VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Today i tried burning avi files to a bluray which isnt working on the bluray player.

There about 3 mini dv im using (family video content) which i would love to have on just one disc with good quality. with as less compression, or no compression, as possible.

As this cant all fit on one DVD without compressing, i thought about putting this on a Bluray disc of 25 GB.

Now i used ulead to create the bluray files, and nero to burn it on the bluray disc.

Once it got burned on the disc, i tried playing the disc, but nothing happened. It just didnt work.

IS there something im doing wrong?

Instead of creating bluray files, do i need to create dvd files (vob) and then burn it on bluray as it got more space, would that work?

If this is a problem. How would it work if i got half hd footage and half dv footage, and wanted it to play on bluray?

Thanks in advance

Ali
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by blu-ray files? A blu-ray file/folder structure should look like https://www.videohelp.com/hd#filestruct
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The bluray files I made is exactly how it supposed to be, even on the link when i checked it. Thats why im confused why it isnt working.

MY only guess is because my files are in AVI not hd, and than i made a bluray folder, files and burned it on a bluray disc,

Is my assumption correct?

Thanks

ALi
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your source shouldn't matter. Ulead should convert it to a compliant blu-ray.

But I would try burn the BDMV folder with Imgburn instead of Nero, see http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=9512 .

And remember that some blu-ray players just don't support bd-r media.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi mate,

your a star,

It worked.

I tried it with nero twice and both times it didnt work on the bluray.

I now tried it with Imgburn and it worked!

Im very happy, thank you very much.

Ali
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Great!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I am also trying to put my PAL mini-DV tapes and PAL AVCHD footage to Blu-ray. I just bought a Pioneer DBR 207DBK bluray burner to do this job with some JVC LTH discs which are cheaper.

While i am reading and gathering info, i have some questions:

1. Before i had some Hi8 tapes. I passed them through my mini DV cam and exported them as 720x576 PAL avi's to get them digitalized. Besides these footages i also have some real DV footage.

Can i export these Hi8 converted mini-DV and real DV footage to bluray or am i better off as DVD?

2. Some of the old Hi8 footage had color distortion on the sides, but this did not show on the old tube tv's. Now with LED HD Tv's it will show.
    I used Premiere Pro CS6 to crop 4 pixels out of all 4 borders to get rid of this color distortion. Now when i export, should i export it with black borders or zoom in to it to make the resolution 720x576 again? What is your advice? Will this cause black borders on a HD tv or decrease quality?

3. Now i have an AVCHD videocamera with some HD shot footage shot in 1440x1080 (1.333 anamorphic i think). What is the best bluray encoder for exporting to bluray in CS6? I have read that the Media Encoder isn't that good and X264 Pro and Cinemacraft HD Encoder seems to be better. Which one is the best?

4. What should my export settings be for Bluray? Profile 4.1 and variable bit rate with max 25mb? I will go for Dolby Digital sound 5.1, 400+kbps for the AVCHD footage and stereo 192kbps for my old Hi8/DV footage (if DVD).

5. After cutting/editing i would like to export a master AVCHD footage. What are the best settings for H264? And best settings for the mini-DV avi?

6. Since i am using LTH bluray discs...can these be played in the standard consumer bluray players?

7. My last question...should i do color correction? Some Hi8 footage are shot in a way too exposed area (too much sunlight)...i don't think i can get any details out of it anymore. What is your suggestion?

I hope someone can give me some info/advice about this.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by DvdRookie; 12th Aug 2012 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1- since dv is 720x576 the same as dvd that is what you should go for. doesn't make any sense to re-encode to 1920x1080, as the source quality won't be that good anyway and the extra encoding will make it look worse.

2- either way will make no visible difference

3- haha if you have $75,000 for a cce hde system by all means go for the best.

4- fine

5- just stick with 4, and retain the source files

6- some, but not all. why go a couple pennies cheaper? good regular bdr is only about $1/disc

7- overexposed footage doesn't have much detail you can recover, play with it yourself and see. make it look however you like.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    3- haha if you have $75,000 for a cce hde system by all means go for the best.
    Eons ago, I d/l cce-basic for just over $50 from visible light (which is where cce site directed me to) and was very happy with it. I still use it now for DVD. I can see that they probably have something along the same lines for h264 with CCE-HD lite, but my e-mail inquiries were never answered. Which is just as well since x264 is here; if x264 is good enough for commercial blu-ray discs, it's good enough for me.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote