VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I hope someone can help.

Now that we are in the age of DVD and most no longer use VCR, I would like to copy my own (bought and purchased by me) video tapes to DVD.

I can copy most tapes to my standalone DVD Recorder, but certain ones are copy protected. I don't mean the plastic tab on the side, I mean they wont copy and a dialogue box appears on the TV explaining that the tape is copy ptotected.

Is there a way I can get around this as I would like to make all my VCR collection into DVDs.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by TimBooth4Eva
    I don't mean the plastic tab on the side, I mean they wont copy and a dialogue box appears on the TV explaining that the tape is copy ptotected.
    Wait a minute, and after that what happens? The VCR stops or what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Errr, did it a couple of hours ago...

I believe the video just stops. When I checked the video recorder it has recorded 5 secs, literally. Did it a few times and it just records 5 secs then stops.

Thanx for replying.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look for TBC (Time Base Corrector) and/or Macrovision.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx Mats, but what do you mean, look for them??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What he means is(in a nice way):
    This has been discussed here at least a thousand times....do a search for VHS Copy Protect(ed, ion) and you will see hundreds of different suggestions by hundreds of different people.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You need to get a full frame time base corrector, or an anti-copy protection device made for this purpose (Sima makes several of them).

Google: Datavideo TBC-1000

Google: AVT-8710

Google: Sima GoDVD!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if this has been mentioned here before but here goes.

The one time that I had an issue like this I solved it by running the composite video signal through my pc capture card and pinnacle 8 (I have 9 now, haven't tried this in a couple of years) and it removed the macro, and I could also tweak the contrast, brightness, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you're just trying to back-up your copy protected VHS tapes, this device has helped me for many years with copying VHS to VHS and now VHS to DVD recorder...

http://site.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&product%5Fid=80%2D4280

...but it does not work from DVD to DVD recorder.

It sufficiently masks the Macrovision signal so that the recording device does not see it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gshelley61, thanx, just looked them up, some are pretty expensive to convert a few videos, with no guarantee of it working!

axlish, thanx, but I'm trying to convert using my standalone DVD recorder. I dont have a capture card.

RowMan, thanx, are you talking about the DIGITAL VIDEO STABILIZER TELEVISON VCR at aroung USD 20?

Thanx again all for replying.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Search on the Internet as well. I recall seeing someone claim they built something that defeated Macrovision AND enhanced picture quality for less than $10.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by TimBooth4Eva
    ...RowMan, thanx, are you talking about the DIGITAL VIDEO STABILIZER TELEVISON VCR at aroung USD 20?...
    Yeah. That's it. It's sort of named strangely by this distributor, but the little box hasn't let me down yet.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Up at the top of the page is a little empty box with the word "search" beside it. Click on the box and type the word "Macrovision". No quotes.

This is how you look for things, particularly things which have been discussed and answered BILLIONS and BILLIONS of times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any particular device you can remember kschang?

Rowman, the device you use(d) doesn't mention DVD transfer on that site but I take it, it worked for you?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by TimBooth4Eva
    ...Rowman, the device you use(d) doesn't mention DVD transfer on that site but I take it, it worked for you?
    If by "DVD transfer" you mean Macrovision protected VHS transferred to DVD recorder, yes, it works for me. If you mean protected DVD transferred to DVD recorder, no, it won't do that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry mate, yes I meant a copy protected VHS tape transfered to my standalone DVD recorder
    Quote Quote  
  17. TimBooth4Eva,

I just noticed you're posting from the UK. I'm from NTSC-land so I can't tell you if this particular device will work on PAL. Sorry 'bout that.

Check out the Clarifier Classic at www.facetvideo.com . I have friends that have it and it works well for them. The Facet Video site specifically says that their device works with PAL and it will also do DVD to DVD recorder if you should need that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah right Rowman. Wonder if it would make any difference (that is if I can get my hands on one anyway).

In the absence of anything else in the price range, if I can get one shipped from your side of the water, I might as well give it a go!
    Quote Quote  
  19. The PAL version of the AVT-8710 is the CTB-100

The Sima SCC-2 can handle NTSC, PAL and SECAM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think this will help the OP but...

Many (most?) Lite-on DVD recorders can be hacked to ignore macrovision.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only have a handful of protected tapes to convert so I was looking for the cheapest option really. Most of the hardware you guys recommend is quite expensive for the little use I will get out of it.

Same goes for buying another DVD recorder which 'over-rides' the protection.

Thanx anyway
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bob, that looks a good piece of kit, I'll have to email the company to get total costs for shipping to the UK, cheers.

Don't suppose you've seen any cheaper, as I say, it's only to do a handful of tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by TimBooth4Eva
    Bob, that looks a good piece of kit, I'll have to email the company to get total costs for shipping to the UK, cheers.

Don't suppose you've seen any cheaper, as I say, it's only to do a handful of tapes.
    There are cheaper gadgets so do a search on eBay for "video stabilizer" and see what comes up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've read on another forum about secret menus etc and being able to turn off macrovision.

Is that a thing of the past, like on older DVD machines, or will there be a secret menu somewhere on each player/recorder?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimBooth4Eva
    will there be a secret menu somewhere on each player/recorder?
    On most - More common on the "smaller" brands, it seems.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mats. I know I'm a pain, but do u have any idea where I would start to look for something like that on the net? Any other forums etc for instance?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TimBooth4Eva, You should always do a search for previous posts on your subject. But, here is how I do what you want to do.
    VHS PLAYBACK -> HOME THEATHER (Large screen TV) -> TV MONITOR OUT -> DVD RECRDER OR CAPTURE CARD. Worked on over 100 commerical VHS tapes.
    Quote Quote