VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I crop the black borders from my video and then deinterlace with qtgmc to mp4 4:3 aspect ratio. I have been using lanczos4resize everytime i do this just wondering should i be using something different here is some info on a file i was about to do i also so this with 16:9 videos from time to time should i be using a different filter for that

Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile : OpenDML
    File size : 4.00 GiB
    Duration : 18mn 25s
    Overall bit rate : 31.1 Mbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : JPEG
    Codec ID : MJPG
    Bit rate : 29.8 Mbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 3:2
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.876
    Stream size : 3.84 GiB (96%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 411.2 Kbps
    Channel count : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 186 MiB (5%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 999 ms (29.98 video
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your source video is already sharp either may result in oversharpening halos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If your source video is already sharp either may result in oversharpening halos.

I did use a sharpen filter so it is sharp i just hate the black lines so i crop them out all the time. What should i do not crop at all ,turn of the filter or something else
    Quote Quote  
  4. Cropping away letterbox or pillarbox bars has nothing to do with whether you want to sharpen or not. (Although, if you sharpen an image with black bars you can get halos at the junction of the picture and the bars.) If you're explicitly sharpening your videos, AND using a sharpening resize filter, I suspect you're oversharpening. That can look ok when viewing a small image but it becomes annoying when watched on a big screen.

Here's an example of oversharpening halos from a VHS deck:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/361379-VCR-Hi8-capture-tests-help-evaluate?p=229264...=1#post2292646

A small, slightly oversharpened image:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sharp.png
Views:	1212
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	22664

A small section of that imaged enlarged 8x with a point resize so you can see each pixel (each 8x8 block is one pixel in the original image):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8x.png
Views:	1313
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	22665

Notice how there's a bright band around all the dark lines. And how there's a bright band and a dark band at the shaded edge in the eye. A TV wouldn't use a point resize, of course. But it would probably use a bicubic or sharper filter. That would further exacerbate the halos.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Jan 2014 at 19:47.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yea i have been totally oversharpening my videos i use the sharpen filter in dscaler and with qtgmc i put sharpen to 1.0 i also use s-video input so it was total overkill. Im going to have lot of settings to mess with.
    Quote Quote