VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ok, so basically, i have a VIDEO_TS folder and i have demuxed it. I have the audio and the movie demuxed fine. Now, i genrated the subs as .sup for both LB and WIDE. I have tried EVERYTHING to get this to work. I MEAN EVERYTHING. Im working on two computers even. Im trying on windows and mac. Nothing. The only thing close is using muxman and the subs show up with a blue screen and red text at the bottom. Also, they are now at a major delay. It's fine at the beginning, but at the end its bad. I also tried ffmpegx for mac and that came out fine except the picture was squished and it was choppy and almost unviewable. Can someone PLEASE HELP. I want to smash my freakin head through the wall. I have masted hours on this figgen .ass file. I can even torrent the file to someone and ask them to mux it and send it back. I'm at that point right now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How about the most obvious: Authoring software that supports subs?
    (I probably use DVD Architect most).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Isn't that for making a DVD from scratch though? I have a VIDEO_TS folder of a japanese movie i own. I made a .ass subtitle file so i could mux them to make a custom dvd wit subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Effectively, you are making a dvd from scratch.

Your subs(and your video and audio) MUST be muxed back in to the vobs and the fool-proof way to do that is to use dvd-authoring s/w.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by mikegnyc96 View Post
    I made a .ass subtitle file so i could mux them to make a custom dvd wit subs.
    Originally Posted by mikegnyc96 View Post
    Now, i genrated the subs as .sup for both LB and WIDE.
    I don't understand. Did you make the ASS file first and somehow convert it to SUP? And the ASS subs are in synch? How'd you make the ASS subs and how did you do the timings? How did you convert to SUP?

How'd you decrypt the DVD to begin with. How'd you demux?

The Muxman problem is minor (the colors anyway) and can be easily fixed in DVDSubEdit. Is this NTSC or PAL? Probably NTSC. The subs that start off fine and get progressively worse as it goes along - about how long is the movie and how much are they off by the end. I'm trying to figure out if this is a framerate problem. It probably is. Did you use MaestroSBT for the SUP generation? If you don't know what you're doing it's easy to get progressively out-of-synch subs when using it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by mikegnyc96 View Post
    The only thing close is using muxman and the subs show up with a blue screen and red text at the bottom.
    Is that when you preview in Muxman or when you watch the resulting DVD? It's normal for the colors to be off in hte preview.

Also, they are now at a major delay. It's fine at the beginning, but at the end its bad.
    How did you come up with the sub times? I've noticed many DVD's that list a bunch of times for blank subs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Is that when you preview in Muxman or when you watch the resulting DVD?
    There's a preview? In the free version? Or is the preview in another authoring program that uses Muxman?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I made a .ass subtitle file so i could mux them to make a custom dvd wit subs.
    Now, i genrated the subs as .sup for both LB and WIDE.
    I don't understand. Did you make the ASS file first and somehow convert it to SUP? And the ASS subs are in synch? How'd you make the ASS subs and how did you do the timings? How did you convert to SUP?

How'd you decrypt the DVD to begin with. How'd you demux?

The Muxman problem is minor (the colors anyway) and can be easily fixed in DVDSubEdit. Is this NTSC or PAL? Probably NTSC. The subs that start off fine and get progressively worse as it goes along - about how long is the movie and how much are they off by the end. I'm trying to figure out if this is a framerate problem. It probably is. Did you use MaestroSBT for the SUP generation? If you don't know what you're doing it's easy to get progressively out-of-synch subs when using it.
    I did use maestroSBT for the SUP gens, and the Frames are standard NTSC (29). To sub the dvd, I just used handbrake to rip the dvd in a LQ video and made the subs in Aegisubs. I can open the dvd in VLC and add the .ass track and its in sync perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    The only thing close is using muxman and the subs show up with a blue screen and red text at the bottom.
    Is that when you preview in Muxman or when you watch the resulting DVD? It's normal for the colors to be off in hte preview.

Also, they are now at a major delay. It's fine at the beginning, but at the end its bad.
    How did you come up with the sub times? I've noticed many DVD's that list a bunch of times for blank subs.
    It is in the muxed version that i see it. I made the subs myself, and timed it myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't want the final effort as a DVD then you could always put the video and the subs you made into a MKV container using mkvmergegui.

ASS should be okay but you may have to convert the subs into SRT format as not all standalone HDD and network media players support MKV with subs other than SRT or ASS format
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by mikegnyc96 View Post
    I did use maestroSBT for the SUP gens, and the Frames are standard NTSC (29). To sub the dvd, I just used handbrake to rip the dvd in a LQ video and made the subs in Aegisubs.
    First, MaestroSBT doesn't accept ASS subtitles as input, but maybe you converted them to SSA.

Second, MaestroSBT doesn't make SUP files, but maybe you created SST subtitles for Muxman or converted to SUP using something else.

Third, you didn't answer the question about how far off the subs were by the end. I'll take a wild guess and say a few seconds. If so, you should have checked the 'drop frame' box in the Timing section, along with 29.97 both in and out.

We don't ask questions just to admire what we've written. We're trying to help and it's your job to make that as easy as possible.

If remuxing with Muxman fixes the timing problem, the next step is to get your 'final' colors and opacities in DVDSubEdit. Ask if you have any more problems.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I did use maestroSBT for the SUP gens, and the Frames are standard NTSC (29). To sub the dvd, I just used handbrake to rip the dvd in a LQ video and made the subs in Aegisubs.
    First, MaestroSBT doesn't accept ASS subtitles as input, but maybe you converted them to SSA.

Second, MaestroSBT doesn't make SUP files, but maybe you created SST subtitles for Muxman or converted to SUP using something else.

Third, you didn't answer the question about how far off the subs were by the end. I'll take a wild guess and say a few seconds. If so, you should have checked the 'drop frame' box in the Timing section, along with 29.97 both in and out.

We don't ask questions just to admire what we've written. We're trying to help and it's your job to make that as easy as possible.

If remuxing with Muxman fixes the timing problem, the next step is to get your 'final' colors and opacities in DVDSubEdit. Ask if you have any more problems.

Sorry, the subs where off about 3-5 seconds. Oh, and i did set the timing to 29.97 in and out.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by mikegnyc96 View Post
    Sorry, the subs where off about 3-5 seconds. Oh, and i did set the timing to 29.97 in and out.
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    ...you should have checked the 'drop frame' box in the Timing section, along with 29.97 both in and out.
    Do you have trouble both reading and writing?

If it's a drop frame problem, by the end of a 2 hour movie they'll be off by about 7 seconds. If an hour and a half, then a little over 5 seconds
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    There's a preview? In the free version? Or is the preview in another authoring program that uses Muxman?
    Sorry, pro version, you get to see what your subs look like and make adjustments too.
    Quote Quote