VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just want to know if which file format, the mp4 or avi, will give me the smallest file size. my essential goal is to rip the dvd to my harddrive. assuming the qualities are the same, which format will give me a smaller file size? i will encode using xvid. thanks much,
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer Xvid, though Nero's new AVI format may be a little better for compression. Xvid is free and fairly compatible with set top players and works fine for me. I have been using Fairuse Wizard to convert a ripped DVD to Xvid. Others like AutoGK. Or you can use VirtualDub or it's variants. The codec and it's settings is more important than the program that uses it.

The newest Divx codec also has some advantages, such as menus and multiple languages if you want those.

You will want to decide how small of a file you want and/or what quality you want for the finished file, no matter which format you choose.

Try a short encode, maybe 5 minutes with each and decide which you like and how big a file/quality you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CHeck out the codec shootout at doom9.org
    Quote Quote