VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all!

I'm buying a dvd movie and the seller states that
    " it is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media"
    and
    "this product is expected to play back in DVD Video 'play only' devices, and may not play in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives".
    I had never have seen such product with these characteristics before!

Which kind of "authoring" is that which only allows to watch it's video content just from dvd's standalone dvd / blu-ray devices?

I have many movies that I have paid and I always could watched them in my PC, standalone players, etc.

It is imposible in such situations to make this kind of manufactured dvd's being "playable" on PC, for example?

No program that can help it, for example?

I'm curious about the technicals aspects in such kind of "authoring" disks.

Thanks for the tips!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Which kind of "authoring" is that which only allows to watch it's video content just from dvd's standalone dvd / blu-ray devices?
    1) He or she is LYING and assuming buyers will not even try to copy it because he said this?
    2) It is simply an MPEG2 video file burned to a disc and he/she is hoping, assuming some players play a "file on a disc"?

Who knows. 99% of the people who do this type of thing are dirtbag bootleggers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. @hech54

Hello!

In fact I found such seller in Amazon site. He / her states that the movie are made on demand. And said that disc only play in "specifical" devices, not being possible to play on PC, for example. I do not know if this seller is fake or bootleg. Apparentelly, its product is legal.

And my curiosity is to know if is it is possible or not happen what he / her said.

If there is a "technical way" in "authoring" some discs and its video / audio contents ( dvd movies , in my case ) that prevent / limit us to play such discs only in specifical ways.

Do you know something about it? Or it is not true?

Thanks for the tips!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  4. "this product is expected to play back in DVD Video 'play only' devices, and may not play in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives".
    is simply a boiler-plate, cover-your-ass disclaimer by the producer. There are a lot of people out there, with utter garbage playback hardware that barely works to begin with, who might have problems with this type of specialty DVD-R. Also, there are loads of illiterate morons who either don't read the fine print that says "Burn On Demand DVD-R" when they buy something, or pretend they didn't read it so they have an excuse to return it (after viewing, of course) because "they didn't know it wasn't a standard pressed disc." So studios add these extra disclaimers to get your attention ahead of time, to drive home clearly that the title is NOT a standard pressed DVD, and it may be problematic played on old or crappy hardware.

Problems arise with burn-on-demand discs for two main reasons: one, blank DVD-R media today is so crummy that it tends to burn poorly, which some players have difficulty playing back, and two, some studios insist on applying a bastardized, retrofitted version of the CSS authoring spec which was never intended for burnable media (only pressed discs). Some older players and PC drives cannot understand a DVD-R with CSS overlay, so will refuse to play it or play it with glitches.

Over the last few years I've bought approx 20 of these "burn-on-demand" titles, and haven't had any issues with any of them. They work fine on my ancient circa-2001 Panasonic and Philips DVD players, my 2006-2008 DVD recorders, newest BluRay players, and assorted PCs/Macs. The video quality on most of them equals (often exceeds) the PQ of typical pressed discs. So unless you have a very old or very picky player or PC drive, you shouldn't have any problems. The only real drawback to burn-on-demand is that burned discs are not as archival/durable as pressed discs: make sure to keep them away from sunlight and/or heat.

All above refers to official, studio-sanctioned burn-on-demand products purchased thru legitimate dealers. Many sellers on Amazon, eBay and other web sites offer bootleg DVD-Rs, which is a different thing entirely. Quality ranges from surprisingly good to terrible, but sometimes you have no other choice for some truly obscure titles (like old American tv-movies-of-the-week). Get the official studio products whenever possible, as bootlegs often can't be returned or exchanged.
    Last edited by orsetto; 25th Dec 2014 at 10:37.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello, dear all!

Thanks for the information! :P

I'm just wanna know something about the DVD-R medias that I will get paid on Amazon ( or similar sites) before to take the product.

And I don't wanna have any problems viewing such discs. Its useful to know the cons and pros about DVD-R discs before the buying!

Now I can decide better if its worth or not to buy the discs in such conditions.

If you have some more information to add, it will be very nice!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 26th Dec 2014 at 09:03.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Hello, dear all!

Thanks for the information! :P

I'm just wanna know something about the DVD-R medias that I will get paid on Amazon ( or similar sites) before to take the product.

And I don't wanna have any problems viewing such discs. Its useful to know the cons and pros about DVD-R discs before the buying!

Now I can decide better if its worth or not to buy the discs in such conditions.

If you have some more information to add, it will be very nice!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Just give us the link to the product so we can see if it is from Amazon or some marketplace seller.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hello.

The link that I see the DVD-R:

---> http://www.amazon.com/Abandoned-Deceived-Gordon-Clapp/dp/B004TH78GE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...d+and+Deceived

I do not want to buy a product that will not play on my PC if I want to, forcing me only to watch it on dvd / blu-ray standalones devices.

Thanks.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Hello.

The link that I see the DVD-R:

---> http://www.amazon.com/Abandoned-Deceived-Gordon-Clapp/dp/B004TH78GE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...d+and+Deceived

I do not want to buy a product that will not play on my PC if I want to, forcing me only to watch it on dvd / blu-ray standalones devices for those who really want it.

devil (johner)
    This one is straight from Amazon. You don't have to buy it but obviously this TV film is out of print so I suppose we should be glad Amazon at least makes it available on demand.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello.

This one is straight from Amazon. You don't have to buy it but obviously this TV film is out of print so I suppose we should be glad Amazon at least makes it available on demand.

But the way the disc is manufactured by Amazon it will not be playable on PCs and similar ones? Only standalone players?

Thanks.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Hello.

But the way the disc is manufactured by Amazon it will not be playable on PCs and similar ones? Only standalone players?

Thanks.

devil (johner)
    I suppose so but at least you can see the movie!

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM

I do not want to buy a product that will not play on my PC if I want to, forcing me only to watch it on dvd / blu-ray standalones devices.
    It will play on your PC as long as your drive is a DVD-ROM. A DVD+/-RW drive will not be able to read the disc. You must have a DVD-ROM only PC drive.

If your drive is a RW, you can buy a cheap DVD-ROM drive for under $20 if you have an empty drive bay in your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well, I'm glad that at least we can see this out-of-print movie in some way.

Amazon uses some kind of "technology" or "protection" that prevent us to play such discs on a PC, for example?

No way to watch then on a PC, for example?

In that case the disc doesn't have any subtitles available .

But if it existed, how could I OCR the subtitles ( using Subrip or Subtitle Edit, for example) if such disc even play on a PC / similar devices? No possible? No solution in such cases?

Edited ( nice to hear that! ):

It will play on your PC as long as your drive is a DVD-ROM. A DVD+/-RW drive will not be able to read the disc. You must have a DVD-ROM only PC drive.

If your drive is a RW, you can buy a cheap DVD-ROM drive for under $20 if you have an empty drive bay in your PC.

Thanks for the tips!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!