixx - See my post #3 above where I also mentioned MakeMKV.

MOVIEGEEK - African Queen got redone for DVD and BluRay about in 2010. That is certainly after the time that bad sector copy protection began to be used.
    But yes, it is possible that it is scratched, especially if this is a rental. If it's a rental, the OP is advised to keep silent on that fact.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Since nobody else mentioned I thought I would, it could be that the DVD is scratched. Go to Options and set read errors to ignore.
    Uh, #10 and #12?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by CobraPilot View Post
    Since nobody else mentioned I thought I would, it could be that the DVD is scratched. Go to Options and set read errors to ignore.
    Uh, #10 and #12?
    Defect was mentioned but not scratches, I know it's semantics. I give you full credit if that is the cause.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!