VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok i am stuck and need some help. I have a 5.6gb movie file in an mp4 container i want to play on my xbox (and yes these files do work on xbox just not normally if they are over 4 gb). I am currently running on a windows pc using winxp. I have read many forums and tutorials etc. and learned that i can indeed play any file type larger than 4bg on the xbox if i format an external hard drive (or usb stick) in the mac HFS+ format.

Ok so i found a program called transmac that does it. I formatted the usb drive in transmac (on my windows pc) and it showed it worked and in the transmac window it even shows the folder it created on the usb, but now when i go back to "my computer" and click on the usb drive icon to try and add the file, windows either tells me the drive is not formatted and asks me to format or says there is not enough room for the file even though i have more than enough space since this usb stick holds 7.7gb and is currently empty. So obviously windows xp still is not recognizing this usb stick as HFS+ even after i format it......... Maybe i am missing a step??

So i am confused as to how i get this file onto the usb stick since for some reason even when i format in HFS+ i can't get my computer to recognize it. Anyone that can help??

I was thinking there must be software that runs on windows that i can use to format to HFS, or do i need to be on a mac to get this to work?
    Last edited by Cornholio77; 17th Jan 2012 at 06:39.
    Quote Quote  
  2. this sux
    Last edited by Cornholio77; 17th Jan 2012 at 06:48.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our media center section.

No, I don't use my xbox 360 for any video playback so I have no idea...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry on the other thread i just don't know how to edit my topic description thats why i made a new thread
    Quote Quote  
  5. testing how to edit topic descrip i dont kow how lol
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Click on Edit and Go advanced and you should be able to edit the title.
    Quote Quote  
  7. thank you, fixed
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    HFS+ drive support (and ANY foreign drive support) is NOT built-in to Windows. Transmac uses it's own proprietary driver to provide support for HFS+ - WITHIN THE PROGRAM ONLY. Therefore, you can open transmac, use it's own file manager to add/write files or read/extract files, but you can only do this within the program. XP itself still doesn't understand the HFS+ filesystem.

To get XP to understand it, you would need a Windows-wide filesystem driver add-on. The most common one is MacDrive (which I've suggested many times on this forum).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ys i tried Macdrive but for some odd reason everytime i run it to install it shows it is extracting the files and setting it up, then the install window disappears and nothing has been installed....

I tried about 6 different versions and all did the same so i am stumped with Macdrive. However, i did get Transmac to work. It sure isn't very specific program so i did trial and error and figured it out. I had to drag the file to a specific window in the transmac program. I had no options in the toolbar to add the file etc. so for anyone else that tries to use this program, i hope that info will help lol. However, i still ended up having an issue. Here is the file i deposited into my HFS+ formatted usb drive. Once i added it, i popped the usb in my xbox and tried to play ti and got the annoying, "cannot play this file." The positive is i know it worked since xbox saw the file but i am now stumped as to if this file did not work because it is an mp4 file over 4gb, or is something else in the encoding wrong. Any help will be fine.

P.S. - i ran a file almost identical to these file settings last week (only that the file was under 4gb) and it worked fine. So did something just not go right and xbox would not play this since it is over 4gb?? Also i have had issues with this file type over the last few weeks but a simple solution was using Yamb and converting it to a simple mp4 container. Each time i have done this in the past weeks, the files played fine on xbox once i used Yamb however all these former files in this format below were under gb in size. So i am suspicious that maybe xbox still did not like this file size??

General
    Complete name: movie.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom
    File size : 5.41 GiB
    Duration : 2h 39mn
    Overall bit rate : 4 868 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-16 10:44:29
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-01-16 10:44:29
    Writing application : Yamb 2.1.0.0 [http://yamb.unite-video.com]

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=48
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 674 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 7 445 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.169
    Stream size : 5.20 GiB (96%)
    Writing library : x264 core 120 r2120 0c7dab9
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=14.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=4700 / vbv_bufsize=4650 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-09-08 11:43:25
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-01-16 11:25:57

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 248 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 216 MiB (4%)
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-16 11:10:22
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-01-16 11:25:57

Any help would be wonderful and thanks !!

Also not sure if this info helps, but when i check the properties of this file in transmac here is what it tells me. Does everything here look ok?

File Name: Movie.mp4
    File Type Its blank
    File Creator Its blank
    Data Fork Size 5,811,000,000 bytes
    File Format No entry in Type Map
    Extension on PC: Its blank

P.S. - i am getting conflicting statements on this issue as well when i google or search forums: Can the xbox play MP4 files over 4gb if the drive i am using is formatted with HFS+ or will this indeed only work for wmv files? No matter where i look i find some people saying it will only play wmv files and some saying it will also play mp4. Can anyone help as i think this is the issue. I think that even with HFS+ only wmv files larger than 4gb can be played.....
    Last edited by Cornholio77; 17th Jan 2012 at 19:00.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Can the ex-box handle aac audio? or files over 4gb? trial and error.
    I would ditch hfs+ on a windows Pc .. ..
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote