VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all i have been trying everything but with no luck does someone have an answer please apart from the obvious (new amp)

i have been tryng some movies that have DTS audio 786 and even though my 3-4 year old amp has an option for DTS for some reason i get no sound.
    i wouldnt think its the PS3 that i am using.
    thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how is your audio fed into the amp? dts would need optical or coax input.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use a optical cable which i think is the best of what it has, also has coaxial.
    the book says that all digital inputs are compatable with 96khz sampling digital signals.

Yamaha RX-v650 7.1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is there a setup menu to select how the ps3 sends out the audio? line/hdmi/optical/coax?

optical and coax send the same signal, no difference in quality.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes on the PS3 i have the optical out set to linear pcm, the hdmi as well but only using that for picture.
    i tried changing it to bitstream but didnt make any difference, no sound with DTS.
    cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has to be bitsream through the optical. If you install the latest PS3 firmware you can also send linear PCM through the HDMI at the same time. I don't have my PS3 here at work (shame) so I cannot check, but you may have to also tick DTS as a valid stream to send. I know I have no issues with DTS through an optical out to my aging amplifier. It even handles DTS from Bluray discs without missing a beat.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    changed to bitstream and selected all inputs DD & DTS still no go.
    reset the amp as well but made no difference,
    would it make any difference that i am using a usb thumb drive instead of a disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also have latest update on PS3.
    so annoying, yet the DTS audio is fine on my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Start verifying individual components.

You set to Linear PCM and got no sound at all? This would indicate a problem with either the optical out, the cable, the optical in on the amp. That should be plain stereo, verify this on the PS3. If possible, plug the same cable into another output device with simple stereo PCM out to the amp.

USB stick may have limitations. Use a disk for source. Groove into the concept of the Known Good, start simple and introduce single complications step by step.

I have a similar amp, it has to be set to use the digital in. Often if setting is auto I have to rotate to another input and then come back to the digital port, also the volume cand be dramatically different from other inputs.

Simplify the problem, remove DTS from the equation and verify the optical ports, cable, and input settings first.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @Bazza-61 - despite your belief that the PS3 could not possibly be misbehaving, a web search by me found that lots of people have DTS issues with it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-884362.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-media-streaming/1038318-ps3-dts-playback.html

That 2nd link says that the PS3 only supports DTS on "optical discs" which means CDs and DVDs. I can't even promise you that DTS will work if you burn your files to disc, but you could try it.

Nelson37 gave you some good trouble shooting advice. I would suggest that you remember those suggestions for the future.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys you have all been a great help, the sound works with other audio just not DTS so the cables are ok.
    ill check out the problems that othe PS3 owners have had.

cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DTS didnt work on disc either.
    Quote Quote