VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried to search a solution and I don't want to pay if possible. The solutions I found so far are very complicated for me. Does anyone have a good method? My overall goal is to make it simple for my relatives to play on their computers / dvd players. I will burn it on a disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here you go. It's really, really easy. Follow the steps, and you'll have High Quality xvid AVIs in a matter of minutes.

1- Download Mts to Xvid VR2

mts_to_xvid_vr2.zip

2- Unzip, and drag your MTS or M2TS files into the same folder. Double click MTS_XVID_V2.bat to process

3 - Once it is done, you'll find the Xvid AVIs in the same folder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If You Want to Modify the Settings

Default Output:

848x480, video bitrate 4800k, mp3 audio 160k

Edit the batch file in notepad and modify these video parameters to your liking:

Audio:

To Deinterlace:

You must add -deinterlace as the first command after ffmpeg

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I followed your instructions and the avi files only have sound, but no picture. Do you have any idea why this can happen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Install either Xvid or DivX to play back the file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, ok thanks, but what I want to do is to edit it, convert it to .wmv and put it on the internet. Do you know how I´d do that then? Any way to do it simply using windows movie maker or would I need a better video editing program?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want easy, then you'll have to pay

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/VoltaicHD
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for this, $30 will not bankrupt me, so I´ll probably buy it
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought it and it works fine. Thirty bucks is not that much when you can buy a camera for $2000 to begin with. Props to you Soopafresh, you really are a guru on the subject.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is where i dont get it:

3- Unzip, and drag your MTS files into the same folder. Double click _multi_demux_mts_Xvid.bat to process

4 - Once it is done, you'll find the Xvid AVIs in the same folder
    [/quote]

why would i unzip my MTS files?its not zipped in the first place.and what do you mean by dragging them into the same folder?what folder?i can only drag them into the mts_2_xvid.rar table thing and thats it. im really frustrated with this thing.been trying for days.and you said that i should double click multi_demux_mts_Xvid.bat, well i did but i didnt find any AVIs in the same folder.in fact, nothing changed even after i double clicked that multi demux thing.whats wrong?!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe he means unzip mts_2_xvid.rar to a new folder, then drag (or copy or move) your mts files into that folder and run the bat file.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OMG IT WORKED!!!!THANK YOU SLINGER!!!!!THANXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the new (at least for me) solution Soopafresh! It's first result in Google in the moment (keywords "mts to avi"). This is much much faster than your other method I used till now. Is this one the best video quality/time consuming method in the moment? Because I have 80 GB of .MTS files and would like to make them smaller for the archives.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the new (at least for me) solution Soopafresh! It's first result in Google in the moment (keywords "mts to avi").

The women have been flocking to me as a result of my newly found celebrity status

Is this one the best video quality/time consuming method in the moment?

Hard disk space is so cheap these days, you might want to consider just storing the original .MTS files on an external USB drive - the kind you can get from any electronics store. It all depends on how important the footage is. If it's family stuff, storing the originals on a hard drive will give you more options in the future as conversion technology gets better.

I like the output from the Vimeo script I put together. It makes 1280x720 h264 MP4 at 6000kbs. Not as fast as the Xvid script you've been using, but it might be worth the time. Try it out.

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1814962/avchd_convert__vimeo_v7.zip

You'll probably want to choose the _multi_demux_mts_HQ_Vimeo_PAL.bat script. If your camera is shooting progressive, then the _multi_demux_mts_HQ_Vimeo_25p_Source.bat script would be better. I'm assuming your camera records at 25fps since you're in Europe.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for the fast answer! Don't worry girls with cameras will love you!

The camera is HG10 from USA (it's much cheaper there) so I'll use the NTSC bat. Or is it better to use 30p_Source (I think this is the right choice since it records at 29.97 fps)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by direct
    Thanks again for the fast answer! Don't worry girls with cameras will love you!

The camera is HG10 from USA (it's much cheaper there) so I'll use the NTSC bat. Or is it better to use 30p_Source (I think this is the right choice since it records at 29.97 fps)?
    I'd try the NTSC script then.

Here's an example of the output

vimeo_hf100.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is my clip (NTSC bat). I'm very pleased with the result. Thanks again!

http://vimeo.com/1758036
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks very good. Vimeo converts everything to 24fps, so fast movement can look a little jumpy. It might be interesting if sometime you'd try record at the 24p setting on your camera and see if the results look even better. 24p might not work well with sports footage, however. Who knows? Experiment!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New problem. It seems impossible to edit the mp4 files. I tried WMM and SV8 with no result. I just would like to unite the files without loosing the quality.

Edit: SV8 says "The file is most likely corrupted or of an unknown format" and QuickTime says "an invalid sample description was found in the movie".
    Quote Quote  
  19. *bump*

Not to hijack this thread, but I've been having a related issue. I need a readily readable .avi-based format like Xvid for editing purposes, going from the original .MST file. I made some modifications to the Xvid .bat file I came up with this:

del *.avc
    del *.dga
    del *.ac3
    del *.wav
    del *.avs
    del *.log

for %%a in ("*.mts") do xport -h "%%a" 1 1 1 && ren bits0001.mpa "%%~na.ac3" && ren bits0001.mpv "%%~na.avc"

for %%b in ("*.avc") do DGAVCIndex -i "%%b" -o "%%~nb.dga" -e

for %%c in ("*.ac3") do azid "%%c" "%%~nc.wav"

for %%a in ("*.dga") do @echo loadplugin("dgavcdecode.dll") > "%%~na.avs"
    for %%a in ("*.dga") do @echo loadplugin("audiolimiter.dll") >> "%%~na.avs"
    for %%a in ("*.dga") do @echo video=AVCSource("%%a",deblock=false) >> "%%~na.avs"
    for %%a in ("*.dga") do @echo audio=wavsource("%%~na.wav").convertaudiotofloat() .normalize(0.95).wavgainlimiter(1.5) >> "%%~na.avs"
    for %%a in ("*.dga") do @echo audiodub(video,audio) >> "%%~na.avs"

del *.log

for %%a in ("*.avs") do ffmpeg.exe -i "%%a" -threads auto -vcodec xvid -s 1920x1080 -maxrate 20000k -b 19500k -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -acodec mp3 -ar 48000 -ab 160k -ac 2 -y "%%~na_xvid.avi"

del *.avc
    del *.dga
    del *.ac3
    del *.wav
    del *.avs
    del *.log
    It works but the result is rather smudgy during any movement. The blacks are washed out as well.

I don't even need the compression, I have plenty of file space, I just need a clear picture with as little in the way of compression artifacts as possible. I'm not very familiar with the format of this scripting. I'm shooting at 1920 x 1080 and 24p at the moment. Any ideas? Thanks,

-Sméagol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "smudgy during any movement" means you're not deinterlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Err...how do I fix that? I'm not very familiar with this kind of scripting. Also, if this clears anything up, I'm not just getting a double image, some frames have three or four "ghosted" frames. I don't see any of the obvious interlaced lines like the left part of this picture, either. To me it looks more like messy compression artifacts. Thanks,

-Sméagol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To deinterlace, add this to your ffmpeg command

for %%a in ("*.avs") do ffmpeg.exe -deinterlace -i "%%a" -threads auto -vcodec xvid -s 1920x1080 -maxrate 20000k -b 19500k -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -acodec mp3 -ar 48000 -ab 160k -ac 2 -y "%%~na_xvid.avi"

Make sure it's right after the ffmpeg.exe. It has to be the first switch in the settings.

If you want some real help, post around 10 seconds of your .MTS file up on one of the file sharing services, like

http://www.mediafire.com/

I'm suspecting that you might need to Inverse Telecine and/or decimate to pull the 24p video out of the 60i stream. Upload that .MTS file and I can tell you for sure.
    Quote Quote  
  23. OK thanks, I just tried that but it still looks very smeared during movement.

edit: Ok, I'll upload some footage when I get a chance. I'm shooting at 24 fps, btw.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Sorry for the double post.

Here is the .MTS file. It's not a great demonstration of what I'm talking about but the ghosting effect is visible. On a strange side note, I noticed after capturing this that the footage looks similar when viewed in its original format on the camera. This seems to only be an issue when I shoot in 24P digital cinema mode, but I have interlacing problems after converting the video from MTS at the standard 30 fps. I say it "seems" to be because the LCD screen on an HDC-SD9 is pretty small so I'm not totally sure that there is no ghosting at the standard 30. But I've done projects going to Final Cut on a Mac (at 30, not 24P) before and not had this problem.

-Sméagol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This stuff? That's a function of shooting in 24p and motion blur artifacts from AVCHD. You have to be really careful about fast moving things. Pans must be done slowly and carefully, count to at least 7 between the start and stop of the pan to reduce/avoid unwanted motion blur.

Discussion of AVCHD motion blur issues.
    http://www.simplydv.co.uk/simplyBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21062&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&view=print

Here's an example of too fast a pan (notice the strobing) http://www.macgregor.autoecstasy.com/redlab/contenido/curso/paneo2.mpg

You can clean up the graininess, but the "trails" are a combination of 24p filming and AVCHD.

00003.avi

Quote Quote  
  26. Yeah, that's the problem I was talking about. It's bad enough that the mouth of a person talking looks like sort of a blurry moving dark area. It doesn't seem as bad at 30P, however. (At least I'm assuming it is 30P, it really doesn't say on the camera and I don't have access to a manual for the camera.) Is there a way I could convert the .MTS to some kind of high-quality AVI and maintain the original framerate? Right now when I run that video through the script I get lots of blocky artifacts over anything that moves.

Like that.

Thanks for the help,

-Sméagol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That particular problem is most likely due to the way libavcodec is decoding that particular camera brand's MTS file. PITA, isn't it? Looks like this (right window). (click on image a few times to see full size)

You can try this batch file instead, it uses directshowsource to decode the file.

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1892916/directshowsource_848x480.zip

Edit the batch to reflect the output size you desire. Load the .AVS file it creates into VirtualDub and save with Xvid or Huffyuv codec compression.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried it, it still looks blocky, though.

I have access to a Mac with Final Cut, which imports the video fine, I just need a way to get from that to AVI files that I can use on my PC. I have a Mac formatted portable drive and a PC-formatted portable drive but given that a PC can't read a Mac formatted drive this doesn't help me much in transferring large quantities of video.

Thanks,

-Sméagol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your format that drive on your PC with Fat32, your Macintosh should be able to write to it, as long as the files you copy to it aren't larger than 4GB. You can also install an application on your PC called MacDrive, which will allow you to read and write to Mac formatted drives.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Yeah, the 4 GB issue was what kept me from wanting to that as I need to store some very large files on the drive. Thanks for the suggestion though. I might try to see if I can create a Fat 32 partition to one of the drives, that would allow me to work around this, I think.
    Quote Quote