VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    After a long absence in making video recordings I am struggling a little to find the correct setting.
    I am usinga Sony RDR-HX680.
    This doesn't seem the case with programmes in 16:9
    Could anyone shed a light ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-09-01-22h39m36s282.png
Views:	741
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	33424
    Quote Quote  
  2. UPDATED: As Skiller (below) astutely noticed, your set top box is feeding your dvd recorder 4:3 material as if it were widescreen anamorphic, unnecessarily squeezing it. This is further complicated by your Sony being one of many DVD recorders that inexplicably do not encode the needed 16:9 flag with 16:9 material. Instead, all recordings are flagged as 4:3, which means they will display fullscreen/squeezed on an old CRT television and squeezed with black bars on the sides when viewed on a modern 16:9 television. The 16:9 video is correctly stored as anamorphic/squeezed 4:3 per the dvd spec, but the instruction signal that automatically unsqueezes to 16:9 on a 16:9 tv (and letterboxes on a 4:3 tv) is missing. This looks even worse when broadcasters mangle 4:3 by coding it as 16:9.

It is easy enough to correct with modern 16:9 televisions: just hit the Picture Size button on the remote and switch from "Norm/4:3" to the "Full Screen" or Wide" or "16:9" setting. In essence, this is what the missing widescreen flag on your Sony dvds would do: automatically trigger your TV into "unsqueeze" mode.

A more elegant, permanent cure is to rip a copy of the dvd VIDEO_TS folder to your PC hard drive, add the widescreen flag with a utility like pgcEdit, then burn the modified VIDEO_TS folder to a new duplicate dvd. The pgcEdit interface looks like the control panel of an atomic submarine, but the steps needed to add the widescreen flag are fairly easy (just ignore the dizzying array of settings and do only the specific steps). It is simple to do but very tedious to explain how in a forum post- let me look around and see if I can find where I've posted the pgcEdit steps in an earlier thread.
    Last edited by orsetto; 3rd Sep 2015 at 11:55.
    Quote Quote  
  3. This is what you need to do with pgcEdit when you want your Sony or Pioneer dvds to work like standard commercial dvds:

1. Download pgcEdit from the VH tools section and install it.

2. Copy the VIDEO_TS folder from your recorder dvd to your PC hard drive.

3. Start pgcEdit. Its opening screen is a request for donations, the third button from left at bottom will count down 15 seconds and then change to "Remind Me Later". Click there, and the program window will open. (If you donate to the developer, he will provide a key to eliminate this 15s startup delay.)

4. Click the round disc icon at the upper left corner of the pgcEdit window, right under the word "File," or click "File>Open DVD" in the menu. This will let you navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder you copied to your PC hard drive. Select that folder to open.

5. Once you open the VIDEO_TS folder you will get this message:

Warning: No First-Play PGC in your VMG!
    A new, blank First-Play PGC will be created.

Click "Yes." What this step does is add a flag to the dvd that tells any player you load it in to automatically begin play, starting with the first video on the disc. This is much better than the usual "play dead" Sony dvd that does nothing until you hit the menu or play button on your remote- most people who don't own a similar dvd recorder are confused when the Sony-burned dvd you gave them just sits there and does nothing after the tray closes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OPTIONAL:

If you would rather have the dvd automatically show the disc menu instead of auto-play the videos, you need to change a couple more settings:

In the left panel click once on the top line that reads VMG, First-Play PGC.

Now in right panel double click on the line that says (JumpTT) Jump to Title 1

This brings up the Command Edit screen.

Click on Alphabetically menu at the top of the Command Edit dialog and select JumpSS-VMGM-menu from the left column.

Click OK and now it should say (JumpSS) Jump to VMGM Title Menu in the right panel.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

6. In the left panel you will see a list of videos (aka Titles) on the dvd. Click once (do NOT double click) on "Title 1" or "Title 2" or whichever one you want to automatically play as 16:9 widescreen, to highlight it.

7. At the top of the pgcEdit window, click the "Domain" menu and select "Domain Streams Attributes" from the drop-down.

8. A sub-window will open showing the current setting of that video as "4:3" To change it to the correct widescreen flag, click the little white button next to "16:9." This will also activate "Automatic Letterbox" for when the DVD is played on an old 4:3 CRT television. Click the "OK" button to save the new flag and dismiss the window. Repeat steps 6, 7, and 8 for any other widescreen Titles you have on the DVD (if more than one).

Be careful NOT to change the setting for any proper true 4:3 (or letterboxed 4:3) videos you might also have on the same dvd- otherwise these will be distorted. For example, if you have a dvd with six TV episodes from different eras, some widescreen and some "old-school," you only need to change the widescreen ones to 16:9 domain setting.

9. Click the "DVD In A Folder" button at top left corner of pgcEdit screen (or select "Save DVD" from the File menu). This will save all the changes you made to correct the dvd.

10. Click the red X at the top right corner of the pgcEdit screen, or choose "Quit" from the File menu. The program will prompt "Changes have been saved successfully" and "Don't Forget To Donate" before closing.

11. Open the VIDEO_TS folder you saved to your PC hard drive. Delete the "pgcEdit Bkp" folder you will find inside. Close the VIDEO_TS folder.

12. Burn the modified VIDEO_TS folder to a new blank dvd, preferably with the free IMGburn v2.4.4.0 utility you can download from this VideoHelp link.

The modified duplicate dvd will now work just like a normal commercial Hollywood dvd when loaded in any hardware or software player, with correct auto-aspect ratio for widescreen material.
    Last edited by orsetto; 3rd Sep 2015 at 11:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It looks like the receiver you connect the Sony to is pillarboxing the video so that the output frame is always 16:9 rather than adaptively switched between 4:3 and 16:9 depending on the programme.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Orsetto! Thanks for the good explanation, I will surely try it out.
    I thought DVD-R(W) always records the WS flag or am I wrong ?

The dvd recorder only has two options: Normal or full for 4:3 video Do I change it to full screen as well ?
    When recording to a DVD, does it matter in what picture size I switch the TV to ?

Skiller: Yeah, I think that 's the case. I guess the video from which I took the snapshot is ruined right ?
    If I change the resolution to 16:9 in tmpgenc authoring dvd, the video changes to 4:3 but with black bars.
    Do I need to change some settings in my decoder ?
    Last edited by curykuru; 2nd Sep 2015 at 08:38.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IFOEdit is another tool you could use for correcting the aspect ratio in IFOs, after copying the DVD to your hard drive. Instructions are here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/f14/using-ifoedit-setting-16-9-16x9-flag-59409.html

Some DVD players (I have one of these picky players) also look at the aspect ratio in the VOB and won't display video using a 16:9 aspect ratio unless both the IFO's aspect ratio flag and VOB's aspect ratio flag are set to 16:9.

DVDPatcher can correct the aspect ratio flags in the VOBs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by curykuru View Post
    I thought DVD-R(W) always records the WS flag or am I wrong ?
    It isn't the blank disc type that determines correct video presentation, its the authoring software. Unfortunately a great many well-regarded stand-alone dvd recorders employ authoring software that is idiotically crippled with vital pieces of dvd spec missing such as "First Play PGC" and aspect ratio flags. Sony, Pioneer and early JVC were the worst offenders: their half-assed dvds sit and play dead when loaded in hardware players until manually started, and aren't recognized at all by quite a few PC software players. When they do play, widescreen 16:9 content is not correctly decoded, requiring manual setting of display framing (especially troublesome with old 4:3 televisions that lack such controls). Why the hell this was ever allowed by the dvd spec patent holders to begin with is a mystery: setting these flags correctly in automated recorder software is not rocket science, as evidenced by later cheap crap recorders like Magnavox that do it properly.

The dvd recorder only has two options: Normal or full for 4:3 video Do I change it to full screen as well ?
    If you want standard anamorphic 16:9 recordings of 16:9 inputs, all recorder settings should be at 16:9. True 16:9 recordings can have a flag added later to auto-letterbox when displayed on an old TV, but hard-letterboxed recordings cannot be similarly optimized for widescreen tvs. So every 16:9 source should be recorded in true 16:9.

Double check all the picture framing settings of your RDR-HX680. Go to Home Menu> Initial Setup> Playback> TV Screen Size and make sure 16:9 is selected. Then go to Home Menu> Initial Setup> HDMI Output and set Screen Resolution to 720 x 480p, and 4:3 Video Output To Full. These settings allow the broadest compatibility with both 4:3 and 16:9 inputs.

When recording to a DVD, does it matter in what picture size I switch the TV to ?
    Not to the actual recording, no, but if you will be watching while recording, you'll want to set the TV to match whatever you are recording (4:3 for properly-broadcast old-school stuff, 16:9 for contemporary widescreen material [or botched "4:3-as-widescreen" broadcasts like the sample in your first post above].

I guess the video from which I took the snapshot is ruined right ?
    UPDATED: ALSO SEE MY FOLLOWUP POST #17 BELOW: Yes and no. In one way, the recording itself is fine: this is how dvd is designed to work, with widescreen material squeezed into a 4:3 frame that is later unsqueezed by the player and/or TV. The problem lies with your set top box incorrectly squeezing 4:3 as if it were also widescreen, instead of leaving it be. Your Sony 680 is incapable of over-riding this broadcast error: it doesn't implement framing flags, it records exactly what it is fed. You just need to rip the original recorder dvd VIDEO_TS folder to your PC, and add the auto-unsqueeze 16:9 flags per my instructions (or using other utilities as suggested in the other replies you've received). When you copy the modified VIDEO_TS folder to a new duplicate disc, that disc will function exactly as you would expect from a commercial Hollywood disc. When played in a hardware or software dvd player, all should be well with such modified 4:3 recordings, but converting from dvd to other video formats will be tricky because of the incorrect double-squeeze.

Using DVD-RW as a temporary "carrier" to move the recorder files to your PC is a good idea. Just be sure each DVD-RW has been initialized by your Sony to "Video Mode" and not "VR Mode" (this info will show if you open the dvd navigator screen). If it shows "VR Mode", go to Home Menu> Disc Setup > Initialize> Video Mode to fix it (you only need to do this once for each DVD-RW). Also remember to Finalize each DVD-RW in your Sony before ripping to your PC. After ripping, you can re-use the DVD-RW by going to Home Menu> Disc Setup> Finalize> Undo Finalize, then erase each title from the DVD-RW to start over.

You don't want to use DVD+RW for this task, as it is a slightly different spec that doesn't finalize, and the source disc needs to be finalized before ripping to your PC. Stick with DVD-RW, DVD-R or DVD+R.
    Last edited by orsetto; 3rd Sep 2015 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Some DVD players (I have one of these picky players) also look at the aspect ratio in the VOB and won't display video using a 16:9 aspect ratio unless both the IFO's aspect ratio flag and VOB's aspect ratio flag are set to 16:9.
    You've mentioned this in several threads over the years, and I always forget to ask for further details.

Do you know if pgcEdit sets both the IFO and VOB flags? I vaguely remember asking the developer once, and I think he said it does, but I'm not positive. Have you ever used pgcEdit for this type of setting repair? So far I have not had any AR issues playing pgcEdit dvds on any hardware/software I've tried, so the compatibility point you mentioned may be rare, but I'd still like to be sure all my bases are covered.

What player brand/model do you have that is "picky" in this regard? If I can find one that still functions, it might make a good test unit for various purposes.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks! I changed the settings in my dvd recorder.

I am copying the content of a disc to my pc now.
    How about my older recordings ? Would it matter if I just change the aspect ratio from squeezed 4:3 to 16:9 in tmpegenc dvd author ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by curykuru View Post
    I am copying the content of a disc to my pc now.
    How about my older recordings ? Would it matter if I just change the aspect ratio from squeezed 4:3 to 16:9 in tmpegenc dvd author ?
    I've never used tmpegenc, so I can't advise whether or how it could be used to fix these dvds. Perhaps you could try it, and let us know if it solves your issue, if so we can add it to the list of cures. One "gotcha" to watch out for: make sure the tmpegenc settings you use to change 4:3 to 16:9 are only changing the flag: this only takes a second or two. If you start seeing a lengthy progress bar, etc, that means the program is re-encoding the video which will reduce quality. If you suspect re-encoding, skip tmpegenc and use one of the utilities mentioned in earlier posts: these change just the framing flag, they don't touch the video itself. That is the best way to preserve quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I still think the settop box the Sony is connected to pillarboxes the 4:3 broadcast. You don't want that – you lose 25% horizontal resolution because of that. There might be a setting in the settop box ("auto" or similar) which makes it always output the original unmodified broadcast aspect ratio, rather than a fixed aspect ratio. If there's no such setting, which is more and more common unfortunately, you either have to live with the pillarboxing or keep switching the output aspect ratio from 'always 16:9' to 'always 4:3' for 4:3 broadcasts and then back again for 16:9 broadcasts...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You've mentioned this in several threads over the years, and I always forget to ask for further details.

Do you know if pgcEdit sets both the IFO and VOB flags? I vaguely remember asking the developer once, and I think he said it does, but I'm not positive. Have you ever used pgcEdit for this type of setting repair? So far I have not had any AR issues playing pgcEdit dvds on any hardware/software I've tried, so the compatibility point you mentioned may be rare, but I'd still like to be sure all my bases are covered.

What player brand/model do you have that is "picky" in this regard? If I can find one that still functions, it might make a good test unit for various purposes.

Thanks!
    It turns out I did tell you about my player before here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/369365-Trouble-getting-DVD-Patcher-to-convert-succe...=1#post2366509

I wouldn't think that PgcEdit could set aspect ratio flags in a video stream. Restream can do it for elementary video streams (demultiplexed video files). DVDPatcher can set the aspect ratio flag for VOBs. I think AVStoDVD can be set up to correct the video aspect ratio during authoring.

Cornucopia, who authors DVDs for a living, recommends correcting the aspect ratio in both the IFO and the video stream because if they don't match there is no way to predict what happens on playback. See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364133-Change-aspect-ratio-without-full-re-encoding...=1#post2317734
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You did mention making your recordings on a Panasonic ES-10 in that thread, but it wasn't clear that this was also the "picky player" that won't trigger 16:9 unless both IFO and VOB are patched. Thanks for the update.

I wouldn't think that PgcEdit could set aspect ratio flags in a video stream. Restream can do it for elementary video streams (demultiplexed video files). DVDPatcher can set the aspect ratio flag for VOBs. I think AVStoDVD can be set up to correct the video aspect ratio during authoring.

Cornucopia, who authors DVDs for a living, recommends correcting the aspect ratio in both the IFO and the video stream because if they don't match there is no way to predict what happens on playback. See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364133-Change-aspect-ratio-without-full-re-encoding...=1#post2317734
    I just noticed upon re-reading the older thread you linked, Skiller claimed pgcEdit does simultaneously patch two attributes when AR modifications are entered:

You can also use PgcEdit to patch the IFOs – it changes the flag in both places (VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_xx_0.IFO) so it's less tedious than using IfoEdit.
    Sorry if I'm being dense, but is that what you are referring to when you recommend patching both IFO and VOB? If pgcEdit operates as Skiller suggests, does it cover both your concerns?

Again, thanks for your input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sorry if I'm being dense, but is that what you are referring to when you recommend patching both IFO and VOB? If pgcEdit operates as Skiller suggests, does it cover both your concerns?
    In addition to the domain attributes in VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_xx_0.IFO files there are also MPEG header aspect ratio flags throughout the entire MPEG stream, every single GOP has one.

So to make it 100% compliant you need to

– patch VIDEO_TS.IFO as well as VTS_xx_0.IFO (PgcEdit does both in one step)
    – patch the MPEG aspect ratio flag in every GOP (VOB files)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    I still think the settop box the Sony is connected to pillarboxes the 4:3 broadcast. You don't want that – you lose 25% horizontal resolution because of that. There might be a setting in the settop box ("auto" or similar) which makes it always output the original unmodified broadcast aspect ratio, rather than a fixed aspect ratio. If there's no such setting, which is more and more common unfortunately, you either have to live with the pillarboxing or keep switching the output aspect ratio from 'always 16:9' to 'always 4:3' for 4:3 broadcasts and then back again for 16:9 broadcasts...
    That is possble. I used to have a US cable box capable of pillarboxing 4:3 material to 16:9 for 16:9 TVs.

However, if the channel being recorded is 16:9, the pillarboxing could be added by the broadcaster. Only the OP knows the aspect ratio used by this channel.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Sep 2015 at 11:14.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM

Again, thanks for your input.
    I mean patching the aspect ratio in the VOB's video headers, not the aspect ratio in the IFO associated with the VOB.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    I still think the settop box the Sony is connected to pillarboxes the 4:3 broadcast [...]
    Ah, crap: Skiller is correct: I was right about the solution, but wrong about the source of the problem. Embarassing!

kurykuru, upon first glance your opening post confused me because the wording was tricky and the snapshot looked like the very common dvd recorder issue of "missing widescreen flag causes squeezed display".

Skiller has better eyes (and apparently better reading comprehension) than me: he correctly deduced that your snapshot was actually a 4:3 source that has been incorrectly recorded as anamorphic squeezed widescreen. He is also spot-on that this is caused by your set-top box sending the wrong signal to your Sony RDR-HX680.

I agree with him that there is probably nothing you can do to fix this during recording: the overwhelming majority of broadcasters and decoder box mfrs have settled on an all-or-nothing approach to analog output settings. If you set the box for proper, full 16:9 "squeezed" output, any material that is 4:3 will also be squeezed. Some boxes will allow you to temporarily switch to 4:3 output, which will deliver 4:3 correctly (but letterbox 16:9 into a 4:3 frame- very undesirable). Even this varies with the channel or service provider: many of them have shifted to "windowboxed" 4:3 if you set the box output to 4:3 (this shrinks the 4:3 frame and surrounds it with black borders on all four sides- hideous even on a 4:3 TV).

Basically, all broadcasters and box mfrs now assume that the world has reached critical mass in terms of 16:9 television adoption, and base their output signals on the notion that "everyone" has a 16:9 display with controls to unsqueeze anamorphic video. This wreaks havoc for those still clinging to CRT 4:3 televisions, and makes a hash out of attempts to digitally capture correctly-framed 4:3 material.

This changeover to all-anamorphic analog output occurred with New York City cable-tv systems about two years ago, ruining my ability to capture older 4:3 movies in a standard 4:3 aspect ratio with my dvd recorders. So I have the exact same issue with 4:3 as shown in your snapshot: it is squeezed with pillarbox bars on either side. The only fix to "unsqueeze" the frame back to normal 4:3 is to follow the same instructions one would do for widescreen: rip the VIDEO_TS folder to your PC and change the display flag(s) to "16:9". This will automatically make the 4:3 frame look normal on a 16:9 display (because the distorted 4:3 was broadcast as if it was 16:9, as if the black side bars were actually a useful part of the image).

Unfortunately, this doesn't help much if you need to view on an old 4:3 television, or you want to harvest parts of the DVD for a standard 4:3 video file. While correcting the dvd flag(s) will fix the problem perfectlly for a 16:9 television, the same dvd will appear windowboxed on a 4:3 television, and converting it to an MKV, etc, for portable use becomes annoyingly complicated.

Very long story short: if all you need to do is play your Sony RDR-HX680 dvds (or hdd) on a 16:9 television with correct aspect ratio, either get in the habit of using the tv framing button to unsqueeze everything, or rip and modify the dvds (exactly as discussed in earlier posts) to automate the correct framing. For any other use, 4:3 material recorded by your Sony from your set top box will be difficult to work with (but true 16:9 widescreen recordings should be OK).
    Last edited by orsetto; 3rd Sep 2015 at 12:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unfortunately, this doesn't help much if you need to view on an old 4:3 television, or you want to harvest parts of the DVD for a standard 4:3 video file. While correcting the dvd flag(s) will fix the problem perfectlly for a 16:9 television, the same dvd will appear windowboxed on a 4:3 television, and converting it to an MKV, etc, for portable use becomes annoyingly complicated.
    I agree pillarboxed SD broadcast is rubbish. It should purely belong to HD broadcasts.

However, windowboxing on a 4:3 TV is not a must for the resulting DVD. You can use PgcEdit to disallow Letterbox and allow only Pan & Scan in the domain streams attributes. This will force the DVD-player to do a static 4:3 center cut if it's display setting is either "Letterbox" or "Pan & Scan". Since this setting in DVD-players in only a preference, the player is forced to do the Pan & Scan (center cut) rather than Letterboxing if the disc does not allow Letterbox, even if the user selected Letterbox.

Like so...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PanScan.PNG
Views:	259
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	33457
    And that is how I would fix such recording (in addition the VOBs should be patched to 16:9 as well). Anything the broadcaster (or settop box) puts in the pillarbox bars will be cut off on a 4:3 TV, or partly cut off – which looks quite ugly.

It's technically extremely stupid to squeeze 4:3 video into a pillarboxed 16:9 frame but this is becomming a new trend unfortunately.
    Last edited by Skiller; 3rd Sep 2015 at 13:44.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi Guys,

Thanks for the many replies so far, you have been helpful already.

Skiller, I am afraid you are right, but I will check for sure tomorrow. If I can't find anything about it in the settings of the decoder, I won't mention it.

If I record on a DVD+RW instead of a DVD-RW does it mean I would not be able to change the video 's AR to 16:9 using the software you all mentioned ? I never had to finalise my DVD+RWs and I always cut away the commercials on my pc using TAW
    And when do I know when a programme is being broadcasted in 2.21:1 compared to 16:9 ?

I tested TAW, changing the the AR to pixel16:9, maybe I should have done display instead ? The output of the DVD took about 10m.
    then I tried this software called MediaInfo which I used on the newly authored dvd and this is the result. I am not sure if it did any re-encoding. Where should I look at ? Compression mode ? Writing library ?

Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.BUP
    Format : DVD Video
    Format profile : Menu
    File size : 20.0 KiB
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Compression mode : Lossy

Text
    Format : RLE
    Format/Info : Run-length encoding
    Bit depth : 2 bits

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO
    Format profile : Menu
    File size : 20.0 KiB

Video

Text
    Bit depth : 2 bits

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 1.27 MiB
    Duration : 480ms
    Overall bit rate : 22.2 Mbps
    Writing library : encoded by TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 Version. 4.0.12.42

Video
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Duration : 480ms
    Maximum bit rate : 7 000 Kbps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Writing library : TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 Version. 4.0.12.42
    Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
    Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System B, BT.470 System G
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Text #1
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-32 (0x20)
    Muxing mode : DVD-Video

Text #2
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-33 (0x21)

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.BUP
    Format profile : Program
    File size : 28.0 KiB
    Duration : 21mn 30s
    Overall bit rate : 178 bps

Video

Audio
    ID : 128 (0x80)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Menu
    00:00:00.000 : Chapter 1
    List (Audio) : 0

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO
    Overall bit rate : 178 bps

Video

Audio

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
    File size : 1 024 MiB
    Duration : 14mn 43s
    Overall bit rate : 9 716 Kbps

Video
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : Variable
    Format settings, picture structure : Frame
    Bit rate : 9 300 Kbps
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.897
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    Stream size : 976 MiB (95%)

Audio
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Stream size : 27.0 MiB (3%)

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB
    File size : 471 MiB
    Duration : 6mn 46s
    Overall bit rate : 9 710 Kbps

Video
    Time code of first frame : 00:14:44:02
    GOP, Open/Closed : Open
    Stream size : 448 MiB (95%)

Audio
    Delay relative to video : -384ms
    Stream size : 12.4 MiB (3%)

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_0.BUP
    Duration : 21mn 58s
    Overall bit rate : 174 bps

Video

Audio

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_0.IFO
    Overall bit rate : 174 bps

Video

Audio

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_1.VOB
    Duration : 14mn 44s
    Overall bit rate : 9 714 Kbps
    Writing library : encoded by TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 Version. 4.0.12.42

Video
    Duration : 14mn 44s
    Writing library : TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 Version. 4.0.12.42

Audio

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_2.VOB
    File size : 503 MiB
    Duration : 7mn 14s
    Overall bit rate : 9 711 Kbps

Video
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Duration : 7mn 13s
    Time code of first frame : 00:14:44:13
    Stream size : 479 MiB (95%)

Audio
    Duration : 7mn 14s
    Delay relative to video : -632ms
    Stream size : 13.3 MiB (3%)

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_03_0.BUP
    File size : 26.0 KiB
    Duration : 17mn 13s
    Overall bit rate : 206 bps

Video

Audio

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_03_0.IFO
    File size : 26.0 KiB
    Overall bit rate : 206 bps

Video

Audio

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_03_1.VOB
    Overall bit rate : 9 717 Kbps

Video
    GOP, Open/Closed : Closed

Audio

Menu

General
    Complete name : C:\DVD\NoSubject_2015-09-03\VIDEO_TS\VTS_03_2.VOB
    File size : 173 MiB
    Duration : 2mn 29s
    Overall bit rate : 9 702 Kbps

Video
    Time code of first frame : 00:14:44:02
    Stream size : 165 MiB (95%)

Audio
    Delay relative to video : -448ms
    Stream size : 4.57 MiB (3%)

Menu
    Quote Quote  
  20. sorry, seems I double posted
    Last edited by curykuru; 7th Sep 2015 at 06:16.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    PgcEdit changes the AR flag in the IFOs only. You need to use DVDPatcher or similar to change the AR in the VOBs (and, ideally, you need to patch the entire file, not just the first occurrence).
    Anyway, the IFOs should always have precedence. It's clearly required by the DVD specs. If your player uses the AR from the VOBs instead of the IFOs, it has a bug. (Of course, that does not apply to the players that can play a VOB file directly, in file mode instead of "DVD mode".)

I just noticed upon re-reading the older thread you linked, Skiller claimed pgcEdit does simultaneously patch two attributes when AR modifications are entered:

You can also use PgcEdit to patch the IFOs – it changes the flag in both places (VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_xx_0.IFO) so it's less tedious than using IfoEdit.
    The AR information of a Title is stored in several places: in the IFO of the titleset of the title, in VIDEO_TS.IFO, and in the VOBs. IfoEdit doesn't change the flag in the VOB of course, and furthermore it changes it only in the IFO you are explicitly editing. Therefore, you need to edit two IFO files to change the AR correctly (although most players look in the IFO of the titleset only). PgcEdit changes it in VIDEO_TS.ifo and in the IFO of the titleset at the same time.

Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    In addition to the domain attributes in VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_xx_0.IFO files there are also MPEG header aspect ratio flags throughout the entire MPEG stream, every single GOP has one.

So to make it 100% compliant you need to

– patch VIDEO_TS.IFO as well as VTS_xx_0.IFO (PgcEdit does both in one step)
    – patch the MPEG aspect ratio flag in every GOP (VOB files)
    That's perfectly correct, although if you play the DVD with a (good) DVD player, patching the VOBs should not be necessary.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  22. Alright, it seems the decoder settings could be changed afterall. I tried again and it was recorded the correct way. Thanks!

Did anyone check the log from mediainfo ?

If I change the DAR in TAW it will reencode it. If I change the PAR it will use the smart renderer. Would this mean I don't need to copy the DVD content to my PC harddrive first and patch it with pcgedit or dvdpatcher ? I need to cut away the commercials anyway.
    Quote Quote