VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have two different files of the same video.

File 1 Video
    Codec: XVID
    Bitrate: ~1400 kb/s
    FPS: 23.98
    Resolution: 624x352
    Size: 550mb

File 2 Video
    Codec: x264
    Bitrate: ~3300 kb/s
    FPS: 23.98
    Resolution: 1280x720
    Size: 1100mb

File 2 also has much better audio (high bitrate AC3) than file 1 (medium bitrate MP3).

I do not store files on DVD, I only store them on CD.
    I don't doubt that most people will find that odd, but I have my reasons.

If I recompress file 2 (audio to medium bitrate MP3, video to XVID bitrate ~2100 kb/s),
    I estimate this will create a file size around 700mb.

My question is:
    Is it likely that this new 700mb file will have better video quality than file 1?
    My guess is yes, but I am hoping that someone with expertise in this area will confirm it.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It is impossible to say with out seeing the video . The numbers alone mean nothing.

e.g. you could encode a 3300kb/s noisy vhs source video, but the quality would be crap.

Assuming file 1 is an xvid rip from a DVD source, and file 2 is a x264 rip from blu-ray source, both clean encodes, then it should look better @ 2100kb/s compared to the file 1 with only 1400kb/s

But your math is off. Assuming both videos are the same, ie. ~55min, the video at 2100kb/s will be about 825MB video only, then you have to add in the audio

Filesize = bitrate x running time

The correct question would be would it look better resized and encoded @ 1400kb/s like the 1st one, and the answer is probably look the same, or very slightly better. If you used the bluray source it should definitely look better.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote