VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just started to form my movie collection and I have been downloading 3 - 5 gb 720p ones for my favourite movies. Due to space problems, I want to have some 1.5 -2 gb 720p BDRips (1500 kbps - 2000 kbps overall bitrate) for my collection. Unfortunately, I don't have an LCD tv right now, but I am going to buy something between 32"- 40". These BDRips look good on a 17" computer screen. Anybody tried to view them on a 32" - 40" tv? Is is any good?
    Last edited by llllllllll; 8th Mar 2011 at 11:11.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What matters is how far away you sit from the TV. Other things being equal, sitting 2 feet away from your computer monitor is about the same as sitting 5 feet away from a 40" TV screen. But if you crank up the sharpening and other processing on the TV you may exacerbate problems with low bitrate sources.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Mar 2011 at 11:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. For average length movies, ~2 hrs, at 720p, I'd leave them as is. BD is pretty borderline at 4,500 kbs for 1080p, about half that for 720p, all things being equal, which of course they never are. It will vary by movie. I have found empirically that quality loss for AVC (H264) doesn't correlate well to bitrate past a certain point. When bitrate gets a little below borderline, it's like quality falls off the cliff.

To compress them as hard as you propose will make them look like crap, IMO. If space is tight, get another hard drive or burn them to DVDRs.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. fritzi93. I am not converting m720p's to 2000kbps BRRips. I was saying, there are already BRRips with that kind of quality on rhe internet, I just wanted to know how they look on a 40" TV
    Quote Quote  
  5. Alrighty then, correction noted.

You state you have 4-5 GB 720p rips, then you want to know how 1.5-2 GB 720p rips will look. I told you my opinion, and it doesn't matter if you're the one doing it or someone else over-compressing the hell out of it. The result *will* have ringing and posterization artifacts. How bad it will look depends somewhat on display size and viewing distance. But it's also in the eye of the beholder. Most members here have a sharp eye and little tolerance for low-bitrate artifacting.

How it will look to you is a matter of finding out for yourself.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    How bad it will look depends somewhat on display size and viewing distance. But it's also in the eye of the beholder. Most members here have a sharp eye and little tolerance for low-bitrate artifacting.

How it will look to you is a matter of finding out for yourself.
    That is the key phrase. It's what looks good to your eyes that counts the most. Most things in video tend to have a give and take aspect. The lower bitrate means lower file size but lower quality. What acceptable at any given bitrate for any given format is mostly up to you. There are breaking points and points where more and more bitrate has dimiinishing returns.

Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Most members here have a sharp eye and little tolerance for low-bitrate artifacting.
    Well except for those that pushed hard for the hair brained KVCD format. Or those who say vhs is still king.

But I do admit to having a lower tolerance than some on this website. I can tolerate slp mode on sd dvd recorders where others wouldn't go near anything lower than 2 hour mode. It also depends on the source. For movies I'm more finicky but for tv shows I can lower my threshold.

----------------------

Best piece of advice -

Test and retest.

That is all there is to it. Set a strategy, pick a format and bitrate and resolution, and test. Find what you like. Find what is tolerable. Find what is economical in terms of storage space either on harddrives or optical discs (dvd or bluray).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ha, edDV has said he can see the difference between original uncompressed HD footage in the studio and Blu-Ray encodes. I took it to mean commercial movie releases.

I believe him, he's the pro, I'm just a hobbyist. I wouldn't mind some elaboration on that though. I *think* what he's saying is he can detect lossy compression (and various types show it differently), and probably also all the digital trickery like edge enhancement, filtering, etc.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks everyone...Actually what I am looking for in terms of quality is seeing brighter colors than dvd, not seeing that much grain, and not seeing the pixels on dark or black images in the video. I know that it won't be crystal clear like an original 1080p blu-ray video ...
    Quote Quote