VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've mentioned my old Toshiba with the 4:3 screen that I like for writing 'cause in technical terms it's taller. It's dual boot Vista/Mint.

Well, that little reminder popped up and said there were updates to be had, and sure enough there were 20 of'em; but most were like 72K with only a few running into the multiple megs.

Well, I looked at them and they were all security-related so I gave the go ahead. A couple hours later, it still said '0% Downloaded'.

So I canceled out and tried again, same deal, so I went into the list and de-selected any updates that were over a meg. I had like 8 updates that amounted to 3 megs or so. Another hour and zip downloaded. (Yes, I checked and when using the browser my net connection was actually better than usual.

So, what gives? Is M$'s server so busy they can't deliver a few updates, after annoying me by telling me to get them?
    I had an email from them that they were chopping OneDrive free storage way down too, but that was a while back.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Years ago, communications with MS servers were very fast. Not so these days. I guess it's a money/bandwidth saving strategy.

I notice with my W10 laptop that updates take quite a while to download. And they slow the LT down quite a bit.
    I wonder how businesses deal with these slow updates when they are trying to work?

If you are running an OS older than W7, I would probably just skip those security updates.
    MS Defender and MS Firewall never did much anyway, IMO.

And if they (MS) haven't fixed the security problems by now with older OS's, there's not much hope that they will in the future.

I just turn off the updates and use a external updated malware program and a external updated firewall instead with my older OS's. No MS updates.
    Last edited by redwudz; 22nd May 2016 at 20:40. Reason: Clarify :)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There was a rumor that the older OS's had their WU priority reduced to give higher bandwidth to Windows 10 related stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's a common problem recently. just let it run until they download and install. eventually it will happen.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Windows Update isn't super reliable. I'd just try it again in a day or so.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had this same problem like OP. With 20 updates or so it just wouldn't download at all. I tried installing a smaller number of updates, like 5 or 6 at a time. That worked for me. It certainly was a PITA but probably faster than waiting for 20 updates to eventually download.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote