VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,

I'm prepping to do some shooting for a small reality show this summer. The primary output will be for broadcast on Brazilian television, with a likely US release in an online format.

I'm trying to figure out what recording standard to use - PAL or NTSC. I'm assuming it's PAL, but even then, I'm not sure if I need to do 25 or 50 fps recording.

Anybody have any wisdom to share in this area?

Thanks so much,
    Geno
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Brazil analogue TV does use PAL but not as Europeans know it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, PAL-M runs at 29.97fps

But if I were you, I wouldn't care very much about being "analogue-friendly", so to speak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBTVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since the scratchiest part to change is frame rate, I'd record at 29.97fps. ISDB and (M before that) in Brazil uses that framerate. Any current pro or prosumer HD camcorder/workflow that features 29.97fps (drop-frame) or 30fps (non) may well do. Avoid using the terms PAL or NTSC because they are analogue and are dead if not dying. Another is, PAL is normally associated with B, I, D broadcast systems, NTSC with M; Brazil uses (used) a hybrid PAL-M, which to the untrained can cause confusion and make one conclude the framerate is 25fps, which it is not.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just use NTSC.

All cable TV and Air TV using NTSC type.1080i@29.97

I´m a brazilian guy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    [COLOR=Navy][I]Just use NTSC.
    This.

Brazilian DVDs are in NTSC because their supposed "PAL" system is actually a lot more NTSC like than PAL like. You'll have fewer problems if you use NTSC. But I would think that someone working for Brazilian TV would have access to TV people who could tell you what to do instead of posting on some website and asking for help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks so much for the input, everyone. The PAL-M thing was really throwing me off. So I basically just need to shoot as if filming for an American reality-show - 30fps and business as usual.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by genotheitalian View Post
    Thanks so much for the input, everyone. The PAL-M thing was really throwing me off. So I basically just need to shoot as if filming for an American reality-show - 30fps and business as usual.
    But, as jman98 says, better to ask the broadcasting company what they expect.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

Brazilian DVDs are in NTSC because their supposed "PAL" system is actually a lot more NTSC like than PAL like. You'll have fewer problems if you use NTSC. But I would think that someone working for Brazilian TV would have access to TV people who could tell you what to do instead of posting on some website and asking for help.
    Thanks for the input. This is my first time working with these folks and answers to my questions have been slow, so I decided to take it upon myself to find answers rather than continue waiting. I will definitely try to get in touch with the broadcasters if possible to confirm these details.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM

This is my first time working with these folks and answers to my questions have been slow, so I decided to take it upon myself to find answers rather than continue waiting. I will definitely try to get in touch with the broadcasters if possible to confirm these details.
    If "those folks" have been slow at answering your questions, well,
    I would not work with them, if I were you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Thanks for the input. This is my first time working with these folks and answers to my questions have been slow, so I decided to take it upon myself to find answers rather than continue waiting. I will definitely try to get in touch with the broadcasters if possible to confirm these details.
    I forgot who you were dealing with and I was thinking of you dealing with some modern, first world country. Yeah, Brazilians have an interesting sense of "time". I wish I could tell you I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Some of their airports are being modernized for the World Cup (starts in June) but the actual improvements won't be finished for 2 or 3 years. So yeah, I can see that they might be slow to respond.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I forgot who you were dealing with and I was thinking of you dealing with some modern, first world country. Yeah, Brazilians have an interesting sense of "time". I wish I could tell you I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. Some of their airports are being modernized for the World Cup (starts in June) but the actual improvements won't be finished for 2 or 3 years. So yeah, I can see that they might be slow to respond.
    Haha yeah, exactly. Different way of operating over there...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FORMATS APPROVED By TV Globo (Biggest AirTV enterprise on Brazil)

Complete info here: http://www.globominascomercial.com.br/files/operations/files/501c1825-c574-4eac-b103-7...e2bb018c2c.pdf
    Last edited by Cauptain; 16th Apr 2014 at 01:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem isnt Brazilian plps.

The problem are peoples you chose to work. This is the real problem.

Choose better in next time.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    @Cauptain, that table is great, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!