VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using MainConcept, I converted an avi file to make a dvd. The video was fine, but there was no audio on the resulting mpg file. From poking around in the forums, I assume that what I need to do is separate the audio from the avi source file (demuxing), and then combine the separated audio with the mpg file (muxing). Is this correct?

There seems to be several tools that are capable of doing this. Is one better that the others? Simpler to use? Preferably freeware?

Here's a screenshot from GSpot, if needed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Quote Quote  
  2. most encoders will also convert the audio if you set it to do so. what version of mc are you using? might help to also identify the type of audio in the avi. use gspot or mediainfo.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using MainConcept v1.4.
    Apparently, I messed up when uploading the screenshot, so here's another try.

If you still don't see the screencapture, this is the audio info from GSpot:
    Codec: 0x055 MPEG-1 Layer 3
    Info: 44100Hz 96kb/s tot, Stereo
    and it says that the codec is installed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I assume that what I need to do is separate the audio from the avi source file (demuxing), and then combine the separated audio with the mpg file (muxing). Is this correct?
    Not exactly. You extract the audio from the AVI, yes. To do that use VDubMod or VDub, among other programs. Here are guides:

http://www.doom9.org/virtualdub_procedures.htm#extractmp3
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic280779.html

Both guides convert it to WAV audio. But as 44,100Hz is no good for DVD (it has to be 48,000Hz), you'll then have to convert it to 48,000Hz and you'll probably want to convert it to AC3 audio while you're at it. MP3 audio (what's in the AVI) is no good for DVD either. You can use Aften and one of its GUIs to make the AC3 audio, among other programs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono - extracting the audio with VDubMod did the trick. I didn't even have to convert the WAV file first. I loaded it into MainConcept as the audio source, and MainConcept did it for me. So, I'm closing out this thread. Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Quote