VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been converting an educational VHS collection to DVD (firewire->iuvcr (pic vid mjpeg v3)->procoder2->dvdlab) and have not been happy with the audio quality of the originals (majority of which is dialogue)....

I'm looking for software that I could clean out some "buzz" and enhance the quality a bit on a budget. I don't see any need for a full blown professional grade audio prog.... just something to clean it up before incoding...

Any suggestions? TY
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gold Wave. Fully functional and if you like it, buy it. 'Nuff said!
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Audacity, it is freeware. Haven't used it for cleaning audio, but I know there are various plugin filters for it.

-Suntan
    Quote Quote  
  4. if the audio track can be isolated, cooledit is great
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The cheapest yet still very capable solution would be GoldWave.

SoundForge is great but a bit on the expensive side of things.

However I guess I am the only one that caught a problem with your setup.

You don't want to go FIREWIRE to iuVCR

If you really are to "capture" via FIREWIRE then you are "capturing" DV AVI be it from a device such as the popular Canopus ADVC-100 or through a digital camcorder (using the analog pass-through feature).

So if you are doing DV AVI you want to "capture" it that way and I have put that word in quotes three times now because a DV AVI "capture" is really just a digital transfer of digital data.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by upshot
    I'm looking for software that I could clean out some "buzz" and enhance the quality a bit on a budget.
    Are we talking buzz as in a 'hum' type buzz? If so, you may have a ground loop issue. I've known people that went to extreme measures to reduce hum/buzz in their audio when all they needed was a ground loop isolator on the audio lines. ($10-$15 at Radio Shack) Of course if this isn't the problem it won't help you, but if it is the result can be quite good after installation.

The same can apply to video signals. Often some artifacts aren't on the tape at all but are actually introduced when interconnecting components. That's why I also use a video isolator on my inputs to prevent any interference whatsoever. (these are more expensive though - about $100)

Regards,

Savant
    Quote Quote