VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just burned a DVD using Toast (and MacTheRipper to rip), but it'll only play on newer DVD players. It refuses to even play in my 2006 MacBook. Why is this? Back when I was on a PC, I used DVDShrink and the DVD's would play anywhere. Please help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not much info in your post. But in general, common sources of this type of problem are marginal media/marginal burn. Use good media (e.g., Taiyo Yuden), burn at one or two notches less than maximum speed. Handle the discs only by the edges.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    Not much info in your post. But in general, common sources of this type of problem are marginal media/marginal burn. Use good media (e.g., Taiyo Yuden), burn at one or two notches less than maximum speed. Handle the discs only by the edges.
    What else would you need to know? I'm using Memorex discs that have been fine in the past with DVDShrink and I burned at 4x.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That additional information is helpful. Other useful info would be things like whether you bought a new spindle of this media just prior to the onset of difficulties, or if there were any other things you changed around that time (like type of burner, or software).

In any case, Memorex discs are known not to be very good. As lordsmurf has pointed out, the Memorex-branded stuff you encounter out in the field these days is actually made by second- or third-rate manufacturers. You don't really know what you're getting, other than that it isn't very good. One common problem with such off-brand media is that, even when you get a seemingly successful burn, only a subset of drives will read the resulting disc successfully. Good media burns well, and is readable on most drives. Your experience suggests that you might once have gotten a relatively good batch of media, and then got some newer, worse stuff. Or that you changed burners, and this new burner couldn't do as good a job at burning junky media as your previous one. In any case, the solution is to go out and purchase high quality media, instead of the stuff on sale. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are often cited as very good, for example.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It does sound like a media problem. But you might also take a look at our Mac Forum. You may get more Mac specific answers there. I can move this thread there if you like. It also helps to fill out your computer details so we know what sort of system and OS you are using.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Taiyo Yuden 8x at 4x plays flawlessly on Panasonic A120 DVD player, but Verbatim Taiwan 16x at 2x/4x has resulted in anywhere from zero hiccups to one hiccup to several hiccups to freezing and locking up. Some Verbatims that gave problems to Panasonic A120 played fine on Philips 724 and a newer Panasonic.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Somewhat paradoxically, it is possible to burn too slow. Here's how that counterintuitive result can occur: The drive vendors have to tune the firmware for a variety of media and a variety of speeds, and it's a lot of work to do this right for all possible combinations. They generally make the assumption that fast media will be burned fast, and focus on making that work well. There is a tendency for the firmware guys not to expend much effort at tuning for slow burn speeds. In fact, they often just make an educated guess, and simply extrapolate parameters from the high-speed case. That's why it's actually prudent not to burn at speeds too far removed from maximum, because that forces the drive to rely on assumptions that may or may not be accurate. A good rule of thumb is to burn at just one or two notches down from maximum. For 16x media, I wouldn't burn slower than 8x, for example.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Generally 2x is too slow on MCC 16x media. However, it mostly depends on the drive, and sometimes even the burning software (though much less often). You'd want to stick to 4x-12x speeds, and in a known-good burner.

Panasonic is known to have ridiculously picky players.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    Somewhat paradoxically, it is possible to burn too slow. Here's how that counterintuitive result can occur: The drive vendors have to tune the firmware for a variety of media and a variety of speeds, and it's a lot of work to do this right for all possible combinations. They generally make the assumption that fast media will be burned fast, and focus on making that work well...
    At another forum they always have various rules of thumb on burning speeds and there is always folks who burn at '4X for quality'.

Here's some scans comparing 4X burning

These are from an LG burner.

Re: LG GH22N/L Results & Discussion

Verbatim DVD-R 16X ( MCC 03RG20 ) CMC Made New Packaging MAP6
    Purchased from Micro Center 50pack / OCT / 2008
    LG GH22NP 20 v1.02 ... Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.7.7.16
    Burn Speed 4X

Note the Quality Score:

Now another, same 16X Verbs, burned faster than the rated speed:

Verbatim DVD-R 16X ( MCC 03RG20 ) CMC Made New Packaging MAP6
    Purchased from Micro Center 50pack / OCT / 2008
    LG GH22NP 20 v1.02 ... Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.7.7.16
    Burn Speed 22X

Note the quality score.

The results with TYG03's were similiar.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't see any quality scores, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say. If you get a chance, would you try editing your post to include those? I'd be much obliged.

But let me be clear: I am not saying that burning slow is always bad. I chose my words very carefully: "It is possible to burn too slow." It depends on the particular combination of media, drive and firmware. No single contrary experiment suffices to be dispositive, because you cannot logically preclude the possibility that some other combination will have trouble.

I myself have experienced bad burns of 16x media at 2x, but found healthy burns at 8x or 12x. That's what got me started in conversations with my brethren at drive companies. They explained how no one spends any time tuning firmware for low speed burns -- the cost/benefit ratio is simply unfavorable. They do spend enormous amounts of time to tweak for maximum speed. That's where the profit is for these guys.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rsherid
    I just burned a DVD using Toast (and MacTheRipper to rip), but it'll only play on newer DVD players. It refuses to even play in my 2006 MacBook. Why is this? Back when I was on a PC, I used DVDShrink and the DVD's would play anywhere. Please help!
    Have you burned other DVDs with that same setup (Mac, Toast) that do play properly in your Mac and in older players?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    #1 LG isn't a very good burner.
    #2 Burning 22x on 16x media caused those problems.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote