VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, please bare with me as I'm new to Bluray and Mac's.

I'm trying to back up my Bluray collection to DVD's. I've found that using MakeMKV I can rip them to my hard drive in perfect quality. After this if where the problem starts. I've found 1 software package that does the entire conversion in one step (DVDFab) but the results are not good. They would be fine except that there are digital artifacts glitching throughout the playback, and it keeps the subtitles as selected.

Total Video Converter can take the MKV file and transcode it without the artifacts, but all subtitles are lost (not to mention it's a bitrate guessing game when making settings) as it makes only an mpeg file that has to be converted to VOB's by Roxio Toast. The whole process is irritating and convoluted.

Pavtube DVD Creator is much simpler to use, and it produces no artifacts but it also converts first to mpeg before proceeding to a DVD file set, and the subtitles are again lost. It's easy to use, seems to produce decent quality, but it's a fail due to subtitles being striped away.

Can someone point me to a method that would produce both decent quality playback and subtitles?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I may ask, why are you bothering with the conversion to standard def DVD media? Why not simply rip to 720p with subs burned in and store your collection on a few hard drives? Then use something like a WDTV media player to play the movies? DVDs are so 20th Century.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    If I may ask, why are you bothering with the conversion to standard def DVD media? Why not simply rip to 720p with subs burned in and store your collection on a few hard drives? Then use something like a WDTV media player to play the movies? DVDs are so 20th Century.
    Do you hear yourself?!

DVD didn't get officially started until 1995/96 and didn't really take off in sales until 1999. So they are "20th Century" for what, a year? This completely discounts the real fact that they didn't peak until 2006/07 (and probably would have peaked even later if there hadn't been the Global Economic Downturn of 2008/09). Way to forget history and rewrite it to your convenience. See: http://www.dvdinformation.com/news/press/CES2009yearEnd.htm for details.

@OP, rumplestiltskin does have a point about the possibility of using non-downrezzed material directly in an HD-capable general media player. However, if you sincerely want to stick with DVD-level material, there are some fine materials for going BD-to-DVD out there (listed on this site). I would recommend especially ClownBD or DVDFab's bd converter.

The main problem I see for you is the "Mac" part. If you deal at all with BD, you're going to have to learn to use Windows to get anything real done, whether a separate machine or dualboot or emulator/Virtual machine...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    ... Pavtube DVD Creator ...converts first to mpeg before proceeding to a DVD file set ...
    They all do that. Mpeg2 is the only video codec that the dvd format supports.

If one encoder gave you better quality results I suspect that's just because the default settings are more advanced. The dvdfab disc decrypter is very good but I wasn't impressed with their encoder. Ironically, the encoder is the part they charge for.

You should probably know that video encoding is one area where you don't get what you pay for. Most complaints about software here are regarding $50-100 video tools. Almost always there's a much better free one.

I agree that reencoding to 720p would give you much more satisfactory results in a reasonable file size. But I disagree that you should burn in the subs. You can just store them within a .mkv file. Any decent player can play that.

I'm not an expert on mac tools but I'd try handbrake. Read the docs though. High quality x.264 encoding is not simple. And the simple tools are not good.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "20th Century" - Cornucopia, I think you were interpreting the phrase literally while I was writing figuratively. My bad. "so 20th Century" means "now old and obsolete". I would write the same phrase about BluRay and for the same reasons. Steve Jobs called that technology "a bag of hurt". Sell your soul to the MPAA by accepting DRM, buy new equipment (and media), limit your playback choices. The OP has to engage in DMCA violation in order to rip his BluRay discs; We're still subject to DMCA yet it was passed in 1998. Isn't that "so 20th Century"?

As for burning subtitles into the movie: If they're for your personal use and you need subtitles in order to understand what's being said on-screen, why not? Why keep multiple subtitles and have to turn the right one on and off when you need one (and only one) always? Perhaps my use is just way different than yours.

Additionally, my experience with some media players leads me to recommend H264/AAC in an mp4 or m4v (or even mov) container rather than mkv. I've seen stuttering with some mkvs although this seems be a result of excessive audio compression in those files (and probably caused by improper settings). I use MP4Tools to convert mkvs to MP4 (I do re-code the audio but usually can pass through the video) and MP4Tools does offer to decompress the audio (with those worrisome files). My WDTV player (or Mac or PC) never has a problem playing or FF'ing the files once I've done the conversion. The WDTV player can also handle separate subtitle files if they're named properly so that is always an option if you don't like the "burn 'em in" idea; however, the subtitle size option in the player is not always what one might desire so I like burning them in. Again, this is personal experience; YMMV. While Handbrake has many more options, I tend not to use it much any more as I've moved away from DVD and never bought into BluRay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    Because I want to, it's a new toy and I want to learn how to do things. I have a new MAC PRO, a new Bluray Burner, new Bluray's (movies not players) and several DVD players in the house that everyone else watches. I have a Bluray player in my personal room only, and I keep the kids out of there. And I don't confine myself to only one room in the house.

I'm old, disabled and hearing impaired, I need the subs to prevent having to turn up the volume so loud that I become unwelcome in my own house.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    The main problem I see for you is the "Mac" part. If you deal at all with BD, you're going to have to learn to use Windows to get anything real done, whether a separate machine or dualboot or emulator/Virtual machine...
    Scott
    I hope not, I know how to use windows, I choose not to. I've run linux on all of my 12 machines for years, and only recently moved to MAC (about 3 weeks ago) and I love this thing. Windows is not an option for me. I've already found a ways to output good video and sound from Bluray to DVD conversion, but I lose original chapter markers and all subs. I'm just looking for a way to include them. I can live without all of it if I have to, it's just a fun little thing I like to do.

When I started coping my DVD's in Linux, it was difficult at first, but it didn't take long before it was easier than doing the same in windows. I'm hoping the same will happen with Mac and BR but if it doesn't it doesn't. I just want to know how if possible, it's all in fun.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

@OP, rumplestiltskin does have a point about the possibility of using non-downrezzed material directly in an HD-capable general media player. However, if you sincerely want to stick with DVD-level material, there are some fine materials for going BD-to-DVD out there (listed on this site). I would recommend especially ClownBD or DVDFab's bd converter.

Scott
    I've tested the DVDFab software and it does exactly what I want, the problem is that it's producing digital artifacts on playback of the the converted file. If it weren't doing that, I'd be perfectly happy with the result produced. I've contacted DVDFab support and got a reply late last night. They told me to turn off hardware acceleration and give it a try. I haven't done that yet but I will in a couple of days. If that works, then I'm a happy camper. I'll post back once I've tried that.

Never heard of Clown-BD, I'll look at that one too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, it turns out I had all the default settings for DVDFab correct as suggested, so no change there. I had a look at Clown-BD and saw that it's a windows only option. Also, DVDFab didn't respect chapter points or subtitles either in the final output. I wonder if that's because it's a trial version? Probably not, I will note however, the DVDFab produced file has fine detail and sharpness to the point that I can barely tell it's different from the original (except for the artifacts). The artifacts appear during scenes where fast movement or bright colors (explosions) are combined with black backgrounds. I'm guessing that the bitrate is too low for the particular scene. I don't get this effect with the other encoders, but they lose the sharpness that DVDFab somehow manages to keep. It looks like NOTHING will be able to preserve the sub's but I can put in new chapter markers when burning withToast.

I'll keep searching for a way...
    Last edited by crjackson; 30th Mar 2013 at 16:30.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    Hello, please bare with me as I'm new to Bluray and Mac's.

I'm trying to back up my Bluray collection to DVD's. I've found that using MakeMKV I can rip them to my hard drive in perfect quality. After this if where the problem starts. I've found 1 software package that does the entire conversion in one step (DVDFab) but the results are not good. They would be fine except that there are digital artifacts glitching throughout the playback, and it keeps the subtitles as selected.
    Can someone point me to a method that would produce both decent quality playback and subtitles?

Any help would be appreciated.
    I also use MakeMKV to rip my Blurays to my hard drive. Including subtitles and alternate audio tracks etc.

I then use HANDBRAKE (free software) to compress the 30GB main movie MKV file to 4.4GB file and burn it to a DVD. The resulting quality is excellent IMO. And Handbrake will retain all alternate audio tracks and subtitles which can be selected with your bluray players remote. And it's easy enough to burn any extras you want to retain to a second DVD.

The resulting DVD has no menus (of course) and will playback ONLY in a Bluray player. It won't playback in a DVD Player.
    I find it a "reasonably" quick (Handbrake will take some hours to compress a large file) and efficient way to backup bluray disc's.

I hope that helps.

PS: (I use Verbatim IJ printable DVD-Rs which when bought as a cake cost about 60cents each).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @phase
    I just tried handbrake and the quality blew me away. I used the MP4 file type for output and burned it to a DVD. It would not play in my set top Blu ray player. Should I use mkv instead?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    @phase
    I just tried handbrake and the quality blew me away. I used the MP4 file type for output and burned it to a DVD. It would not play in my set top Blu ray player. Should I use mkv instead?
    Firstly, do you have a DVD+RW disc? I always find you save money by using a rewriteable initially.

A couple of questions to see if we can debug this issue as quickly as possible.

How did you burn the MP4 file to the DVD?
    What software or process?
    It needs to be burnt as a data file.
    I use Roxio's TOAST software for this. (BURN is free software and very similiar).

Now, when you say it would NOT play, do you mean you inserted the DVD in your bluray player, located the MP4 file on the DVD and pressed play and nothing happened?

I generally use the MKV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska) setting so I can retain subtitles and alternate audio tracks. Matroska simply being a container for the MP4 file.

Robert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got plenty of DVD-R's and DVD+RW and DVD+R, not worried about wasted media. I used a +R, burned with Toast as a DATA UDF, Bluray player couldn't load the file..
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    I've got plenty of DVD-R's and DVD+RW and DVD+R, not worried about wasted media. I used a +R, burned with Toast as a DATA UDF, Bluray player couldn't load the file..
    Cool. I also use Toast. Here's my full process for backing up a bluray film.

- I use MakeMKV to rip bluray to MKV files.
    - I use Handbrake to compress MKV files to a suitable size.

- Start Toast.
    - Select the "DATA" tab.
    - Select "DVD-ROM(UDF)" option.
    - Drag the MKV file into the Toast window.
    - Burn and verify the DVD.

- Insert the DVD into the Bluray player. (I have the SONY BDP-S370).
    - As you have inserted a data DVD nothing should happen.
    - On the S370 I go to the "Home Menu Display". (As it's called).
    - I select the "VIDEO" option, locate the DVD and select it.
    - The various MKV files are displayed. I select one and press play.

The MKV file should start playing within a few seconds depending on you player.

Robert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Actually, my player gives a disc error and won't load anything, it won't give me a menu screen to search for the file either. I use these disc's all the time in this player, so I know it's the process. It always jumps to a media screen (when a non-movie media disc is inserted) and allows for selection. I didn't get that this time. I may even try burning the mp4 file again on a rewritable disc just to see if it was a bad burn.
    Last edited by crjackson; 31st Mar 2013 at 21:39.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    Alright, I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Actually, my player gives a disc error and won't load anything, it won't give me a menu screen to search for the file either. I use these disc's all the time in this player, so I know it's the process. It always jumps to a media screen (when a non-movie media disc is inserted) and allows for selection. I didn't get that this time. I may even try burning the mp4 file again on a rewritable disc just to see if it was a bad burn.
    What model Bluray player are you using?

Because I've been doing this for over a year without any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your problem could be almost anything including the player just being bitchy. Install MediaInfo and post here what it tells you about the converted file your player won't play. It could actually be an audio issue so let's see what MediaInfo says about your file.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Toast use the Video DVD option so the file gets converted to MPEG2 and authored properly. While -some- BR players (and some DVD players) know how to work with unauthored files in a "foreign" format, some do not. Alternatively, use other software to create the mux'd video file so Toast only has to do the authoring (as its MPEG2 encoding is not necessarily the best). If the disc you present to the player is a "real" DVD-Video disc, you'll eliminate one of the variables (and have a disc that will probably work with every BR player in your house).

In a related example for illustrative purposes: My car has a CD player that knows how to play MP3 CDs. But one of the players in my house knows only how to play "genuine" "Red-Book-Standard" audio CDs. It's just a difference in the hardware/firmware in the players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's what worked. It's a long BS process but it worked. I took an MKV ripped file (40GB) from the Bluray, then converted it to a 4.2GB MP4 using Handbrake. I used Toast to make a video DVD by dragging the file to it's add media area. It took most of the night (I was sleeping) but it produced a wonderful quality DVD5 (wow, I was going to use DVD9 but forgot to change the setting) that plays perfectly and with chapters. I still don't have subtitles, but I guess I'll have to live with that for now. It's a long process, so I won't be doing many of these, but I'm fairly happy because now I know how to do it. If I could just figure out a way of keeping the subtitles, I'd be doing backflips right now.

It's a cheap Maganavox Bluray player, so there's no telling who actually made it since they don't build their own electronics. I suspect it's not capable of playing anything other that a properly authored DVD/CD/Bluray disc. I'm not too disappointed when you consider the original movie was 40 GB now compressed to 4 GB. I just want to learn how to keep the subs.

Also, I've been working with the folks at DVDFab and they have duplicated my complaint. I'm told they will have a fix for it in the near future. I don't know if these folks are blowing smoke or not, but if they do bring it to good working order for OSX, then I'll gladly fork out the money for their efforts.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MediaInfo.png
Views:	561
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	17039  

Last edited by crjackson; 1st Apr 2013 at 13:22.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The original spec for the MP4 container did not allow AC3 streams to be used for audio. Although this was eventually changed, apparently word of the change didn't get out very well. Some people still don't know about it and some manufacturers implemented the old spec. One possibility is that the AC3 audio in your file is causing problems for your Magnavox player in that it might not be smart enough to know that it should allow it. It's also possible that you have a naming problem only. M4V named files may not be supported. Try renaming the M4V ending of the file to MP4 and see if that fixes the problem. If not, you can try demuxing the AC3 audio out and producing a new file that only has the video and AAC audio, but as I don't like to work with MP4/M4V containers I will leave it to others to help you with that.

Just FYI, we had a guy a few days ago who also had a problem with the M4V name issue and once he changed it to MP4 it fixed his problem. It's easy enough to try that first.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's what worked. If I could just figure out a way of keeping the subtitles, I'd be doing backflips right now.
    You will have difficulty converting ripped Blu-Ray subtitles to something that can be used for DVD authoring. Both DVD and Blu-Ray subtitles are graphical, not text-based, but they are different resolutions and formats. The only guide I've seen for converting Blu-ray subtitles to .srt subtitles for DVD authoring requires tools that are not OSX compatible. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313620-How-to-extract-subtitles-from-a-Blu-ray-and-...srt-or-sub-idx You might find the subtitles you want on a free subtitle website, such as subscene.

DVDStyler is supposed to be able to author a DVD from Blu-ray rips in an .mkv container. It supports subtitles, so you may want to try that as well once you have obtained subtitles in a form it can use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    The original spec for the MP4 container did not allow AC3 streams to be used for audio. Although this was eventually changed, apparently word of the change didn't get out very well. Some people still don't know about it and some manufacturers implemented the old spec. One possibility is that the AC3 audio in your file is causing problems for your Magnavox player in that it might not be smart enough to know that it should allow it. It's also possible that you have a naming problem only. M4V named files may not be supported. Try renaming the M4V ending of the file to MP4 and see if that fixes the problem. If not, you can try demuxing the AC3 audio out and producing a new file that only has the video and AAC audio, but as I don't like to work with MP4/M4V containers I will leave it to others to help you with that.

Just FYI, we had a guy a few days ago who also had a problem with the M4V name issue and once he changed it to MP4 it fixed his problem. It's easy enough to try that first.
    Okay, I'll try that later just for the sake of knowing. I've found that Toast can actually convert and author MKV files, I've got one converting and burning right now, but I have no idea what the quality will be like. I don't really expect too much but I'll post back the results when it's finished.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Here's what worked. If I could just figure out a way of keeping the subtitles, I'd be doing backflips right now.
    You will have difficulty converting ripped Blu-Ray subtitles to something that can be used for DVD authoring. Both DVD and Blu-Ray subtitles are graphical, not text-based, but they are different resolutions and formats. The only guide I've seen for converting Blu-ray subtitles to .srt subtitles for DVD authoring requires tools that are not OSX compatible. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313620-How-to-extract-subtitles-from-a-Blu-ray-and-...srt-or-sub-idx You might find the subtitles you want on a free subtitle website, such as subscene.

DVDStyler is supposed to be able to author a DVD from Blu-ray rips in an .mkv container. It supports subtitles, so you may want to try that as well once you have obtained subtitles in a form it can use.
    I have some experience with DVDStyler for Linux. I'll download this and give it a go. Who knows? Might just be the ticket for me. BTW, DVDFab supposedly handles the subtitle issue from Bluray to DVD. I'm going to remove the version I have installed now as a new beta is out. I'll give them another shot as well. I've got to say however, I'm amazed at the quality produced by Handbrake. I can see why some many people use it. It's slow as dirt though, but I guess that's what it takes for quality.

Does anyone here know if Apple's Compressor for FCP will work as a stand alone? Also, is it any good?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by crjackson View Post

Does anyone here know if Apple's Compressor for FCP will work as a stand alone? Also, is it any good?
    Yes it will. It's not the best or the fastest but perfectly fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, toast finished rather quickly with the MKV file. Video looks surprisingly good. Chapters are all there. NO AUDIO however. Going to try again just to confirm I didn't do something wrong. If I get the same result again, I'll use Handbrake again, and then Toast. That seemed to work okay the first time. I just downloaded DVDStyler, but haven't installed it yet.

DVDStyler seems to work fast, it's over halfway done. Toast on the other hand is at 25% and has been running a lot longer. I fully expect Toast to crap out on the audio again.

I saw no options in DVDStyler for anything about subtitles though. I'll check further when this first test run is finished. If it all turns to crap, I'll run it through Handbrake and test with each (Toast/DVDStyler) to see which gives the best result. I was really happy with the HB / Toast conversion. It's just slow as snot...
    Last edited by crjackson; 1st Apr 2013 at 15:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Toast likely isn't re-encoding, should just be burning. Though I could be wrong if it has started going down the same one-size-fits-all road that Nero did.

Best to confirm each step with a MediaInfo readout. That way, you'll know where the fault lies.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw no options in DVDStyler for anything about subtitles though.
    Maybe this will help you find DVDStyler's subtitle feature. http://www.gofree.com/Tutorials/DVDStylerAddSubtitles.php
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Toast likely isn't re-encoding, should just be burning. Though I could be wrong if it has started going down the same one-size-fits-all road that Nero did.

Best to confirm each step with a MediaInfo readout. That way, you'll know where the fault lies.

Scott
    Yeah, Toast is encoding as per it's screen status and wow it's pretty slow. I'm going to kill the session, because DVDStyler seems to be kickass.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe this will help you find DVDStyler's subtitle feature. http://www.gofree.com/Tutorials/DVDStylerAddSubtitles.php
    I'll give it a read in a little bit. Playback of the finished iso from VLC shows 2 subtitle tracks included. They don't work however, at least not from within the iso and using VLC. I'm going to extract it and play it with the regular DVD player app. Either way, it's by far the BEST quality finished product and lightening fast compared to the others. DVDStyler looks like it's going to be my goto app.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The tutorial didn't really show me how to add from an MKV file, but it pointed me in the right direction. All I had to do was right click on the video file added to the project and select properties. There I found the subtitles but they were not set to copy. I changed the setting and I'm encoding right now. If that added them, then I'm golden and don't need any further software.

I'll post back with the results.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post

Yes it will. It's not the best or the fastest but perfectly fine.
    Back in the day when I was a Windows user, I purchased a tool called ProCoder by Canopus (I even have a $500 ADVC box made by them). Anyway, ProCoder was an awesome tool and produce excellent quality depending of course on settings. I'm looking for something similar in the MAC variety. It your opinion, what is the best and which is the fastest?

Thanks
    Quote Quote