VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had received a video DVD that I was asked to post to our internal media server for internal streaming. So I was curious whether there was a tool that could produce a mpg file(s) from the DVD's VOB files that I could then run through Windows Media Encoder and stream internally. The product was internally developed but I don't know the authors or the tools used to produce it or else I'd go get the source.

So I downloaded VOB2MPG and ran the DVD through the product.. Everything ran successfully but when I tried to play the mpg files using our default player, Windows media player 9.x all I got was the audio--no video--though the size of the original VOB files and the MPG files are about the same. Ran the mpg files through VideoREdo but it was unchanged for my player though the video appeared fine in VideoREdo. I tried playing the mpg files through a Quicktime player, same issue.

What stupid issue am I failing to consider? is it a lack of compatible codecs for the VOB2MPG tool? I feel like I should know what I'm missing so I'll play the stooge. Thanks anyone
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the deal with MPC on the mpg?
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for but if I run Windows Media Player 6.4 instead of 9.0 I get the following error and nothing runs:

"unable to download an appropriate decompressor" Error 80040200

The properties on the mpg file created using vob2mpg state that the file does not have any video. So what options should I have passed to get the video along with the audio? or is it a hobbled win media player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What about Media Player Classic?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd have to install another copy of the player to do that....but in the long run it won't gain me much if our users must be able to access the streaming version, which they'd be doing using the latest WMedia Player, 9.0 right now. I guess what I'm saying is that I need to get the video and audio into a mpg file(s) that I can encode using WinMedia Encoder so that our clients can view the stream using WM9--the classic version is not a client option.

If you suggest I install MPC so that you can determine some properties to help me troubleshoot, I'll do that and send you any different results from the above.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Its just that MPC doesn't use any special codecs to play mpeg 2 video (which is what you have). Out of the box WMP9 doesn't play mpeg 2 video... you need a codec that does. If you install avicodec or gspot they will tell you if the mpeg has video or not (and of what type) without having to install addiotional players.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help.....I'm surprised (not surprised?) that WM9 doesn't have mpeg 2 video support --looks like I'd need to buy a commercial license from some plug-in vendor to get it to go as is......

Thanks for your help again.

PS--if I had a choice I'd do things differently....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well there are ways to get a mpeg2 codec on your PC.... Any DVD software will install one.. I think there are free codecs in the tools section too.
    Quote Quote