VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I ripped a DVD & there seems to be a bunch of weird dots going in & out on the video. Is there anyway 2 fix this ? Or is the DVD dirty / unrippable ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are the dots visible when played on a normal DVD player ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nope just seems 2 be a PC thing as far as I can tell & Its not every video either
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    What do the dots look like? Do they move, come and go, change color, or what? Can you post an image?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TheRandomOne View Post
    I ripped a DVD
    "Ripped" meaning what exactly?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I put DVD in DVD Drive. Used SmartRipper & used that 2 rip what I wanted 2 rip & the dots are just small little things that as watching they keep disappearing & re appearing
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I put DVD in DVD Drive. Used SmartRipper & used that 2 rip what I wanted 2 rip & the dots are just small little things that as watching they keep disappearing & re appearing
    Did you end up with a VIDEO_TS folder that is the exact, same size as the DVD.....or did you end up with some sort of xvid/divx/avi file that is much smaller in size(compared to the DVD)?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I put DVD in DVD Drive. Used SmartRipper & used that 2 rip what I wanted 2 rip & the dots are just small little things that as watching they keep disappearing & re appearing
    Did you end up with a VIDEO_TS folder that is the exact, same size as the DVD.....or did you end up with some sort of xvid/divx/avi file that is much smaller in size(compared to the DVD)?
    Same question. Decrypters have come a long way since 2001, and DVD encryption has changed since then. Again, same question: was this just a rip (a direct, decrypted copy from disc to hard drive, no re-encoding to other formats)? Is your copy MPEG2 or some other codec -- in which case it wouldn't be a rip, it would be a rip + re-encoding.

Would still need a sample of some kind, either an image or a video sample.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well whats a more modern ripper & I will try one out & compare
    Quote Quote  
  10. anydvd, dvdfab are more recent and up to date
    Quote Quote  
  11. So would there be a quality difference if I just ripped the whole DVD & then merge the needed VOBs ? I just want specific parts of specific DVDs. Thats why I use a program like SmartRipper etc. But would there be a quality difference just ripping the whole thing with a program like AnyDVD ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by TheRandomOne View Post
    So would there be a quality difference if I just ripped the whole DVD & then merge the needed VOBs ? I just want specific parts of specific DVDs. Thats why I use a program like SmartRipper etc. But would there be a quality difference just ripping the whole thing with a program like AnyDVD ?

If you've ripped it correctly, it should be bit for bit identical no matter what software you use. A rip is a 1:1 copy . It won't matter if you rip a section or whole DVD (if your edit in/out points are on keyframes)

But the fact that you see no "dots" on a regular DVD player means your physical DVD is fine. It suggests either a decrypting/ripping problem, or a software playback / configuration problem. If it only happens on certain DVD rips, then that suggests a decrypting/ripping problem

AnyDVD runs in the background, so you can use it with DVD shrink (without compression), or any software to extract a section - you don't need to rip the entire DVD

Maybe if you post a screenshot or sample , or better description of what "weird dots" are, it might provide some better clues
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 4th Oct 2014 at 10:46.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!