VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. So I've just bought a Sony BDP-S360 and I'm trying to burn a blu-ray format / quality movie on a DVD+DL. However, all's not going according to plan.

He's a little about my setup:
    • Computer is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 2727 laptop w/ 2gb ram.
    • Windows 7 Ultimate.
    • Internal optical drive is an Optiarc AD-7590A with firmware 1.41.
    • Disc is 2.4x Datawrite Titanium Dual Layer.
    • MKV file is Cars.2006.1080p.Bluray.DTS.x264-SHiTSoNy.mkv.

I used to tsMuxer to convert the MKV file to Blu-ray format. That went fine.

Used ImgBurn and Nero 9 (tried both) to burn the 2 Blu-ray folders (BDMV and CERTIFICATE). Selected UDF 2.5 in both cases and also burnt at 2.4x speed in both cases. Also opted to verify the burn in both cases.

Result is, when burnt in ImgBurn, PC doesn't recognise the burnt disc at all. With Nero, PC recognises the disc as a Blu-ray disc, but WMP won't play it and neither will VLC. However, going in to the \BDMV\STREAM folder (on the Nero burnt disc) and playing 00000.m2ts, works fine in VLC.

Problem is, both discs when played in the Sony BDP-S360 player have perfect sound but very choppy video (unwatchable).

Note that, back on the PC:
    • The original MKV plays fine (no choppiness).
    • The tsMuxer created 00000.m2ts located in \BDMV\STREAM on the hard drive plays fine (no choppiness).
    • The 00000.m2ts located in \BDMV\STREAM on the Nero created disc plays fine (no choppiness).

What's going wrong?

I'm no expert - and in desperate need of your advise. My suspicions are:
    • The discs I'm using are of poor quality, which may explain why ImgBurn produces discs that are unreadable in my PC and both ImgBurn and Nero produces discs with choppy video in the Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray player.

-or-
    • The Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray player is not very good at reading Blu-ray format movies that are on DVD+DL discs.

-or-
    • Some other problem entirely!

I'd love your thoughts.

2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The ONLY reliable DL media is Verbatim. Taiyo Yuden does make DVD-R DL discs, but they are sold only in Japan and they are not exported. So you need to use Verbatim discs. And I highly recommend using DVD+R DL and not DVD-R DL.

Some BluRay players are fussy about the names of directories on DVD discs. Some require you to burn the disc in BluRay format and some require AVCHD format. I know nothing about your player and what it expects. http://www.doom9.net has a forum that discusses what various BluRay players require to be on the disc for successful playback of BluRay format on DVD media, but you'll have to look to find it.

Search Comp PM
    What is the format of the original HD file? If it's mpeg2 you may have to re-encode the video to H264. I had the same problem with my Sony BDP-S550. Re-encoding the video to H264 then making an AVCHD BD9 disc worked just fine.

4. Install UDFReader, and reboot. The files should now be recognized on your PC. Once you've established they are recognized, throw away the buggered disc(s).

Use quality media and give it another go. From the beginning.

[EDIT] Oh, and use ImgBurn only, forget Nero. Your Sony should have no trouble with *good* media. I have the same player myself.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just buy cars on blu-ray. Don't download warez crap releases. PROBLEM solved.