VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone,

I have been doing video editing for a little over 10 years now. Nothing real heavy, just family videos, wedding DVDs/Blu Rays ect. I have never really had a 'professional' camera to shoot with, and I am looking to make the jump into an entry level camera for more serious shoots. I live in a small town, where there isn't a lot of options for video guys, and the ones doing it are charging ridiculous prices and don't know what they are doing over all. So i am looking to jump into a new camera.

I started out on the Canon HV30 in 2008, and then in 2012 I purchased the Sony HDR-CX580, which is currently my only camera. I have been doing audio work for bands for years, so I have a lot of higher end audio gear, but a lot of it is stationary and can't go with me on video shoots. I need a camera that is a solid run and gun camera that I can either pick up and start shooting in full auto mode, or use it on shoots where I can have full control over the camera. I will be doing several live concert events, music video shoots, and sit down interview type settings.

For this camera, I would rather stay in the ball park of $1200.00 to $1600.00 max. I don't have a lot of other video gear yet, and I am trying to make room in my budget for a decent tripod and some shotgun mics. Because of the price point at the moment, I am currently looking at the JVC GY-HM170UA 4K camera. I know 4k won't be a huge demand, but I plan on making use of it for my own personal projects, as I have seen what you can do with it as far as cropping when pushing a final render in regular HD without causing distortion/pixelation issues. I also would like 4k to be an option for the future, as it becomes more of a popular standard in the coming years. I am sure I will get even a better camera down the road when that happens, but the option will at least be there.

I originally was looking at the Sony AX100, but it lacks a lot of the manual controls unless you fiddle around within the on screen menus, and even then a lot of them are not accessible on the fly. The setup on it is much like my CX580 as far as menu navigation goes. It's more of a consumer camera, or I guess 'prosumer' camera. The main attraction to that camera is it's larger 1 inch sensor, but the JVC has a lot more manual options I need, and right now, I have a chance to get one for $1300.00 that comes with the XLR handle add on, and even a shotgun mic is included. I'm sure the shotgun mic I purchase down the road will be better, but it's a decent start.

I am totally new to the professional camera world. I have never shot with one yet, but I do try to make best of the manual options in my CX580. But I have a few projects coming up this year that will require a a better camera with on the fly manual ajustments. The JVC camera has a massive amount of options for customizing, with 9 programmable buttons on it. I have watched a few videos on the camera, and it looks pretty good overall. Here are a couple links to some of the videos, including a low light test with increasing gain settings (I know he is using the VC GY-HM200 camera, but they are bother the same camera except the 200 adds a SDI port and live streaming capabilities, which I do not need):

Overall look at the camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXJX7pJt0s
    Low light look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wU7xrEtlZ8

Any thoughts or opinions for me? What do some of you think about this camera? Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi, are you intending to shoot 4k, and will you be retaining 4k video after editing, or will you be down scaling to 1080p.

Personally i would not touch that JVC camera, especially that it only has the 1/2.3 sensor, personally i think the Sony AX100 kills it for less money, and it is a smaller camera, has a 1" sensor, and with the new firmware update it bumps the 4k from 60Mbps to 100Mbps, and it seriously is a killer camera, especially with the 1" sensor having better low lite capabilities.

Or you can hold out and buy the new Sony AX53, still has he smaller 1/2.33 sensor, but it does have the new stabilization system, very fast Autofocus, and 4k XAVC-S @ 100Mbps.

I still cannot decide if to go for the older AX100 with the new firmware update and 1" sensor, or wait for the AX53 in March.
    Quote Quote