VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a software player that plays unfinalized DVDs from a stand alone DVD recorder?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will likely either need to finalize the disc are try and extract all of the data from the disc and burn it onto a new disc which is finalized.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think there is a software player for Windows XP that allows one to play unfinalized discs from a DVD recorder. Windows XP can't read the disc.

The only way I've been able to use them is to extract the data to a .tao file using the free version of ISOBuster, and convert that to a format my computer can play. I usually want to split it into individual programs, so I demultiplex, edit and re-multiplex. I use VOBEdit to demultiplex, though MPEG StreamClip might also work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been able to copy an unfinalized DVD recorded on my Panasonic DMR-E80H using Alcohol 120%/copy wizard/copy-on-the-fly and got good results. The original DVD (Fuji 8X DVD-R) recorded just fine on my DMR-E80H but would not finalize for some reason and was unplayable on my computer. Why my computer could copy the DVD but was unable to play it is beyond my scope of knowledge. The copy made using Alcohol 120% plays perfectly on my computer (both drives), my Panasonic, and a JVC player.
    Quote Quote