VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to digitize VHS tapes. I used to do this with Windows Movie Maker when i was still using XP. Always worked fine and simple.
    But now in W7 nothing seems to really work. I've tried several programms..Windows Movie Maker gives an image, but in B/W with no sound.
    I've tried AVS Video Recorder. It works pretty okay, but sound and image are not synchronized. The sound comes first.
    Perhaps someone can tell my if I can solve that somehow?

So now I had my hopes set on VirtualVCR (people are still recommending it).
    But unfortunately when I open it, it immediately stops "VirtualVCR has stopped working, Windows is checking for a solution. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".
    What do I do?
    I'm a single Dutch woman, living alone, don't know much about computers.. can someone help me with this please?
    Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Blackcrowe312; 16th Jul 2014 at 16:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is your capture device ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an old Nokia VCR and my PC; Windows 7, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the forums, but you don't have to play the "I'm a single woman" card here. People here like to help and it's not necessary to say or pretend that you're a woman. In my opinion we get a lot of pretenders but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as your post seems to be something a woman would say.

Unfortunately all the information you have provided isn't really of much use and it doesn't answer the question you were asked. What device on your PC are you using to capture video? We need to know who made it and the model number to give you help. And you say you have Windows 7 (in the future don't say W7 - say Win 7 if you want to abbreviate in English) but is this 32 bit or 64 bit? It makes a difference. You have to connect the VCR to something on the PC so what exactly is this device you have the VCR connected to?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not a pretender.. I am a woman! Very much so! Why would a guy say something like that???
    A friend has tried to help me.. but he just got frustrated.
    Sorry, I'm Dutch.. I misunderstood the question. I'm using the Konig Audio/video grabber CMP-USBVG5.
    The PC I'm using is a 64 bit.

Sorry I offended you by writing W7. But obviously you know what I meant.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You'd be surprised. We get what I'm sure are guys here all the time who ask incredibly complicated questions that almost no woman would ever ask and they will use some woman's name as their login. For example, if some new person posts here asking about chroma in their captured video of some sporting match and uses all kinds of technical terms, it's probably not a woman. Probably not, but could be.

I'm not offended, I'm just trying to help you in advising you to avoid W7. Too many new users, including men, use all kinds of cute abbreviations they make up themselves and they just assume the whole world uses them too. Avoid abbreviations and acronyms here when possible as many of helpful users speak English as a second language. I work in IT for a living and we certainly don't use W7 to refer to Windows 7, although Win 7 is OK.

Your capture device is very unusual. I've never heard of it. Could be a 64 bit specific issue, but someone with experience with that device will have to help, if we even have such a person here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Blackcrowe312 View Post
    I'm not a pretender.. I am a woman! Very much so! Why would a guy say something like that???
    A friend has tried to help me.. but he just got frustrated.
    Sorry, I'm Dutch.. I misunderstood the question. I'm using the Konig Audio/video grabber CMP-USBVG5.
    The PC I'm using is a 64 bit.

Sorry I offended you by writing W7. But obviously you know what I meant.
    You are not the first to receive this treatment from jman98. For some reason he is unable to conceive of a woman coming to a forum like this one for help with a video-related problem.

The latest version of VirtualVCR was released in 2003. It probably won't run on a Windows 7 64-bit PC because it can't use 64-bit device drivers.

Your device looks similar to the cheap "EasyCap" devices most of us here are familiar with, although unlike the poor-quality generic versions, Konig does have Windows 7 drivers for the device available at its website.

You could try a different program. Virtualdub is free, although not as easy to use as VirtualVCR. Make sure that you download the 64-bit version. There is also AmaRecTV, but it too is more complicated than VirtualVCR.

If you are willing to pay for software, Magix Video Easy HD is not hard to use and works with many of the capture devices similar to yours. It has a free trial.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is very kind of you! Thank you!
    I installed Virtualdub already, but I thought it was purely for synchronization. Dont know why I thought that.
    I will look into that again.

I have the Win7 (learned that today) driver from that Konig device already installed.

As I wrote, the AVS Video Recorder gives a pretty good image, very clear, nice colours. But the sound is a second earlier than the image. ANy idea how that could be? Is my computer perhaps too slow?

I'm also gonna look into that AmRecTv and that paid software. If it's not too much, I think I should buy it. I've had enough stress from this.

But thank you for helping me. Glad you're not grumpy like jman98. He seems a bit frustrated.. ohoh.. offending again..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I wrote, the AVS Video Recorder gives a pretty good image, very clear, nice colours. But the sound is a second earlier than the image. ANy idea how that could be? Is my computer perhaps too slow?

I'm also gonna look into that AmRecTv and that paid software. If it's not too much, I think I should buy it. I've had enough stress from this.

But thank you for helping me. Glad you're not grumpy like jman98. He seems a bit frustrated.. ohoh.. offending again..
    I have never used AVS Video Recorder, but audio and video synchronization problems are very common when capturing video. If the audio and video synchronization is off by a constant amount throughout, it is probably not caused by your computer being to slow.

Take your time with the trial before you buy the Magix software, just in case it isn't truly what you want.

I have my grumpy moments too, but you caught me in a good mood today. LOL
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You are not the first to receive this treatment from jman98. For some reason he is unable to conceive of a woman coming to a forum like this one for help with a video-related problem.
    No, YOU missed my point. It's not at all what you claim. Yes, of course women can and do come here. But she IMMEDIATELY played the "Oh, I'm a helpless woman!" card. Why? Because she clearly assumed that her chances of getting help would go up if she did that rather than just being a person of either sex who needed help. Frankly, it's a bit insulting that she would just assume that nobody would help her without her doing it. And if you honestly believe that every "woman" who posts here is really a woman, well, that is an interesting hypothesis.

I'm not your enemy, dude,
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, you're definitely a woman. No doubt now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    No, YOU missed my point. It's not at all what you claim. Yes, of course women can and do come here. But she IMMEDIATELY played the "Oh, I'm a helpless woman!" card. Why? Because she clearly assumed that her chances of getting help would go up if she did that rather than just being a person of either sex who needed help. Frankly, it's a bit insulting that she would just assume that nobody would help her without her doing it. And if you honestly believe that every "woman" who posts here is really a woman, well, that is an interesting hypothesis.

I'm not your enemy, dude,
    At worst the OP was being a bit manipulative. So what.

You know there is an old joke, "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog". ...so what makes you think that all the people here that everyone thinks are guys really are male? LOL
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay.. so.. there's no solution to this sync problem?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay.. so.. there's no solution to this sync problem?
    If the synchronization is off by the same amount from the beginning to end, there are ways to fix it. Looking at some posts here at VideoHelp, the Shift function in AviDemux, has been recommended to correct the audio. See: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/347715-Looking-for-Video-Tool-Converter-Splitter-th...=1#post2174692 (AviDemux is cross platform software for Windows, OS X, and Linux.)

There may be other software too, however since you have not said what audio and video codec and file format your captures use, AviDemux is the best suggestion I can make. The audio and video codec and file format is usually information that anyone trying to help with a video problem needs to know. If you don't know, open a sample file with MediaInfo and copy the output from View->Text.

If the the synchronization problem gets progressively worse from start to end, that is an indication that the capture software is dropping frames and you need to change something to capture the video and audio successfully.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always thought sync problems were more likely in capture scenarios where the audio and video cables
    are attached to two different devices. But the Konig device capture audio and video simultaneously.

Have you tried uncompressed audio? What capture format have you tried?
    Does this device have a hardware encoder?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Oh, you're definitely a woman. No doubt now.
    lollercoaster haha
    Status - Attacked by mold spores. - Pour out a lil liquor for all the homies lost in the format wars. Sanlyn will live again, a Sanlyn v2.0 if you will
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!