VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I've been using lower space settings on my discs, and for the most part there are no problems. However, one disc paused briefly in mid-line (very annoying), and I know not what the problem is. The player the problem shows on is the Toshiba SD-1300. I've been using TDK 4X discs with the manufacturer ID TTG01, which normally seem to get perfectly acceptable results. Following an earlier suggestion, I have been limiting my image file sizes to 4225 MB. I chose that number because it just seemed right to me.

So I guess the question at the moment is whether this issue is player-specific, media-specific, or whether it is something I am still doing wrong and haven't thought of. I am using DVDShrink 3.17 to make images and DVDDecrypter 3.210 to do burns.
    Quote Quote  
  2. No idea, just thought the subject line sounds like a good title for a film

No seriously, return ? This happened before and you've posted about it ? Where's the link to the previous post ?

Media specific ?

I've been using TDK 4X discs with the manufacturer ID TTG01, which normally seem to get perfectly acceptable results.
    If they normally work perfectly I doubt it's a media issue.

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I posted about it before about two weeks ago now, so I am not inclined to try and find it in all honesty. I was hoping maybe others had experienced the same problem and had found a solution.

I've never had any other problem with TDK discs, and they play back perfectly fine in my PC, so I am starting to wonder if it is a player issue. I have never trusted Toshiba since they started to dumb down to the lowest common denominator, and my sister's player is not exactly what I would call a beacon for faith in their product (it's an SD-1300).

I am really curious, as a matter of fact, as to whether it will be a good idea to get a DL burner before MoneyMas time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check with IFO Edit to make sure the Layer Break is being removed.

At the point that it skips, rewind it a few frames, to see if it skips in the exact same spot every time.

TDK TTG01 is not any better/worse than any other disc made in that same CMC plant. Yes, TTG01 and TDKG02 are made by CMC in Taiwan.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the layer change break is being removed from the original image. As the topic line implies, these pauses cannot be replicated simply by rewinding over them and playing the section of video once again. Hence intermittent.

As I have said, I suspect it is a player-specific issue, because I have followed previous instructions not to burn at 100% capacity, not to mention that they play back just fine in a DVD-ROM.

I am definitely thinking of going with a new player, but I will wait to see which ones are compatible with DL before I do.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would suspect it is a player/mdeia compatibility issue. Limiting the size of the image as you do will avoid problems with the outer edge of the discs where some media has problems. If the skip/pause does not happen very near the end of the movie and only on onde disc I would guess it is a slightly faulty disc. You could try re-burning that one movie or you could try a different media.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I will just say for the moment that reducing image sizes has taken care of most of the problems. I've found that 4225MB images seem to work just fine, but when they don't, the pauses usually occur early or midway through the film. While I haven't tested the SD-1250 nearly as much as the SD-1300, the latter seems to spit the dummy more often.

Unfortunately, my media choices are very limited where I am at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Nilfennasion

Unfortunately, my media choices are very limited where I am at the moment.
    Mail Order ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I can find a mail-order store with a decent choice in media and reasonable rates, I will happily use it. Of course, reliability is a factor, too.
    Quote Quote